8 strings - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

8 strings

I know that there are many topics about it, but i think the informations are kinda messy. I may be getting an 8 string on the following weeks, but the luthier never build one, so i'll try to make his life easier gathering the infos.

LGM and blackmachine are absolute gorgeous instruments, congrats to both.

I have some doubs about the construction itself, maybe Jeremy himself could share some infos

1-) Scale lenght: People argue about it, but I never found common opinion.

25"
27"
28.5"
30"

I know blackmachine uses 30", and heard about Meshuggahs being 30 too. are Dino and Rusty 30"s ??

2-)Body size: I have 2 ibanez seven strings, and I think the body size is the same as my 6 string RG. Do the 8 strings (ibz) on the market (dino, meshuggah and rusty) have the same RG (6/7) body size ?

3-)Nut width

Black machine uses 51 and 55 mms. Is there any rule on it?

thank you folks :-D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 07:05 PM

Re: 8 strings

1)
25.5 would not be very good for an 8 string. It's pretty much general concensus that you shouldn't get it
27" is the bottom of the line compromise between tone and playability.
28.5 is a great compromise, it'll sound massive, but won't feel like a bass
30 " is where the most fighting goes on. This would be the best option for tone, but many people say it feels like a bass. This is if you're absolutly serious about the tone, or if you're just playing really simple stuff like Meshuggah.
2)I'm pretty sure the RG body is the same size for all of them
3)Take your favorite neck's nut width, divide by 6, then multiply that number by 8 to get the 8 string equivilent.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 04:13 AM

The other consideration is where the bridge is positioned given that you have a longer scale length. When I built my 8-string, I made it 28.5" scale length and a normal RG size body, but I moved the bridge back into the body by 1.5". Because of that the 12th fret is in the same position relative to the body as on a normal 25.5" 6-string. If you kept the bridge in the normal place and just made the scale length 3" longer I think you'd have problems with the guitar not balancing on a strap properly (it'd be neck heavy) because the neck would be really long. Even doing what I did I made sure that I used a nice heavy piece of wood for the body because the neck is still 1.5" longer than normal and wider so it's still much heavier than a 6 or 7 string.
Hope this helps,
Rich
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 07:16 AM

I'm pretty sure that Rusty's 8-strings are tuned B-A. Hence, "30 would be near a physical impossibility on that tuning.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 08:37 AM

fanned fret is more than likely the best option....
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
fanned fret is more than likely the best option....
+1 to that.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 11:16 AM

I wouldn't use 25.5" or 27" unless you don't plan on tuning any lower than a low B, like a 7-string. Otherwise, fanned frets are your best option. Can the luthier do fanned frets?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

thanks so much for the quick replies. I'm taking all into consideration.

Probably the guitar will be tuned a half step down to accomodate our previous songs (we play Bb - 7 string half step down), I know maybe it will be too much :-D

I don't think the luthier have the skills to do the fanned fret system.

Moving the bridge maybe is an option, but boy it does look strange :-)

Keep sugestions/comments coming

and once again thank you guys for answering promptly
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 12:06 PM

Hey Giba!
What's your plans on getting the 8 string done?
Who's the crazy boy doing it?
I'd love to see that.
Also, can the dude make the fanned frets for ya'?
Gonna rule Giba, gonna rule!
Cheers,
Tubarão.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarkatana View Post
I wouldn't use 25.5" or 27" unless you don't plan on tuning any lower than a low B, like a 7-string..
Actually, "25.5 holds up very well down to A, provided you use thick enough gauges. I assume you could go down lower, but then you'd have to drill the tuners and file the nut. Still, if you use an ".068 at "25.5, you can tune down to A, no problems. Once you go past that, you can start looking at longer scales.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 01:05 PM

I've tuned to G at 25.5" with a .060, and it wasn't bad at all. Then again, I don't really go in for very heavy strings, I tune to Bb with a .056.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Hungus View Post
I've tuned to G at 25.5" with a .060, and it wasn't bad at all. Then again, I don't really go in for very heavy strings, I tune to Bb with a .056.
Doood... And I thought I was using light gauges for my tunings...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
Doood... And I thought I was using light gauges for my tunings...
Yeah, well I was using 9's for a long time, and when I moved over to 7, I was just getting Ernie Ball 7 string sets, and they come with I think a 52 or 54 for the low B, can't quite think off the top of my head. I bumped up to 10's for the sake of getting the .056, which I think gives a decent enough tension.

I'm looking to get some GHS 7 String sets, because they don't have such whimpy low B strings, the 10 guage comes with a .060, which is nice.

I do hope to get a 27" guitar though, for some extra low tuning.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 02:27 PM

Yeah well, I do like loose treble-strings for the sake of easier legato, but I want my bottom 3 to be tight. A GHS-set of 10's with a 52 and 68 works wonders.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 03:28 PM

would the luthier work be THAT much harder for fanned frets? surely if you calculate the fret spacings for the bottom string, calculate them for the top string, make sure the 12th frets line up and put each fret and the nut so that the ends go to the calculated positions then it would work? sure radiusing the frets would be hard but on a constant radius fretboard that would take about a ton of the work out, its only trigonometry to work out the angle to put it on the radiusing block. im sure if theyre capable of fitting regular frets they could do fanned ones.

Tags
ernie ball , fanned fret , fanned frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode