7-string scale length - is 27" the only way to go? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

7-string scale length - is 27" the only way to go?

Hi all, i'm in the market for a good 7-string, and i've played quite a lot in the past month. i like the 27" scale length based on what ive played but the opportunity has come up to ship in an axe from the states. its perfect in every way 'cept its a 25.5" scale, which to date i have found kind of 'flappy'. is a 7-string with this scale length always going to be more of a gimmick, not a committed 7? is it a valid option? and most importantly, if i get this thing and the strings are flapping in the breeze, is there anything i can do (gauge, neck change etc) except crank the action up? please take a moment to post your thoughts, the other seven string forums i've found are reaally quiet.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 05:40 AM

7-string scale length

All UV's have 25.5" scale l3engths, and owning a UV I can quite happily say that the scale length doesn't cause flapping around. I've also had a quick butchers at a 27" Baritone Ibanez in a shop to see what it was like, and I did really quite like it.

To be honest, a 25.5 sale length won't flap around unless you go into the realms of detuning, and even then if you get the correct string gauges it should feel acceptable (heavier gauges for downtuning).

However, if you don't want to use a heavier gauge then a longer scale length will make the strings taughter if you downtune, and still allow thinner gauge strings to feel, well, non flappy. Having said that, if you plan to tune it "normally" (BEADGBE) then you may find that the strings on a 27" become too taught.

The other nice thing about a longer scale length is wider frets, which is noticable, and which I thought was quite nice.

Which strings do you find flappy, and what do you tune to? It took me a while to settle on the string gauge for the low B, so maybe the guitar you've played with such a scale length hasn't had the right gauge for you?

Which guitar are you thinking of shipping in?

James
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 07:41 AM

7-string scale length

To summarize what 7 Dying Trees said, there are three factors at play when it comes to string tension: scale length, pitch and string gauge. Increasing any one of these while keeping the other two constant will increase your string tension.

If you're unhappy with the string tension on a 25.5" scale instrument, you can either raise the pitch or increase string gauge to get greater tension. If you want to down-tune, you'll probably have to go even heavier on the strings.

Keep in mind that probably 90% of the 7-strings out there are 25.5" scale, and most people find them quite acceptable. In fact, some people prefer them over the longer scale, which can be a challenge to adapt to in addition to the 7th string.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 09:01 AM

7-string scale length

I kind of figured I wasn't explaining it properly, so darren's gone and said it properly!

ooops :innocent:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 10:05 AM

7-string scale length

Quote:
darren wilson on 6:41 am on Feb. 7, 2002
To summarize what 7 Dying Trees said, there are three factors at play when it comes to string tension: scale length, pitch and string gauge. Increasing any one of these while keeping the other two constant will increase your string tension.

If you're unhappy with the string tension on a 25.5" scale instrument, you can either raise the pitch or increase string gauge to get greater tension. If you want to down-tune, you'll probably have to go even heavier on the strings.

Keep in mind that probably 90% of the 7-strings out there are 25.5" scale, and most people find them quite acceptable. In fact, some people prefer them over the longer scale, which can be a challenge to adapt to in addition to the 7th string.
yeah, the 27" scales are relatively new. Even crazy downtuners like Korn still use 25.5" scale, as is their sig model.

I still haven't had the opportunity to play a 27", although with my E.T. length fingers, I think I'll like it. My SC420, with the 25.1" scale is nearly too short. I hate Les Pauls, the scale is really uncomfortable to me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 10:30 AM

7-string scale length

Straight up. I play a 25" scale 7, and I downtune SERIOUSLY. (Gb on my 7th, 5 1/2 steps down, mind you) I use a set of .010 - .046 gauge strings for the top 6, and a .059 for the 7th, and I don't get "flappy" at all. A baritone 7 is a great idea if you downtune... maybe an acceptable one if you stay at concert pitch (I've heard some prefer it. I tune a half step down before ANY other downtuning just for a bit of tension relief, so, to each their own.) But in either case, a 25.5 scale won't be in any way a liability as long as you use the proper string gauge. Hope all this helps.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 03:22 PM

7-string scale length

Just what the others said.

Only one note:
Not only will a 27" scale guitar feel tighter when downtuned, but the notes will also sound MUCH BRIGHTER. Especially in the higher registers.
Christopher Chen and some other baritone owners on this forum will confirm that.
So I don't think the baritone is especially made to be a downtuner, but also for it's clarity.

I also play a downtuned 25.5" 7-string. It's not so that the strings are flapping round your ears, but I would prefer them a bit tighter. (personal preference).
So that's why my custom guitar will be a 27" baritone.
I once made the calculation, and a 27" guitar will result in 10 kilograms more stress (string tension) than a 25.5" scale guitar. So the strings will definately feel a bit tighter.
http://users.skynet.be/bs981341/neckprep.html

Cheers,
Joten

(Edited by GhesQi J at 3:23 pm on Feb. 7, 2002)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2002, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

7-string scale length

THANKS all! great advice, and yeah after which i will be going with my 25.5" choice. *next week i'll start a thread to get your advice on the guitar i have in mind and if anyone thinks i could do better for the money. i gotta say im so impressed/relieved to get intelligent comments from a 7 forum!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2002, 12:00 PM

7-string scale length

GhesQi J, I hear ya. Even tho I am completely satisfied with the scale length on my 2027 (25.5), I still will probably have any customs I recieve set to a baritone scale length, just for that added brightness. My fingers are so tough anyway, that standard tension doesn't even faze me in the least.

Tags
custom guitar , darren wilson , gauge strings , les paul , les pauls , string gauges , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode