7620 pickup choices - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

7620 pickup choices

Hi

What kind of pickups do people recommend in this guitar? And how are the stock ones?

Thanks

track7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 10:35 PM

i left the stock dimarzios alone. IMO, they are good enough (with the right amp)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 09:20 AM

From my limited playing time on one, I like the sound of the stocks. But your call.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 11:56 AM

I've owned and played a whole gaggle of 7 strings over the years and I, apparently contrary to others experiences, found the pickups in the RG760 to be terrible.

My RG7620 has a PAF Pro in the neck (which I love) and an Evo7 in the bridge (which I hate). If I had to change anything I'd probably put a Tone Zone 7 in the bridge.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 01:03 PM

whats the prob with the evo7??
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 01:51 PM

I put the evolution 7s in my RG7621 and I thought they sounded great. DiMarzios are not my favorite pickup of choice but the evolution 7s were cheap and they did sound alot better than the stock DiMarzio pickups.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 03:24 PM

I agree with Skarekrough, the stock 'new7' pickups did nothing for me.. They sounded muddy, and overwound past usefulness..

THough, I personally really like the Evo7, it has a ton of midrange, whch I like in a pickup.. Sounds great paired with an Air Norton7 neck pickup..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 01:33 PM

Yeah... The New7's would probably rock for nu-metal rhythm- loads of mud there. I went with an Air Norton/tone Zone combo. I'm in love with the norton- very clear and defined, and responsive to harmonics. The Tone Zone is a little weak in the high end for me, while still managing to sound a tad "fizzy" distorted. Go figure. I might try an evo on my 2027 (PAF Pro in the neck, tone zone in the bridge, which i REALLY don't like in the mahogany- it really is pretty decent in the basswood), althuygh i've heard great things about the seymour Duncan JB, so i might go that route. Who knows.

Anyway, the New7's aren't BAD pickups, they just didn't offer what i was looking for.

_Drew
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
The Evo7s are the "Vai In A Box" sound....which is great if you like his sound and want his sound at all possible times. I found the pickup to be have much less character and extremely limiting for what I play.

Many of the other pickups in the Dimarzio line I feel have much more character and are much more versatile than the Evo7. The TZ7 and the PAF Pro 7 come immediately to mind; both clean up reasonably well and have much more warmth and tweakability tone-wise.

I currently have an Evo7 in the bridge of my RG7620. If anyone wants to trade for a PAF Pro7 or a TZ7 drop me a line.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 09:13 AM

I have just fitted an Evo7 in my rg7620 and to be honest it sounds awesome,plenty of mid and plenty of sounds with various amounts of tweakage,I'd personally recommend them.

BTW if you over drive just as they start to break up they sound sOooooooo Lush

Rob
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 02:23 PM

I use the Blaze Custom in the bridge position of both my Universe, and RG7-620GN.
It's has much the same character as the Blaze pickup that is stock in the Universe models, but with a bit more output, and a higher spike in the midrange.
It's much tighter and more versatile than the New7 from the RG7s. That was the real problem I found with the New7 bridge model; it sounded a little 'diffuse' and vague.

I can highly recommend these - I don't hear many talking about this particular pickup much around here.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-26-2002, 05:50 PM

When I get a 7620 (or 1077xl some day...) I'll probably switch out the p-ups to Blazes or Blaze Customs. I'll see how I like the stockers first though over time.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 06:03 AM

Personally after having taken care of a friends 7620 for a week or two i can say I don't like the stock pickups. Too muddy and loose, not enough character. Bland in effect. I'd replace them with something else
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
Quote:
The Evo7s are the "Vai In A Box" sound....which is great if you like his sound and want his sound at all possible times. I found the pickup to be have much less character and extremely limiting for what I play.

Many of the other pickups in the Dimarzio line I feel have much more character and are much more versatile than the Evo7. The TZ7 and the PAF Pro 7 come immediately to mind; both clean up reasonably well and have much more warmth and tweakability tone-wise.

I currently have an Evo7 in the bridge of my RG7620. If anyone wants to trade for a PAF Pro7 or a TZ7 drop me a line.
what do you play?
i'm playing prog-metal/fusion.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-27-2002, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarekrough
Quote:

what do you play?
i'm playing prog-metal/fusion.
I tend to go between some different things tonally; the two big ones are harder-edged metal and blues. For the blues the Evo cleans up okay but just seems to lack presence and character. The hig-end is there but it almost seems neutered on the low-end. For metal (think Ministry/Sisters Of Mercy) the Evo also lacks the low end. There's plenty of bite on there but there's just no damned character and rooting in the low end of the audio spectrum. I usually have to have it with the PAF to give it a little bit of character when I use it otherwise it just seems lifeless to me.

The Evo may be a great pickup for you.....hell there are enough of them around to illustrate that it's a sound that is desired. But I personally don't like it all that much and have different needs than what the Evo7 delivers.

Tags
air norton , bridge position , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , neck pickup , paf pro , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode