7 string tunigs - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

7 string tunigs

Hey Guys,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I'm going to post this anyways. I've been experimenting a lot with my seven strings. I do this especially when everything I play seems repetitve or just plain sucks!! Different tunigs can sometimes help you get out of this rut.

The first tuning is pretty simple. I've noticed in guitar mags that whenever they transcribe seven string songs to six strings they use from low to high (BEADF#B). Well, you can do this on a seven string as well. Tune your G string down to F#. This gives you (B E A D F# B E). What's the advantage? You'll notice that from strings 2-7 are just like a standard 6 string tuned to B. So now, your guitar will feel like a regular six string with a high A. A slight variation on this would also be to drop the high E to B(string 2). This gives you (B E A D F# B B).

Here's another tuning that I found. I like to ocassionally play six strings in drop D tuning. Well, you can also do this with seven string by dropping the low E to D and the low B to A. So you now have, (A D A D G B E).

I would like to eventually do what Sevenstringer had mentioned which was to have the guitar tuned low to high CGCFADG. I'm assuming he's doing this with a set for six strings and buying an extra string. The people at the GC counter said that they would do this and I'm going to do this next time I change strings.

One last thing, with the advent of Meshuggah's latest album release, I've tried to play to the record and noticed that the lowest note is F#. I'm also trying to tune my guitar to match theirs. I've done this with my Cazares' model but it's highly unstable. I can only do this with my BC Rich Assassin 7 because it has a fixed bridge.

Sorry for the long winded post but I invite you to experiment with these tunings and share what you've done.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 12:11 PM

Well, I've always wanted to do a Tea Party/Staind combo ripoff:

G# C# G# C# G# C# D#
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:20 PM

After relistening to Nothing, the lowest note is actually Bb (one octave lower than their regular 7 string tuning), as timdog said in another thread. That's just one a couple of songs (Spasm, Nebulous for instance). Most common tuning seems to be either F or E.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:25 PM

How about a 7 string adaption of the guitarist in Mudvayne's tuning?
I believe he's tuned B, F#, B, E, G#, C#
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 06:16 PM
Banned

You are correct on my tuning christianc. I buy a 11-52 set with a wound G and then I add a 9 as a high string to come up with the perfect tension for the CGCFADG tuning.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 12:29 PM

Re: 7 string tunigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianc
One last thing, with the advent of Meshuggah's latest album release, I've tried to play to the record and noticed that the lowest note is F#. I'm also trying to tune my guitar to match theirs. I've done this with my Cazares' model but it's highly unstable. I can only do this with my BC Rich Assassin 7 because it has a fixed bridge.
I don't know if this helps at all, but i know the guys have been playing custom 8-strings on that disc... I've only heard a tiny bit of their stuff, (it was a bit much on the first listen, but it might grow on me- i like music with a more, er, "cohesive" groove) but i definately intend on picking their new one up first chance i get- I'm currently pretty happy with 7-strings, but i'd LOVE to hear what you could do with the 8th.

-Drew

EDIT: PS- how the hell do you pronounce their name, anyway? No one 've met in person has ever mentioned them (or probably even heard of them), so i have NO idea which syllable gets the stress... Is it MESH-ug-gah or Mesh-UG-gah? or even Mesh-ug-GAH? Just wondering...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 03:17 PM

I usually stress the second syllable (i.e. mesh-UG-gah). But then again, no one I've talked to around here knows anything about them, so they all assume I'm right.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 04:29 PM

Re: 7 string tunigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianc
To achive that tuning, in addition to having a really heavey set of strings you also need to pull the intonation way back. For some reason the longer the string the tighter and more responsive it is. I don't think the Ibanez Lo-Pro 7, or any 7-string bridge for that matter, can go back far enough to enable the proper tension to handle a low F#. An actuall 8 srting bridge is a little longer to compensate for more intonation "freedom". Almost like having a barritone guitar with a 25.5 inch scale. For example, My Cazeras 7 string is set up for the "Korn" tuning, a whole step down to A, and the intonation is pulled almost as far back as it can go. F# is just to friggin low for a 7 string. If you play any chords past the 4th of 5th fret the intonation is going to be really out of whack and sound horrible. There just comes a time on a guitar where you just can't go any lower and to solve it just add an extra string. I'm pretty sure that's the reason the guys in Meshuggah decided to go with the 8-strings and because they actually play past the 4th fret and wanted to keep the high E.
Then there is always the argument with players that say I don't need a 7-string,(or 8-string in this case) I can just tune mine down to whatever I need. But that's another story. It sounds like poop.
I was going to have a company called Abyss build me an 8 string to match up to my bass players 9-string bass because I couldn't get my 7 to go that low. Plus I wanted to retain the high E string. Most of the time I spent talking to the Abyss guys was spent figuring out the bridge. But before it really got started I had a "personal" crisis and had to delay the project for a while unfortunately. In the end I'll probably just end up with a fanned fret Conklin 8-string.

Just my $.02

Oh yeah, also just wanted to say that I don't want the 8-string to play the ultra de-tuned metal. The band I'm in that I want it for, Kickstart Chubby, is more of a funk/jazz Primus type of gig. We're known for having the most strings in a 3-piece and a drummer with a very minimal kit.
Just a note.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 02:02 PM

I'm pretty sure it's pronounced meh-SHUG-gah or muh-SHUG-gah.

In Spasm and Nebulous both guitars and bass are tuned to Bb0 (~30Hz). Fredrick told me that they were screwing around and decided to tune really low. Spasm really was an experiment that Tomas came up with and almost didn't make the album.. (best song on the album IMO). Fred said that 8th string was really floppy! :] The tuning on the rest of the album is F-Bb-Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb I think.. but I haven't checked all the songs yet.

I told Fredrick I was curious to hear how the 8 strings sound live and he said "so am I.." since they haven't played out with them yet. My real question is will they be able to play some of their old material on the 8 stringers.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog
My real question is will they be able to play some of their old material on the 8 stringers.
If the top 7 strings are the same tuning as they used on their older material, then yes, with minor adjustments to technique. It's just a matter of avoiding that extra string in your picking. Or transposing it down.

I figure they'll probably just pull out the 7s for the stuff that they don't need the 8s for.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 06:43 PM

Yah,
My main concern about the 8 strings is will they "djent" the same as the RG7620's. Like what type of pickup are they using in there? I should have asked Fred when I had the chance.. doh.

But I guess they could switch guitars too though.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 02:06 AM

At least Perpetual Black Second and Organic Shadows are in E tuning, the rest seem to be in F (excepting Spasm (and maybe one part in Nebulous -- could just be that they're bringing down the bass to Bb) then). Oh, judging by a quick listen, they go down to E in Straws Pulled at Random too (02:37).

This seems to suggest they have them tuned in E? Seems highly impractical to have two different yet very close tunings on dividing the album in two. Sure, they could always transpose live I guess, but that seems pretty stupid to me. And contrary to what this new album might suggest, they are not stupid. It was just a mistake. A mistake, yes.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Since we're talking about the 8 strings Meshuggah used, let me say that there is someone else using an 8 string guitar. His name is Paul Galbraith. He's a classical guitar player who uses an 8 string classical guitar. The guitar is physically set up like a cello. This means that it rests on a metal spike and plays upright. His playing is good. I like all types of guitar players whether they are metal, jazz, blues, classical, etc.. For those interested the site can be found here:

http://www.paulgalbraith.com/paulmain.html

Chris
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the link.

I imagine you can come up with some interesting arrangements with that thing. Playing the guitar semi-vertical could be limiting though.. especially for chord voicings. Unless you are triple jointed or something.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 03:24 PM

heres a funny tuning. tune down to
A,E,A,D,G,B,E

thats my signature tunning!

Tags
dean evo , fanned fret , fixed bridge , guitar mag , guitar players , string bass , string bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode