7 Strings and Picking technique - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

7 Strings and Picking technique

Okay..this is complicated but I'm looking for advice.

When I pick a lick from the low E string up to the high E string I have to shift between 2 hand positions:

1) Low E to D strings - Resting the side of my palm along the trem. Looks almost like the "Okay" hand symbol.

2) G to High E strings - Resting my wrist on the trem and my hand being flat wth the guitar (like Paul Gilbert picks).

I practice with Rusty Cooley and he mentioned that this is huring my technique. He himself plays a 7 string and he picks consistently like #2. I have noticed that if I start picking from the A string then I can stick to 2. I would LIKE to stick to that picking technique from low E to high E but the angle isn't right for it on low E...so here's the idea..

I thought that since the 7 string has that extra string that could enable me to get the right angle to pick like style #2 from low E to high E.

What do y'all think?

[I've never played or owned a 7 string, so the next question will be which on I should get]

Thanks!

Last edited by BigShred; 12-11-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 05:04 PM

Re: 7 Strings and Picking technique

I think that if you're used to this kind of picking, the 7th string won't make you adopt #2. You don't need an extra string to develop a new picking technique. You just need it for THE sound (and the extended harmonic possibilities).

on the second question: GET ONE (you won't regret it)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 05:29 PM

Reviews: 6

I never gave it much thought... I picked up a 7 string, said "hey an extra string" and played the thing. If anything the adjustment is in my fretting hand, not my picking.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:33 PM

I don't have the guitar with me right now so I'm trying to picture my wrist doing so. Anyway what I know I do is from E to E strings is pivot my wrist but kinda the bottom center of my palm as the axis, resting it on the bridge. I also keep my pinky and ring fingers on the body of the guitar at all times kind of a support and as 'whiskers' or a reference point for my hand.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:34 PM

The extra string shouldn't realy alter your picking style but if your looking for alternative styles to use, may I offer up mine.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lhtYl_iGMdc

I'm actualy left handed (although I play righty) so it has taken me a long time to gain a command of my right hand. I anchor my little finger on the body and rest my palm on the bridge. If I've got my little finger with the pad of it touching the guitar I'll be palm muting. Where as if I roll up onto the tip of my pinky it raises my whole hand so I'm playing without any muting. I just use a combo of this to suit. I also play with 3 fingers on the pick. I know this wont be suited to everyones tastes but it adss control/stability for me seeing as my right hand is my "weaker" hand.

Eggy
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 PM

OK. Now I have the guitar so let me correct my before analyzation a little. I rest the outer edge of my palm on the bridge, and anchor my pinky on the body just above and to the right of the bridge humbucker. I also have my hand angle about 45 degrees (not parallel to the body) and the pick angled 45 degrees as well. I use Jazz III picks but that shouldn't make a difference.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:26 PM
S-O

If you are using the palm on the bridge for palm muting sounds, and that is the sound you want, then dont change it.

If you are doing this to eliminate string noise, try this, it is almost identical to the paul gilbert hand technique, minus a few personal things such as fingers close or fanned.

Use the flesh of the thumb that is closest to the strings and 'rest' it on idle bass strings, the left hand should be able to eliminate treble string noise simply by being there and touching the strings you aren't playing on, but not the fingertips just the flesh of the finger.

hold your hand out karate chop style, then bend the fings in like you would for some Jet Li palm strike thing, then relax them but not extend them. Then grab the pick between your thumb and index finger, either pinch it in a flattened/oval version of the OK sign, or hold it like a key. I find a middle ground between these two 'extremes' the best and most comfortable, on the side of the index finger closest to the finger nail touching a bit of my finger print.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Having another string represents the following two things: 1) Having access to a few additional notes to extend your chops onto, 2) Another thing to manage and worry about in terms of mutting.

If your technique is not yet fully proficient in dealing with six strings, then do not even bother trying seven, as it will take you longer and that may discourage you in the process. Ask your master whether he developed his great technique playing six or seven string guitars. Go one step at a time, don't try to fly until you know how to walk perfectly. The leap to sevens will likely occur naturally in time and will be much more easier if your technique is well refined on six strings first.

Actually, directly addressing your last question, the seventh will require a bit of adjustment in your mutting technique to ensure the low B is also well mutted when you play. So, no, a 7-string guitar will not help you with your mutting habits, but make things more difficult, IMO.

Last edited by Gusfmm; 12-12-2007 at 10:48 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusfmm View Post
If your technique is not yet fully proficient in dealing with six strings, then do not even bother trying seven...

Ask your master whether he developed his great technique playing six or seven string guitars....
My "master"?

A whole slough of positive and beneficial posts I've been following, then I get this one from someone who apparently still thinks we have slaves in the USA.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:05 AM

Talking Re: 7 Strings and Picking technique

[QUOTE=BigShred;756828]My "master"?

Yes?

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
My "master"?

A whole slough of positive and beneficial posts I've been following, then I get this one from someone who apparently still thinks we have slaves in the USA.
Why should you always get utterly sensitive about such insignificat things, it always seems to be related to your INSTRUCTOR. Is that better???

Haven't you heard Mr. Steve Vai call "master" his INSTRUCTOR, Mr. Joe Satriani? Ever? Well, Mr. Vai doesn't hesitate to call him so. But you do. Gee... By the way, for clarification purposes and your own benefit, that was intended to be a compliment.

Besides, I don't get what kind of linkage there is between the term "master" and slavery... Nonsense. If you have semantic doubts about it, just look it up on the Webster dictionary, that always helps:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/master
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusfmm View Post
Why should you always get utterly sensitive about such insignificat things, it always seems to be related to your INSTRUCTOR. Is that better???

Haven't you heard Mr. Steve Vai call "master" his INSTRUCTOR, Mr. Joe Satriani? Ever? Well, Mr. Vai doesn't hesitate to call him so. But you do. Gee... By the way, for clarification purposes and your own benefit, that was intended to be a compliment.

Besides, I don't get what kind of linkage there is between the term "master" and slavery... Nonsense. If you have semantic doubts about it, just look it up on the Webster dictionary, that always helps:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/master
Ummm, dude WTF are you doing in this thread? Click elsewhere...

By the way, thanks to everyone else. I really appreciated and benefited from your responses.

As for Gus...whatever...

Last edited by BigShred; 12-13-2007 at 03:42 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:08 PM

chill folks...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 AM

could you settle for some middle position between the 2?
presumably rusty is teaching you to shred it big style so you will be after a floating trem'd 7 stringer, which will mean you will have to stop resting your hand on the bridge altogether so it might be worth going for a complete reinvention of some sort and doing something along the lines of the petrucci style where you leave your pinky planted and rest your forearm on the guitar. depends if you have a wristy style or an army one really!
on the 7 string recommendations: i own an RG1527 and found the transition dead easy from a 6 to that, and it is killer in every way
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timi_h View Post
could you settle for some middle position between the 2?
presumably rusty is teaching you to shred it big style so you will be after a floating trem'd 7 stringer, which will mean you will have to stop resting your hand on the bridge altogether so it might be worth going for a complete reinvention of some sort and doing something along the lines of the petrucci style where you leave your pinky planted and rest your forearm on the guitar. depends if you have a wristy style or an army one really!
on the 7 string recommendations: i own an RG1527 and found the transition dead easy from a 6 to that, and it is killer in every way
Timi, yeah that is what I had in mind: a floating trem 7. I had my eyes on the RG8427 but it costs a pretty penny. I might sell one of my Caparisons to get it.

I think the best thing is for me to take some video to exemplify what I'm talking about and where and how I want to improve. It appears that at least one individual is under the wishful impression that I suck and am pleading for help. I guess I'll just take some video to clarify what kind of advice I am looking for.

Thanks to timi and the rest of you guys...

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , jem neck , joe satriani , lower strings , palm muting , paul gilbert , picking technique , rusty cooley , seven string guitars , steve vai , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode