8 strings: the info - Info please - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

8 strings: the info - Info please

Im kinda a jazz guy who likes to play progressive rock as well. I would get a 7 string for the walking bass lines. Can anybody give me info on 8 strings. How do they sound compared to an RG7. Are they worth wile putting money into for a long term guitar. OR should i just "settle" for a 7 string? As well what is the overall quality of them..

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 09:47 PM

8 strings: the info

8-strings sound just like any other guitar, just like a 7-string does, except with an extra string. *It's all dependent on the materials/electronics you choose. *It'll give you an extra string though, so if you feel the extra range would benefit you, go for it, but be careful, you could end up like Wes Borland and feel you're not talented enough to use it to its full potential.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks two hands.. . I guess i was wondering what the pickups sound like. IF they sound like garbage..... Can anybody compare it to a dimarzio pickups. Like the tone quality ect..

J
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 11:20 PM

you could allways do what charlie hunter does with bass lines and guitar parts at the same time http://www.charliehunter.com

just look up novax guitars for an 8 string guitar/bass hybrid http://novaxguitars.com

edit/
for your purposes however i think a 7 string or 8 string guitar would be good, but my guitar teacher can play walking bass lines and chords on his six string better than i ever could... so its not absolutely necessary to have the extra strings, but it doesn't hurt :biggrin:

as a side note, i just noticed that i hit 161 posts! the same number as my OA lodge! (BSA) /edit

(Edited by bchaney at 11:35 pm on Mar. 31, 2002)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 01:08 AM

Slightly different, but check out http://www.warrguitars.com

If you like lots of strings you may be intrigued.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 01:09 AM

Reviews: 2

There a only a couple of companies that make production 8-strings (including mine). Most of them use a multitude of custom pick-up configurations. Conklin usually uses a Bartolini soapbar that has a very smooth response and solid tone. Novax P/U's are very smooth as well. I've seen Bartolini' in Novax as well as some customs. Acacia uses seymour duncuns and Bartolini's.
Many other of the custom luthier builders can aquire special made pick-ups that can be wound to a certain preference. I use custom EMG 40DC's with a BTC control on my 8-strings. It has a VERY meaty response, but with the BTC control it can be dialed up to a number of tonalities. I also run my 8-strings on 18 volts, so the headroom is more prominent leaving the clarity a little more distinguished.
Bartolini's seem to be the pick-up of choice for extended range instruments. As compared to dimarzio, they're not screamers, but ask any guitarist that has used Bartolini's and they'll probably say that the bartolini's far out weigh the quality of the Dimarzio's. I love the EMG's in my 9 and 8 string guitars, but I'm also a biased observer. I do use Bartolini's, but due to the immense waiting time for them, I'll only use them at SPECIAL request. I'll get some specs on the different pick-ups used and that may help you gauge the sound that they're able to produce.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 07:23 AM

Quote:
bchaney on 11:20 pm on Mar. 31, 2002
you could allways do what charlie hunter does with bass lines and guitar parts at the same time http://www.charliehunter.com
Charlie Hunter RULES! As do Meshuggah...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 09:16 AM

Well, I'm sure if you're going custum 8-string, since there are few to no production 8-strings, the pickups will vary and you can probably get them made to be whatever you want. *Which 8-string pickups were you thinking of?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

What pickups i was wondering??? IM kinda new to 8 strings. What would be the best for shredding with loads of distortion. Whithought sounding muddy.

J
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 06:30 AM

Quote:
mojo on 9:49 pm on April 2, 2002
What pickups i was wondering??? IM kinda new to 8 strings. What would be the best for shredding with loads of distortion. Whithought sounding muddy.

J
Beats me! *:biggrin: *I think you're basically stuck with whatever they put in there stock. *:biggrin: *8-strings aren't all that popular yet, so you end up with limited options.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 07:06 AM

For my live shows I use a 6 string tuned down to B -- for jazz! I tried the 7 and it works, but due to the large neck and increased width because of having more strings, I found it difficul to do walking stuff while playing lots on top. The stretch made using those high strings impractical. The 6 string tuned down works perfectly for me. Throw some really heavy strings on it (13 or 16 Dobro strings) and you're rocking. Oops, I mean jazzing. That would then be breezin'...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:51 AM

Re: 8 strings: the info - Info please

To avoid flappy strings, surely your best bet to tune to B would be getting a baritone with a set of 12's on?? I've got an RG6CSD2 and it's great for that, but the MMM1 would probably do just as good if you like the shape.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:10 PM

Re: 8 strings: the info - Info please

...this thread is only 4 years old...

You get the "thread resurrection" award of the week

Tags
charlie hunter , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , high strings , string guitars , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode