AANJ bolt pattern compatibility - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

AANJ bolt pattern compatibility

I was wondering if anyone had experience putting a Japanese AANJ neck on a Korean or Indonesian body. Are they compatible in general?

I've been told the neck pockets are the same, but that the bolt patterns may not be. Anybody know if they're different, and if so by how much? Would new holes be far enough away from the old ones so as to not interfere, or would I end up having to fill the holes in the neck with dowel and then redrill and hope that everything held?

For interest, the guitar I'm working on is an RVX220, one of those odd can- opener looking Vs. It was made in Indonesia, and has a 25.5 inch scale neck, despite what a lot of websites list for its specs.

I've replaced all the gaudy chrome hardware with black and put a 500t/496r combo in place of the Inf3 and Inf4 pickups that came with it. It's still an odd shaped guitar, but in a good way now, or so I think. It reminds me a lot of the Gibson Corvus I had back in high school in the 80s, except that this is a much better made guitar, and was even in its original state.

A nice Prestige neck off **** would finish it off nicely, but if it's going to be too much hassle, or have a high likelihood of failure, I'll probably quit while I'm ahead.

Any advice you guys you guys can offer (other than get rid of the ugly guitar) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 12:21 AM

Re: AANJ bolt pattern compatibility

it works fine man. i just put an mij neck on my bros korean rg.
it was a WEEEEEEEEEEEE bit off, but like. it still fit well. there was just room to move over half a mm
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks for the reply.

I'm guessing that half a mm of play is probably not uncommon even with original neck/body pairs. Did that half a mm affect the final fit at all? Was the neck nice and stable and lined up okay?

This is starting to look good.

Does anybody else have any experiences they can share?

Thanks
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 11:18 AM

I have an RG520 body with an RG270 neck and an RG570 with an RG320 neck. Both work just fine.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 PM

Reviews: 120

The most you may have to do is fill the holes on the neck with dowel and redrill them just to be on the safe side. You don't want to make the holes on the neck too big otherwise they wont hold too tight.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Cool. This is looking good, neck-wise that is.

I have a follow up question. This guitar has a tune-o-matic style bridge. Are there any concerns about intonation and nut position with a neck that was previously used on a guitar with a tremolo bridge?

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I'm trying to think of everything ahead of time.

My plan would be to put a roller nut on instead of a locking nut. There should be some out there with screw holes that match the ones for the stock locking nuts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 02:20 PM

the play you need to make go away. but its varied so theres no cure all do it a specific way fix. you gotta shim it.
as for the tuneomatic, i BELIEVE you should have the neck with little to no angle, whereas rg's, s's etc are set to have a slightly larger angle, i just know how to check it with a strait edge. i dont know how to set a tuneomatic really.
let me know how it works out man, im definately interested

Tags
aanj neck , chrome hardware , locking nut , locking nuts , neck pockets , tremolo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode