7-string virgin here ;-) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

7-string virgin here ;-)

I've been trying to perfect my art on 6 strings for the past 7 years of my playing life, and have even resisted picking up a 7-string in order to artistically appreciate it more when I finally do. I also managed to avoid the whole Korn bandwagon-jumping by doing so as well. ;-) But now I feel it's time to take the plunge and re-learn everything with that beautiful extra string!

Basically I'm looking for an affordable 7-string (i.e. under $600-700) that will serve as a workhorse for practising and gigging, with a *fixed* bridge. I was looking at an RG7321; it meets my specs and looks rather sweet for the price (locally, 350 English). Would this be suitable as a beginner's model, and do you veterans have comments about this axe, or have other suggestions? Cheers for the help!

(Edited by generalhammond at 9:45 pm on Mar. 23, 2002)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 10:09 PM

7-string virgin here ;-)

I think everyone here would advise you to stay away from anything Korean made. for under $500, you can pick up a new Japanese RG7621.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

7-string virgin here ;-)

Having a non-fixed bridge will pose a problem for me, as well as being in the UK. We don't have the unending variations of models at good prices on these shores, and we also have crap weather and Robbie Williams.

Unless there are Brits on this forum who can help too...
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 10:19 PM

7-string virgin here ;-)

the RG7621 IS a fixed bridge model...

(Edited by snakepit at 10:22 pm on Mar. 23, 2002)
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

7-string virgin here ;-)

Really? Awesome! Now to find one...lol

The only models that stores seem to stock here are the RG7321 and RG7420, both Korean I think. Time to get on the case. Thanks for your help Snakepit, and this thread is still open so guys post your advice!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-23-2002, 10:49 PM

7-string virgin here ;-)

Quote:
generalhammond on 10:27 pm on Mar. 23, 2002
Really? Awesome! Now to find one...lol

The only models that stores seem to stock here are the RG7321 and RG7420, both Korean I think. Time to get on the case. Thanks for your help Snakepit, and this thread is still open so guys post your advice!
That's because the RG-7620 (Lo-Pro equipped model) and RG-7621 went out of production a while ago. *The RG7421 I believe is only available as an XL model (27" scale), although if you spot one, try it out, I've heard that if you like the extra scale, you love it, but if you don't like it, you hate it. *
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 01:19 AM

7-string virgin here ;-)

i think the 7321 has a very good quality/price ratio. it isn't in the ibanez site anymore, so i assume it's discontinued, which could mean a great deal on blowout sometime soon.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 11:36 AM

7-string virgin here ;-)

Quote:
caprile on 1:19 am on Mar. 24, 2002
i think the 7321 has a very good quality/price ratio. it isn't in the ibanez site anymore, so i assume it's discontinued, which could mean a great deal on blowout sometime soon.
Yes it is.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-24-2002, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

7-string virgin here ;-)

My adventures continue...been checking out the Carvin DC727s, and they look pretty darn sweet. I might have to pay a little more, but the craftsmanship looks like it might be worth every penny.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 03:39 AM

7-string virgin here ;-)

i cant say ive ever tried the carvin, but i have heard nothing but "wow" about them
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 04:49 AM

7-string virgin here ;-)

Cheap 7's... I know what you mean, they cost a bomb here. What you may want to look into is getting one imported from the US which is how I got my second UV. Bought it of ebay and had it shipped. Still cheaper than buying it second hand over here. And if you manage to ship it with a low insurance value then the import should be pretty negligable.

I tried the 7321, and although it is nice, you do have to file down the screws that stick out of the saddles, as they can cut up your hand a bit...
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

7-string virgin here ;-)

Yay! A fellow Londonite!

I think I'm gonna go Carvin...I contacted the UK distributor and they said the guitar, plus hard case, import duty and shipping will cost 715. Stick a few options in there (straplocks, black chrome hardware, blueburst finish...mmm...) and it basically comes out just under 800. But what's a few extra quid when you can get a guitar to your exact specs?

I'm happy, very happy indeed!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 09:33 AM

7-string virgin here ;-)

800???? Dude! You can get an old UV for that much! Seriously! That's how I got mine. It was about that much including shipping and import duty! And they have excellent trems, sweet necks to boot!

But it depends on what you want. I've always loved the green UV's (evil lookin') and they play fantastic. If you want to try before you buy there's a little jam happening sometime next week or the weekend after. simon (-> cerealk ) knows about it!

All depends wether you mind buying second hand or not.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

7-string virgin here ;-)

I'm not a fan of UVs I have to say, too 80s hair/shred for me lol. I've also bought a few higher-end second hand guitars and they never feel like 'my' guitar...call me weird, but there you go. I'm fully prepared to shell out a bit extra for a guitar that's built to *my* preferences and by a quality company.

And while we're on the topic of being inferior to the mighty America do you have any experience with using American amps with UK voltage? I'm assuming a fat-assed transformer is required...?
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 01:18 PM

7-string virgin here ;-)

GeneralHammond,

I've got two Ibanez 7s (RG2027 and a RG7CT) and two Carvins (DC727 and DC747) so let me know if you have any detailed questions (subjective or objective). *I'll try to answer any you have. *I bought my DC747 off of the guy in Alaska who's selling another DC747 right now on eBay (silver sparkly one).

Randy

Tags
chrome hardware , coil tap , death metal , ebony board , ebony fretboard , fixed bridge , fixed bridge model , ibanez guitars , pointy headstock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode