8 string out next year...? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

8 string out next year...?

apparently dino said it would come out next year...im pretty sure the dude talking about it meant dino from fear factory, but neways, im not sure if its entirely accurate.
he says so about 2 thirds down the page

i got it from the esp board, here:

http://p222.ezboard.com/fespguitarsm...ID=30712.topic

i dont really care anyways, 7 is too much unless you use the extra string as a high a or whatever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 03:51 PM

Re: 8 string out next year...?

8 strings is a lot . there aren't many players other there good enough to actaully use an 8 string to its fullest. I think to most people it is the "my guitar has more strings then yours does" sort of thing . Having said that i really really want one
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 09:49 PM

I'd play one in a heartbeat but I am always going to remain a 7-string player, it's perfect for me.
post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90341689
dont really care anyways, 7 is too much unless you use the extra string as a high a or whatever
To you, perhaps. Not to me.
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 09:08 AM

Just because Dino says so doesn't mean it's going to happen. Remember the Friedman sig .

Regards

André

post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 09:11 AM

I'm just a 6-string guy, I barely can play 7-string so 8-string is way too much for me.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:04 PM

As much as I'd love for it to be true, I have to be skeptical. The big guitar manufacturers don't even seem to be comfortable putting more than a token effort into marketing 7-strings (remember when EVERYONE was making them?)- imagine how they feel about trying to sell production 8-strings!

It's going to take a whole lot to propel 8-strings to the point where the demand will justify the resources into making a supply. The custom-shop market for them now probably fits better because the types of players who want ones are more of the idiosyncratic-guitar geeks who are very particular about what they want. The custom route, however, prices-out a lot of the people who want one.

But who knows, we could turn on MTV tomorrow and see some emo band sporting 8's, and then we know that the market's ready.
post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 01:26 PM

ESP Forum... that's reliable then

They think there's a 14-string comming soon. I really can't see that happening *looks at the K7's amazing sells figures*
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
ESP Forum... that's reliable then

They think there's a 14-string comming soon. I really can't see that happening *looks at the K7's amazing sells figures*
tru, that isnt the most reliable source there is...
...but damn, i guess they never taught you sarcasm at your school... :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
To you, perhaps. Not to me.
gr1m. well done, that was my personal opinion...
post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge
As much as I'd love for it to be true, I have to be skeptical. The big guitar manufacturers don't even seem to be comfortable putting more than a token effort into marketing 7-strings (remember when EVERYONE was making them?)- imagine how they feel about trying to sell production 8-strings!

It's going to take a whole lot to propel 8-strings to the point where the demand will justify the resources into making a supply. The custom-shop market for them now probably fits better because the types of players who want ones are more of the idiosyncratic-guitar geeks who are very particular about what they want. The custom route, however, prices-out a lot of the people who want one.

But who knows, we could turn on MTV tomorrow and see some emo band sporting 8's, and then we know that the market's ready.
It's way to early in the year to start speculating about the 2007 lineup. Since 2007 is the 20th anniversary of the JEM a lot may happen etc.

Regards

André

post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Just because Dino says so doesn't mean it's going to happen. Remember the Friedman sig .

Regards

André
What actually happened to that in the end? Chud where do you find sales figures for guitars from?
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90341689
tru, that isnt the most reliable source there is...
...but damn, i guess they never taught you sarcasm at your school... :S
Well, in cases such as these it's compulsory to be sarcastic

I heavily doubt Ibanez will realease an 8-string unless it's a limited edition or something. Nor will i see a K-14 comming out because Korn aren't exactly as popular as they were (that's not to say they're not popular, they're just not as popular as they were) and the K7 wasn't sold alot. I don't have the sells figures for it but it's sorta common knowledge.

In fact, in my local shop, there's 3 K7s there going for about Ł900 and they haven't been touched for years.
post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitarium
What actually happened to that in the end? Chud where do you find sales figures for guitars from?
I don't know really. Marty had annouced that Ibanez was going to release his sig. at NAMM but it wasn't there. They might do it at summer NAMM that would seem strange. It also could mean that his signature model will only be available on Japan (JC something) but that would stupid to say the least IMHO.

Regards

André

post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 06:16 PM

That's strange, maybe it didn't look like a big seller at the last minute. But I can't see them getting that far only to scrap it. Oh well we'll have to wait and see.
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi

Regards

André
I was hoping they would do a Marty Friedman sig this year but wishful thinking.

Tags
custom models , custom shop , edge trem , edge trems , fanned fret , fanned frets , fredrik thordendal , guitar players , guitar shop , high strings , jim donahue , korean guitar , marty friedman , marty friedman sig , marty friedman signature , michael schenker , pro edge , reed smith , rusty cooley , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode