8-string bridges now available! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

8-string bridges now available!

I have officially died and gone to heaven! Hipshot is now making 8-string bridges for guitar! For us who've been wanting to step up to 8-strings, finding a bridge at a reasonable cost has been very difficult! I remember contact them about 6 months ago & they said it would cost me $350 to have it custom made. Now they're $70-80!!! WOOHOO!

Donnie & Rob, are you SEEING THIS!!!
www.hipshotproducts.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 12:08 PM

hmm....thats very good, but you still need a neck, body and pickups.
But that is one step towards it!!
Gary - The.Godfather
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 12:29 PM

Dooood I love you You know full well what i'll be buying after xmas,The ones i had made up just did'nt do the job very well,Yes they worked,But the test piece with em on we had trouble mounting wise ...

I'm all happpeeeeeee

Sir you ROCK !!!

Rob
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 03:26 PM

Hipshot built their first 7 string bridge for me and it's a great bridge, but I was a little surprised when they brought out the 8 string bridge. How long would the scale length be and how would you tune it? If you you B to B or B to A, then you have to deal with the fact that the scale length will either be too short for the low string or too long for the high string. Unless you use a completely non-standard tuning, then I think that Conklin have the right idea for an 8 string with the use of the Novax fanned fret board and a fanned fret board also needs a staggered bridge.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 04:08 PM

If i were going for more than 7 strings, i'd definitely have it built with a multiple-scale fanned fretboard. The Hipshot bridge looks nice, but it doesn't look like they've extended the tray at all to accommodate the string length differential that an 8-string would likely need for proper intonation.

I was browsing Universal Jems' new store and Brian carries single-string bridges made by ABM, which would be ideal for building a multi-scale instrument.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Ice

8 string

I'd be able to get custom 8 strings made for you guys, even with an RG body stle if you wanted.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I was browsing Universal Jems' new store and Brian carries single-string bridges made by ABM, which would be ideal for building a multi-scale instrument.
That's similar to what's on my 9 only I think mine were built by Hipshot.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 06:58 AM

That absolutle BRILLIANT! yeeehaaaa 8 string here I come
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Ice

trem

too bad they don't have a trem... we'll have to see what will come. it's doubtful a relatively good company will step up to make a 8 or 9 string trem due to the low demand. However if somebody does they'd probably throw down a patent and dominate like Floyd Rose who makes a killing.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 11:15 PM

i know that Ryan Adams can build rg bodies and necks for you.
http://www.ryanadam.com/guitars/
just ask him to make an 8 string style.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 11:26 PM

Re: trem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice
too bad they don't have a trem... we'll have to see what will come. it's doubtful a relatively good company will step up to make a 8 or 9 string trem due to the low demand. However if somebody does they'd probably throw down a patent and dominate like Floyd Rose who makes a killing.
Our very own Jim Soloway was instrumental (no pun intended) in getting Hipshot to make 7-string bridges, which presumably, they've adapted to their 8-string models.

If you're willing to cough up a few hundred bucks to have them do the CAD work, and commit to buying a few units, they'd probably make you a 7-string or 8-string trem.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice
Our very own Jim Soloway was instrumental (no pun intended) in getting Hipshot to make 7-string bridges, which presumably, they've adapted to their 8-string models.

If you're willing to cough up a few hundred bucks to have them do the CAD work, and commit to buying a few units, they'd probably make you a 7-string or 8-string trem.
Yep, when I asked them to make a an 8-string bridge, here were the quotes....
$175 for a fixed bridge
$350+ for a trem model!!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 12:06 AM

Well, keep in mind that to do a trem properly, they'd probably have to machine a wider block in addition to the base plate. Twice the parts, twice the price.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice

Yep, when I asked them to make a an 8-string bridge, here were the quotes....
$175 for a fixed bridge
$350+ for a trem model!!!
I've been giving a lot of thought over the last few days to building an 8 string a lot of thought and I don't think that a trem is good idea. There would be an awful lot of tension on neck and I'd be really concerned that the quick release and application of tension that a trem involves would really play havock with the structure of the neck.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 07:34 PM

aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhh a trem for a bass, i'm getting one!!!!!!!!

Shame it's not FR style

Tags
base plate , darren wilson , fanned fret , fixed bridge , floyd rose , fret board , string bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode