7 Strings Don't Die - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

7 Strings Don't Die

Well, the other day I walked into my guitar dealer, I looked around and didnt see ANY 7 string guitars. So I asked the shop assistant if they had any around or if they were getting any in. The reply was:

"No we don't get any 7 strings in unless theyre ordered, there isnt really many people out there that want to buy a seven string... but there are still a few dedicated 7 stringers"

I thought that was a bit silly, because i come to a forum like this and see how many people there are that use 7 bangers. How many people is "a few", I think the 7 string audience is getting much bigger, not smaller.

So I put this here so people can say that theyre a proud 7 banger, and say what 7 strings they own... and anything else.

I own a WG587 Washburn 7 string, i think theyve been discontinued.
And a Brand new UV777Bk, tis beautiful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 03:54 PM

7-strings started out slow when Steve Vai brought out the UV, they got sold ok for a while, but disappeared. Then Korn hit it big, and 7-strings became a fad. That died, and we're just now reaching the end of the "You use a 7-string? That's such a Korn rip-off" phase. In other words, 7-strings are gradually building a following of their own, obviously in heavier genres mostly. Now they're being respected not for what famous guitarist uses them, but what they can be used for.

Heck, even Alanis Morrisette has a song with 7-strings on it ("Joining You" from something like 5 years back).
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say, lol. When I first got my 7 string, everyone just kept asking me what korn songs I had learnt.
But straight up I was just learning Taproot and just low tuned songs on the guitar, but we blessed must understand the deprivation of those without the 7th gift. .
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 09:42 PM

Um, from a musical perspective, much as I love Taproot, there's very little difference between them and Korn. Awesome vocal harmonies and a little more melodic riffing, but that's about it...

In all honesty? i got into 7's because i liked the idea of the symmetry. That and my strat sounded massive when I tuned it down to B.

-D
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 10:50 PM

i got into playing seven strings because that low end sounds amazing. it makes it so much easier to riff away for some reason.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I play Seven strings for the extended range, the thicker neck just feels more like what I think a guitar should be. I tune to AEADGBE so i get the extra low, without losing those extra 2 notes at 23rd and 24th fret lol.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Um, from a musical perspective, much as I love Taproot, there's very little difference between them and Korn. Awesome vocal harmonies and a little more melodic riffing, but that's about it...
Actually, they're a little more like an angrier, less depressed Staind.

Who are kinda like a mellower, more depressed (tho not as much now) version of Korn.

But overall, they all have their own distinctive styles that I enjoy.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two hands31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Actually, they're a little more like an angrier, less depressed Staind.

Who are kinda like a mellower, more depressed (tho not as much now) version of Korn.

But overall, they all have their own distinctive styles that I enjoy.
ha ha ha, ill go with the taproot staind comparison but the staind and korn one seems a little different, easily in the same genre, that works with anything, alot of people might not be able to figure out if theyre listening to vai or satch, it just depends on how deep you are into that style.

but back to the topic, im recently getting over people asking me whether i want to be korn or not. i admit, they (korn) did have a huge pull on me at first, then i ventured out to do my own. i liked the idea of being able the have a standard tuned guitar for bright melodies then kick in a gut grinding nut kicking riff at the lower end then before someone new it i could go back to playing a cute little G chord.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 06:35 AM

Re: 7 Strings Don't Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsexman
Well, the other day I walked into my guitar dealer, I looked around and didnt see ANY 7 string guitars. So I asked the shop assistant if they had any around or if they were getting any in. The reply was:

"No we don't get any 7 strings in unless theyre ordered, there isnt really many people out there that want to buy a seven string... but there are still a few dedicated 7 stringers"
It's hard to get a straight answer from those guys sometimes. There's no question in my mind that there are tons more people who play 7's than when the Universe 7 first came out.

I've got a Schecter A-7 w/EMGs and a 7620 w/EMGs.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 03:30 AM

Dunno, I just play death metal on my 7 string... Course, B tuning has been around forever in that genre.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 08:22 AM

A LOT of the songs I write require 7-strings...but I still don't have one yet. I'll probably end up with an RG7620 in the semi-near future (Read: when I get the money)...
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 04:37 PM

I bought mine in '95, after the Vai phase and before the Korn fad. I was inspired by Dream Theater and Vai to get mine. I don't think there were that many 7 players in the early days because of the cost of the instruments, near or over $2000 (kept me away)!! The old man in the music store where I bought it didn't know or care anything about it, and the setup was horrible when I demoed it, although I knew what these guitars could do. I got it for $600 with case in excellent condition LOL, everyone was trying to be grungy at that time so it wasn't really in demand.

Most of the people that have played mine are puzzled by it, because of course takes some getting used to for sure. But that doesn't bother me, I kind of like the idea that not everyone can play them well, makes it a special talent to really have control of it. I love mine, I can play even superfast things on it very close to any 6 string, and better than many, and the sounds that come out of it are amazing.....
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 04:50 PM

Lately I've been using my 7-string for everything, though I do use my 6-string when I want to bash something around that I don't care about, and use drop-D/C#/C/whatever tunings

I love surprising people by playing things on it they wouldn't expect. I'm having lots of fun playing in drop-A and doing punk songs
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 05:28 PM

Well, I love 7-strings . I own 2.5 Universes (erm, being facetious- 2 Universes and a custom with UV77PWH neck).

I don't shred, though (well ok, I can't- I suck), but I'm learning the 7-string jazz stuff, and it's pretty nice for that. I tune the 7th to a low A.

My biggest regret was passing up a RG2027 on sale. Some guy ordered one through my local music store and changed his mind. They offered it to me for $900 and I said no...because I was buying a Universe at that time. Thought I could pick one up later. ahhh fool...shortly after they were discontinued.

But no, I think 7-strings are great. I love that wide neck, full of possibilities!

wemedge
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-30-2003, 06:50 PM

proud ibanez rg1077xl owner here

much more versatility than 6 strings (kind of figures eh )

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , death metal , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , local music store , morbid angel , music store , stephen carpenter , steve vai , strat sound , string bass , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode