8 pages of Les Pauls on EvilBay... - ... and the prices are - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

8 pages of Les Pauls on EvilBay... - ... and the prices are

What ever happened to supply and demand. Most of the auctions end without a bid. 3 grand for this, 2 grand for that.

I am looking to get a 74 white LPC. I used a friends for 6 years and then he grabbed it back (that basstard!!-LOL).

I have missed it for 10 years now. There is one with a crack in the headstock/neck joint and the reserve is 1100!!! The darn thing sold for 800 new.

I don't get it. A new 59 rep that they produced tons of costs more than a DNA.

I remember when Gibson jacked their prices up 200%. I was in Sam Trash in Paramus NJ, when it happened, I saw them change the tags. Was 1000 now 2000.

Sorry for the rant. There nice and everything but 3 grand for a guitar I have trouble reaching the 21st fret on? Dag....

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 07:26 PM
Vendor

8 pages of Les Pauls on EvilBay...

It's that little thing called inflation. Mine was $550 new, $1100 today
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

I am not looking for reality here Rich. I am looking for "Dave your frieking right, damnit!!!" I was on a roll and you took the wind right out of my sails!!!

Theres always one in a crowd!!!

Dave

PS - all tongue in cheek of course....
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 08:59 PM
Vendor

Damnit, what was I thinking?!?! I know I should sell it for $300, and I'd probably be ripping someone off at that!

Better?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Ahhhhhh, that's much better.

On a serious note though. With the glut that is in the used market, is price purely based on new value?

In anything else when there are so many available price goes down. How come the LP market doesn't seem affected?

Dave
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 09:25 PM
Vendor

Good question. I really don't follow the Gibson market, much. I've seen ones like mine anywhere from $900 to asking $1500. I don't know if it's an American thing or what. I always loved mine, I'd take it over any other Paul I've ever picked up. You'd swear it had a Wizzard neck on it, no baseball bats there! :biggrin: Just no whammy, which led me to Ibanez (that and I always*loved* Joes guitars!!)

There are ooodles of DY's on the market too but it's pretty hard to find a clean one under $900-1000. Chips, heavy players usually still run $600-700.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:22 PM

Because they are concidered collectables, well at least the the old ones but I don't think many people with the newer ones know that.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 01:10 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Quote: from Rich on 6:26 pm on Aug. 28, 2001
It's that little thing called inflation. Mine was $550 new, $1100 today
Hehehe... so true, unfortunately the prices on the guitars new from Gibson dictate the used prices far too much. *Who's going to sell their 1984 Les Paul for $500 when a BRAND NEW one is like $3k? *I mean, the '84 is older, so it has to be better. *:sarcasm:

I heard back around the time of the last NAMM show that Gibson had hired all the guys who renovated the Harley corporation's business image to help give their company a boost. *What happened? *I have only seen Gibson get worse. *Prices keep going up, quality keeps going down. *Cost cutting measures are supposed to CUT COST? *Right? *So why does a LP Custom keep getting higher and higher in price when most other guitars stay relatively the same?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 04:34 PM

I would also guess that collector's keep driving up the price of Gibsons. I never knew how many collectors there were until the guy who works on my guitars (Ron Pace) here in Houston told me how much work he does for people who just collect and never play the things. Some will bring a guitar with minor flaws in to have it touched up to look mint so they can resell it as mint. I was in Ron's *shop once when a guy was having an entire ES-335 refinished because of a slight buckle scratch and I pulled out my Les Paul Custom with half the finish rubbed off and I thought the guy was gonna throw up.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 02:11 AM

The used Gibson market cracks me up almost as much as the new Gibson market. IMO, the only guitar that Gibson makes that's a good deal these days is the LP Standard Double Cut (thus, why I bought one)... at least it has 24 frets and you can reach at least 22 of them easily. To have that added flexibility with standard Les Paul amenities (mahogany body, maple top, bound neck, trapezoid inlays) . As far as Gibson goes, it's a lot of guitar for under $1500.

Course, I'd probably not have bought it if Ibanez was actually cranking out some high-end fixed bridge guitars.

--B
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 02:10 PM

I agree the price of Gibsons is WAY over inflated. *But don't put all the blame on Gibson. *What about PRS? *Way too high in price too? *Yep! *I'll tell you this - I've owned 3 LP's. *All have been the best quality I could ask for in a guitar. *Tone is incredible. *But worth the price most dealers will give you? *No.

I feel I got a great deal on my Pauls. *50% off retail price. *If you can't score some deal like that new, buy used. *Eventually someone desperate will sacrifice it to make a house payment or drug fix... regardless of how you feel about the situation, you'll find the best deals here. *I bought a White Gibson LP Studio for $300 and had an opportunity to buy a Jem90 for $1000 from the same guy. *Deals will come and go. *The more guitar people you meet, the more cool deals you can ******
up!

Gabe
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 05:18 PM

Yeah, you for everyone that thinks Fender is selling a name, what about Gibson? *Custom shop Strats are a thousand less than mass produced garbage off the Gibson line.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 09:54 AM

Yeah, well I think Gibson is served extremely well by the used market prices. *It made me buy a new one instead of a used one...the priced difference was so small, I rather buy new. *I'm also extremely please with my LP. *I love the fingerboard/frets and fat neck.

Tags
custom shop , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , les paul , les paul custom , mahogany body , neck joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode