7 strings at NAMM - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

7 strings at NAMM

I probably should have titled this "7 strings NOT at NAMM". There sure weren't many. I didn't make it by the Schecter or ESP booths, so maybe they had some that I missed, but the only 7 strings I saw were a couple at the Ibanez booth, one nice archtop at the Eastman booth, a very odd headless 7 string from Teufel in Germany, and the two of mine that I brought. It seems like we've become a very small cult.

A few other random notes about the show:

Conklin did have an 8 string. It was a hard tail with a 25.5 inch scale and no fanned frets. The added strings were a B and an F#.

Eddie K came by and said hello at the Dimarzio booth. It was really nice to hook up and put a face to the name.

I didn't see any XL's at the Ibanez booth. I asked a couple of the Hoshino folks about them and no one had any idea what I was talking about. Did anyone else hear any XL news at the show? It would be a real shame if such great guitars were discontinued.

I same Steve Vai signing autographs and the lineup was enormous. It was the same thing when I was there two years ago. Ironically, I saw him wandering around the show a couple times on his own and no one was paying any attention to him at all.

Anyone one else got anything to report?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 02:55 PM

It definitely looks like the 7-string trend has morphed into the long-neck baritone 6 trend.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:01 PM
EKG

I noodled with Jim's Swan when he wasn't looking. (C'mon people...I'm talking about his guitars! ). I really want one of the 6 string models.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 03:14 PM

Actually, i forgot about the standard-scale Stephen Carpenter ESP/LTD model that was introduced.

http://espguitars.com/sig_stephen.htm

So at least SOMEBODY is still interested in playing 7s.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 06:21 PM

You're absolutely right, Darren. A couple of years ago Epiphone comes out with a Les Paul 7-string. Well, Like most 7's, it was discontinued right away. A brief little break, then this year at NAMM, they introduce a baritone 6.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwolf
You're absolutely right, Darren. A couple of years ago Epiphone comes out with a Les Paul 7-string. Well, Like most 7's, it was discontinued right away. A brief little break, then this year at NAMM, they introduce a baritone 6.
Yes, but that's because so many really really sh!tty 7-strings were made They weren't all high-end Ibanezes, and let's face it, the Les Paul 7 was a bad idea from the start, simply because they didn't change the scale length from the 6-string version.

Schecter has a baritone 7-string coming though, and it looks promising

ESP has the Carpenter models (baritone and non-baritone)

And Jackson's custom shop still seems to do them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 07:28 PM

I just checked out http://eastmanguitars.com It looks like they have some realy cool guitars there. I'm very happy to see a 7 string archtop for under 3K since the AF 207 went out of production. Jim, did you get a chance to play the one at NAMM?

Thanks!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trajectory fish
I just checked out http://eastmanguitars.com It looks like they have some realy cool guitars there. I'm very happy to see a 7 string archtop for under 3K since the AF 207 went out of production. Jim, did you get a chance to play the one at NAMM?

Thanks!
I did. It's a nice guitar, especially for the money. They didn't get a functional 7 string until late on the 2nd day pf the show and then they struggled a bit with the setup, but they eventually got it right. There were a few things that didn't blow me away. I didn't care for the peg head design at all and I don't find their violin finish to be at all attractive, but the basic quality is quite good and the tone has a strong acoustic element. They recently increased the scale length from 25" to 25.5" which I consider to be a big plus.

The whole Eastman concept is very interesting, American designs, American supervision, Chinese labor. That's how they managed to bring the price in for under $3000. What I don't know his how they intend to make a lot of money out of this. They're doing a lot of expensive promotion and I just wonder if there's enough of a demand for carved top archtops to justify the investment.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:37 AM

I was looking around the site a bit more, and The made in china thing opens up some questions (for me at least) about wood harvesting methods, labor conditions, etc.
So, all of the production is supervised by the company?

thanks!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trajectory fish
I was looking around the site a bit more, and The made in china thing opens up some questions (for me at least) about wood harvesting methods, labor conditions, etc.
So, all of the production is supervised by the company?

thanks!
You're right. It does raise a whole bunch of questions. I was told at the show that all the supervision was done by the company, but I also spoke this morning to an American company trying to move their manufacturing to Asia and they told me that their supervision was absolutely useless since they didn't speak the local language. So who knows how much power Eastman has?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 02:19 AM

Hopefully this will at least get some more jazzers trying 7 strings, with more appeal to the market where a 7 string is more useful than a detuned 6
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:47 AM

I've played a few Eastmans, and think they're fine instruments. I like the violin stain a lot, also. Getting a hand carved archtop for 2200 is pretty unheard of, but that's about what they get for them. I don't know if I'd get one over a D'Angelico NY-2 though (but probably). The D'Angelico's top is pressed. I haven't played or seen an Eastman 7. The Eastman struck me as a copy of a Buscarino.
Eastman makes reputable violins in it's Chinese plant from what I hear.

jim
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
I've played a few Eastmans, and think they're fine instruments. I like the violin stain a lot, also. Getting a hand carved archtop for 2200 is pretty unheard of, but that's about what they get for them. I don't know if I'd get one over a D'Angelico NY-2 though (but probably). The D'Angelico's top is pressed. I haven't played or seen an Eastman 7. The Eastman struck me as a copy of a Buscarino.
Eastman makes reputable violins in it's Chinese plant from what I hear.

jim
I think the violin finish is really a matter of taste. It's a very different look for a guitar, but they are now offering both a natural finish and a sunburst as alternatives and I really liked the look of the natural finish a lot. The 7 string is about $500 more than the 6 string which still makes it a tremendous bargain compared to even the least expensive US made alternative.

Eastman sponsored an evening of music featuring John Pisano on the Saturday night of the show. There were a number of other wold class players involved and most of them played Eastmans. It was an incredible show and the guitars sounded fantastic. We couldn't stay for the entire evening, but we did get to hear Anthony Wilson for about 40 minutes. He's not an Eastman endorser, but he played one for the set and he just sounded unbelievably good, so clearly they're doing a lot of things right with these guitars.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 12:41 AM

Re: 7 strings at NAMM

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to hear some recent comments on Eastmans, especially the 7 strings, if anyone has played one lately.

I'm on the verge of getting the 7-string, but would not be able to play it before plunking down my cash to put one on order.

For 7-string archtops (full hollow) at the low-end price range, there are really very few options except for Eastman...

wemedge

Tags
custom shop , fanned fret , fanned frets , les paul , stephen carpenter , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode