'89 S-540 ***$?????? - Pricing for idiots 101 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
'89 S-540 ***$?????? - Pricing for idiots 101

Howdy,

* I have an '89 S-540 on my hands *well you guys told me it was an 89*
which I hope to be either trading in or trying to sell locally *possibly online, who knows?*

I want the money to help fund a Jem purchase.... sounds great right? well the problem is that I have NO idea how much this guitar is worth.

I bought it for 400 dollars in the same condition it is in now, I doubt that it is worth this much but i didn't mind paying it because it played SO sweet.

It is all taken apart right now..... i am in the process of giving it a "Rich" make over before i let it go.

There is probably 20 light impressions on the face of the guitar, and only six or so of them are visible with ought a certain reflection. The guitar is in what I would call a "good" players condition. There is not really any visible pick scratching on it. The back of the body had the usual belt rash and a few spiral cracks.

All electronics are in good working order.... I think i have successfully eliminated any scratchy pots or pickup selection. Pickups are HSS. IBZUSA F2 and two IBZUSA C2's.

There is the usual wear on the hard where but surprisingly a minimal amount of pitting on the trem for being over 10 years old.

The neck is in good condition, A little fret where but nothing serious. Headstock has the usual scratches. Nothing major. Maple fret board.

and bla bla bla... enough with the rambling, I'm just here to get some answers not sell the dang thing.

Cerial number is F933790

Its in a sparkly blue that I am told was only made for two years *at least on the S-540*

*So if you guys could help a brother out, I need to know how much i should be asking for this guitar so i don't get ripped off .... TWICE :angryfire:

*EDIT: * * GUITAR ALSO HAS A CASE, The case reads "Ibanes Prestige Delux" and the center latch is broken*

THANKS!

* JR

*MODERATORS: * *It was a toss up for which board to post in, if you want to move this feel free! *

(Edited by JayRobIBZ at 5:03 am on Feb. 21, 2002)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 07:27 AM

'89 S-540 ***$??????

$400 is reasonable; these have gone for under $300 to over $400 on eBay (I watch the late 80s & early 90s Sabres & Radiuses). *I'd ask $400. *You'd eventually get that on eBay I think; how long you wanna wait? *I don't think I'd let it go for <$300 unless I was in a rush.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

'89 S-540 ***$??????

Thanks JESTER... More than anything it is nice to know t hat i didnt get riped off in the first place!! :biggrin:

Well since i have information on how much The guitar is worth, I might not even have to sell it before i buy the Jem. I want the 95 VWH that Rich has... I was planning on waiting till the end of the summer to buy but i dont think i can wait that long. Looking for VWH's have consumed me *LOL* It takes over my mornings, all day when im suppost to be doing school. and all evening till before i go to bed. HAHAHA :rotf:

But since i can tell my parents that i could get 400 for it and should wait till after alaska's dividends come out so people will pay more.... I MIGHT be able to talk them into letting me buy the Jem.

For some reason i am REALLY attracted to Rich's 95, and I dont wanna let her get outa my grasp.

I wanted to keep this guitar, It has served me well..... heck i pratically LEARNED on this guitar... played my first concert on this guitar.... had my first head cutting with this guitar and WON!... But it doesnt get played much since i got sucked into my JS's neck, and im afraid i must let it go cuz i NEEEEEED a VWH!

THANKS AGAIN!

*JR

(Edited by JayRobIBZ at 12:44 pm on Feb. 21, 2002)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 12:53 PM
Vendor

'89 S-540 ***$??????

Well you better hold up a sec there spanky, with that many "impressions" on the face it's worth no where near $400. I'd put it more around $275, "maybe" $300 if you actually want to *sell* it. You can post as high as you want but selling's another story.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 01:23 PM

'89 S-540 ***$??????

tell you what, rich is right. ill take it off your hands out of the goodness of my heart for say.........50 bucks. Ill even take the case too if you want.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 01:53 PM

'89 S-540 ***$??????

I'll defer to Rich's opinion on this; he's got more experience...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

'89 S-540 ***$??????

Like i said, only 6 of them are visiable withought a bright, very angled reflection. And all but two of them are SMALL! the "depressions" are more like 8 or 9 very small ones, right off the bass of the volume and tone controlls. I am guessing from a pick trying to get the bastards off. An untrained eye would probably pass right over them during inspection. I wouldnt have even montioned them let alone rounded it up to 20 unles I was an honest guy trying to get the REAL value of this guitar.

*But never the less... In alaska..... after every one in the state just got near 2000 dollars to do whatever they want with... I will try selling it, I am sure there is someone out there that will give me a "nice" price.

Normally, i wouldnt even concider asking for more than something is worth..... heck, I wont even sell my snowboard to my friend. I dont use it anymore but i forgot how much i payed for it so im affraid if he buys it i will be over charging him... but this guitar, I see it as worth 350 atleast based on playability alone. BUT thats just me. Hopefully I can find a "player" who feels the same way about it. I will have to see what the buying community around here thinks.

thanks again guys!

* JR

(Edited by JayRobIBZ at 2:34 pm on Feb. 21, 2002)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2002, 04:38 PM
Vendor

'89 S-540 ***$??????

I always *assume* depressions are inaccurately described dinks!

Tags
fret board , maple fret , maple fret board , pickup selection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

rg 550 pricing?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode