Ibanez JEM Forum banner

8 string floyd rose

9K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  GuitarAkuma 
#1 ·
I was pleasantly surprised to see these at my front door the other day! A big thanks to the guys at Floyd Rose who helped me out!

Quality is great (what would you expect) everything about them is great, the only thing I was iffy on was the black chrome color, it was a little thin compared to other hardware, but by no means bad. The black wasn't available yet.

So one of these will end up on a new 8 string (blue quilt) with the Dimarzio Ionizers I recently received (thanks Dimarzio) we should have the "dry fit" done this week, then we will tear it down, install the top, frets, paint etc...

See less See more
#10 · (Edited)
I have another body, left from when we made the Multiverse. It is a very light weight african mahogany, it should be pretty cool, and I have a set of Dimarzio Ionizers to put in it as well! The routes for the new Floyd were very close to the trem I made, so with minor tweaks we were able to use the templates we have. and the dimarzios were not that far off from the BKP's I used. I should have some pics up later this week or next week. We will finish the dry fit and string it.

When it is finished, it will have: chrome hardware, royal blue quilt top, matching headstock, new frets, the floyd, the dimarzios, abalone inlays, and I am probably going to scallop it as well

think this guitar in an 8 string.... the 8

#15 ·
Im curious about what would be required to swap out with an edge iii fx fixed bridge?

I probably wouldn't do it because I don't see much point to a Floyd on such a big guitar, and by big I mean so much tension and so much wood and strings and metal and adjustments that would be required to maintain it properly.

at the same time, I love floyds, they are my favorite bridge, and my 2228 is the only guitar I have that doesn't have a Floyd. while it stays perfectly in tune at all times because of the edge iii fx, sometimes I miss a little flutter or dive bomb, or my own personal technique I use on it (then again, on this guitar, its not really that type, doesn't seem it would feel right)

idk man, kinda conflicted on the idea, having owned 2 8 hardtails and a 7 string OFR, it seems a bit much for something that might be more trouble to maintain and setup than its worth, but then again my OFR side is saying, DO IT...

what do you think would be required to get a Floyd in an RG2228?

#16 ·
you would have to route the body, or order a new body with the routing done, I think area 51 is going to be doing replacement bodies with OFR routes, and I think the Luthier I work with will be offering replacement bodies in the near future (Hot Rod 6 strings). We are working on acrylic routing templates as well, but I have to wait and see how they turn out before I commit to them being available.

I think it is worth it, but that is personal preference. I custom built a set of strings to get the tension down. I used the .064 from an Ernie ball slinky set for 8 strings (as the F #, then I use the whole slinky 7 string set of 9's. It worked great. when I had the original ernie ball strings on there I think they were 11's, I was scarred to yank on the trem, but now it is great. (standard tuning BTW)
It is different, and if you like OFR's I say go for it.

and website link to trems
http://www.musiciansarsenal.com/newfloydrosetremolos.aspx

#18 ·
you would have to talk with area 51, he is usually reasonable, I spoke with someone else on Seven string.org who was having him make one. I am not sure if Hot Rod is ready yet to make the bodies, I think he is still making the templates?

also, these guys do nice paint jobs pretty cheap... beats stripping your guitar, unless you like doing that kind of stuff.

I think making a new body is the way to go, then you could put it back if you wanted, or sell the parts to finance the build? and the fixed bridge will fetch a couple of bucks.

just my $.02

http://www.guitarpaintguys.com/

#22 ·
Yes I do. I think its great. I mean 8 strings are an aquired taste, but the fact that I began to really love the RG2228 as it became my main player for a while I was just wishing for a trem. While the feels are completely different between the C-8 and 2228, I love having my OFR on an 8 string now. Now I don't play my 7 at all. Its either my 6's or my 8's, and Im glad my only 7 was an inexpensive one (it became my beater/traveling guitar). Schecters are very different than Ibanez, but this model is one of the very high end, one of the best 8's there is as far as I'm concerned.

and THANKS

#23 ·
I thought the C-8FR came with the korean made floyd SPECIAL? I can't see on the floyd site any mention of an OFR 8 string trem??

Does the trem give you any isses with a flappy 8th string? I was seriously tempted by these C-8FR but in the end went for the Washburn PXM18EB a lot more bang for the buck and a neck thinner than any ibanez or Schecter (well its only my second 8 string be easy on me!).

How good is the Schecter? Does the trem have the wobbly trem arm in the collar issue the cheap floyds usually have? Does the trem move a smoothly as 7 string OFR?

Mind you did take out the EMG 808's and replace them with SD pegaus/sentient with dual coil taps now its a blues machine!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.