87 Ibanez 540 is worth ??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

87 Ibanez 540 is worth ???

I have this old guitar with some inbetween serial number so I am not exactly certain what model it is. The serial is A700262 on the neck plate. The guitar looks like this one:

http://www.geocities.com/xcvxcv65/ib...banez-540p.htm

but it shows up in an old catalog as an Ibanez power 540pmg.

I will post an img once I figure out how. Mine is black and in excellent shape the lower pickup was changed to an active emg85 in antiquity.

Ballpark worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Dee

Re: 87 Ibanez 540 is worth ???

Look on the back of the headstock. There should be another number beginning with F. That's the real serial. The neck plate number is probably irrelevant.

To post images, go to www.imageshack.us (no need to register, it's free), upload a pic. When it's uploaded, post the link.

The value depends on the condition of the guitar.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

It is a hybrid numbering scheme. There is no number on the headstock. I have heard of this before when they were inbetween the old and new scheme.

References:
http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/disc...tml?1165560051

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/...nce/dating.htm

The number plate is indeed the only number on this guitar. Trust me, I have been down this road before. I am hoping to find someone who knows the value as I have never seen one of these for sale. It is either a 540pmg or a 540p-tc. It is definitely an 1987 and it is a power style guitar.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Pictures:
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 02:23 PM

It's a 540PBK (black), the MG would be Magenta in color and the TC has the triple coil pickup, which this does not.

Worth? I guess around $400 to $500 depending on condition and market.

Tags
coil pickup , neck plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode