'97 Blazer Reissue- Should I get it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

'97 Blazer Reissue- Should I get it?

Hello Jemsiters-

There's a black '97 MIJ Blazer reissue for $200 in my area. Looks like a killer deal and I've been interested in trying a Blazer for a while now.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/msg/2782448114.html

Not mint by any means, but that's not my thing anyway... Thoughts?

-Gaucho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: '97 Blazer Reissue- Should I get it?

I'd be all over that thing man!! I love the feel of the re-issue BL's. Keep in mind, there no RG's. They have a completely different feel.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

The non-RG-ness of it is exactly why I'm so interested in it. I love my 550, but it's almost a novelty thing for me because I play much more vintage-style blues, rock, funk etc. that the Blazer would be much more practical for me than an RG. I'm no shredder or whammy abuser.

Thanks for the feedback... now if the guy will just get back to me. Hope it's not sold!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 AM

I hope you get it too!! It DOES have the V-series pups, so getting "strat" tones will be difficult without a swap.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, if I get it it may basically take the place of my 550 (which I was going to upgrade the pickups on). If the Blazer could cover what little I need for high gain/metal/shred flavored stuff, I could do without the 550. With a pickup upgrade, the Blazer could possibly be my Rock, Shred/Metal AND my rhythm/Strat type axe.

"The more the merrier" is a nice idea for guitars, but with limited space and limited funds it doesn't make sense for me. I'm trying to pare down and get as few axes as possible to do exactly what I want them to do... here's hoping.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM

I don't think I'd completely rely on the vintage trem in the blazer to cover your shredding, unless you don't use a trem too much. The neck on that thing is REALLY nice........
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

"Shred" may have been a generous word for my playing! Yes I don't use the trem much at all besides for a little vibrato. I could do without one.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Some conflicting info out there- I know the 850 has the Gotoh bridge where the 1025 has the Wilkinson. But some sources say they both have Sperzel locking tuners, and some say the 850 doesn't have locking tuners. Any definitive info out there?

-Gaucho
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:43 PM

Better get to that one fast if you want it. I've got a trip to Charlotte coming in two days, and have had my eye on it as well. If it's still there when I am, it's gone I've got two of them currently, and they're some of my favorite guitars ever. I'm eyeing another one with thoughts of modding it for a different trem.

As for locking tuners, the 850s do not have them. As for your thoughts on it covering the gamut, I'll tell you that it does, exceptionally well, unless you're looking for dive bombs. I've got the trems on mine locked down so that they're effectively fixed bridge.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:03 AM

hopefully this will help Gaucho......

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=225&now=6
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

[quote=DaylightDies;1146790]Better get to that one fast if you want it. I've got a trip to Charlotte coming in two days, and have had my eye on it as well. If it's still there when I am, it's gone

Already spoken for : )

Thanks for the advice on the trem- sounds like it would make for great tone.

-Gaucho
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Picking it up tonight- I'll let y'all know how it is and post pics soon.

Giddy!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Picked up the Blazer last night. I won't say it met my wildest dreams but... for $200 I won't complain.

I always forget somehow that a stock Ibanez just won't sound that great- got to upgrade the pickups. The middle in particular- I know they're known to be lousy, but man... ouch.

The neck is truly fat- the unfinished feel is very nice, and AANJ is great as usual. Just gonna have to get some real pickups in it (and perhaps replace the electronics) before I can judge.

Pics forthcoming...

Tags
1997 , blazer , reissue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode