8 string guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

8 string guitars

Hey guys, The idea of getting an eight string guitar entered my mind. I've been looking around and I see that Conklin is the most predominant maker. Nevborn also makes them. I was wondering if you think for the price they are worth it and if the idea of an eight string guitar is even worth it? Do think the extra two strings with bring about some new creativity and possiblities? Your opinions are needed so please reply. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 04:16 PM

The thing to keep in mind about the 8 strings is that they are not magical instruments. Your playing will not improve by leaps and bounds as soon as you pick one up. It will not open hundreds of new doors for you. What it will do for you, though, is greatly increase your range, and yes, it will allow you to some things that you were not able to do on a 6 or 7. That said, I'll admit that I really want an 8 string. I think the greatest freedom it gives you is the ability to play around with different tunings. Exotic, weird tunings. You can do pretty much anything you want with the lower two strings because you still have the regular six in standard tuning, or whatever. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 08:51 PM

I must agree, the 8 string will do you nothing more than give you a wider range of notes. Therefore, they are not for everyone. I kinda like the idea, but for now I'm perfectly happy on my 6-string.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 10:40 PM

I love my 7-string, but still use my 6-string for some things too. I say, if you're looking for something to help you get new ideas, and open up your creativity a bit, go for it, new gear always helps bring out new ideas.

At this rate, we'll need a new 8-string forum section soon
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2003, 01:12 AM

Just remember that if you're not happy with a 6, and don't have fun playing it, then you're not going to have any fun with a 7 or 8, either. Like I said, I'm dreaming of a custom 8, but lately, I've been tearing things up and having a blast on my 6 in standard tuning.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 12:04 PM

I'd recommend making the switch to 7 before you go to 8. It's a more natural progression...

While the two extra strings won't magically change your playing, they WILL change the way you look at the guitar. when I first started playing 7, I was treating E as sort of a "Default key" for the guitar, and was stuck on the outlook that the high strings were for soloing and the low ones were for riffing. Going to 7 got me to move away from the tendancy to pick up the guitar and immediately start playing in E, and I've been doing more bass runs in my lead playing since. It's subtle, but it has affected the way I play. I'd imagine an 8 would do something similar... It won't make you a "better" guitarist, but it'll make you one that thinks differently if you allow yourself to remain open to the possibilities it offers.

-D
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 06:46 PM

It can also allow you to string it as two four-string guitars and play two pieces at the same time.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2003, 07:40 PM

*just waits for the day when micheal angelo discovers this thread and starts playing a 4 necked, 14 string guitar (each like two 7 strings)*
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 12:32 AM

I've been interested in getting an 8 string for some time now. A friend of mine is musing making me one, I just need to find the bridge hardware and some pickups.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2003, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Well I have given it some thought and I plan on getting a New Century Series Conklin eight string guitar. This might change but it's what I have wanted to do for a couple weeks now and it won't happen till August probably but now hurt in planning. A great thing about the Conklins is that they have a limited lifetime warranty. That's great for me because there is a certain amount of security in my investment. Anyways, it's a pretty basic guitar. Two humbuckers, tune-o-matic bridge, 24 frets, I don't recall the woods at the moment though. Anyways just thought I would share.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 09:30 AM

Cool, hope it turns out good
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 04:25 PM

i'd go for a conklin myself
harrison's model is making me drool!!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2003, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Scratch the Conklin idea. I talked to my parents and they won't let me spend $2400 dollars on a guitar that I have never played. Plus they are paying half. Anyways I'm kinda glad they ruled that idea out because I was scared about getting it. I thought to myself "What if I don't like it when I get it?" Things like that. Anyways, I also am having a problem finding a production model guitar that I want. I want something that is unique, but practical. I don't want just a block of wood with pick ups and strings (Les Paul). I'm not saying those are bad and I would own one for sure, but not as my main guitar. Just a matter of preference.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 06:59 AM

ooooh parents...

well newborn guitars look too much "factory" to me, i dont find them much appealing... thats why i'd go conklin!
i'd go for an adventurous model myself, with a neck-thru, 29 frets, piezo, and some killer woods!

btw, an 8string neck is somewhat like an ibanez soundgear 6string bass right?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2003, 10:48 AM

A guitar thats a block of wood with pickups and some strings is more like a tele. Les Pauls have a little more construction and variety of materials in them.

Carvin is always a good place to look. GMW is another good one.

Tags
high strings , les paul , les pauls , matic bridge , production model , string bass , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode