AANJ? Is there a need for it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

AANJ? Is there a need for it?

Just wanna know what do most of you guys here think of the AANJ? Is it really necessary? I have an RG550 without AANJ but with the old styled tilt metal plate joint and I am not hindered at all when playing high frets up there. Aesthetic wise it's also pleasing to look at.

I honestly don't see a need for AANJ neck joint and am sourcing for my next Ibanez with a tilt metal plate joint. But there isn't seem to be many except for an occasional j custom or jem.

Do you think the AANJ is just Ibanez way of saving cost?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 02:45 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: AANJ? Is there a need for it?

Congrats to you if you can play in the upper register on an JEM/RG with the clunky neck plate & tilt neck joint just as well as the AANJ.

Bravo!!!

My thoughts are no AANJ no sale for an RG-shaped body Ibanez.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:41 PM

If you're not hindered at all, that's great. I guess AANJ shouldn't really matter to you. But for me, AANJ is much more comfortable / ergonomic when playing leads.

I've heard 1 or 2 people believe AANJ was made to cut manufacturing costs. I think that's bogus. I think it's innovation more than anything. Ibanez was not the only company to make the change from a square joint to something more contoured.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:00 PM
Vendor

It cost more for the CNC and finishing time than any neck plate would cost. IMO the AANJ costs more in production.

That said, I still prefer a plate joint.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveche View Post
If you're not hindered at all, that's great. I guess AANJ shouldn't really matter to you. But for me, AANJ is much more comfortable / ergonomic when playing leads.

I've heard 1 or 2 people believe AANJ was made to cut manufacturing costs. I think that's bogus. I think it's innovation more than anything. Ibanez was not the only company to make the change from a square joint to something more contoured.
Well then, the whole of guitar industry is gearing up to cut costs then!

Not to bash on the guitar industry as a whole but if, maybe, an AANJ with a combination of contoured body and a rounded metal plate would be nice? But who am I to suggest? I am just a guitar player in aesthetic love with the plated neck joint.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It cost more for the CNC and finishing time than any neck plate would cost. IMO the AANJ costs more in production.

That said, I still prefer a plate joint.
Thank you for the info Mr Rich.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:28 AM

Reviews: 3

Some players refer that square heel neck joints sustain better; they also look better but the playability of the AANJ surpases these advantages by far in my opinion.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 02:00 PM

AANJ I have on my 7V is nice but it's not a consideration for me when buying a guitar, I have a 777 on order that doesn't have one. I play strats mostly and it's not even a consideration of an issue for me.

What used to get in the way more was my belly, and I'm not kidding. Since I lost weight (and I wasn't massively overweight or anything but that pizza/beer tub was loyal) and am quite slim now I notice it easier to play in the higher frets.

So don't get an AANJ, go on a diet.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Let's try to avoid the insults.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
No, what did he wrote? Since it's an honest question, I don't care about anyone being butthurt with my opinion when I said AANJ is a cost cutting meaure by Ibanez and I can play right at the 24th fret with a tilt neck joint.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:07 AM

He call names to people who disagree with his opinion. He is probably banned few times from different account. But he likes to post here. And insult everybody.
peromucho7 is online  
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:06 AM

its completely irrelevant to me and never crosses my mind when switching between guitars with and without.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
You're getting soft, that would normally get a week to think about it.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:03 PM

No doubt AANJ is more ergonomic for quick leads. People with different styles and different skill levels with have different opinions... It really depends how much time people spend on the high frets. Neck joint will literally not matter if the player rarely goes beyond the 15th fret. But for people who are mainly lead players, and play a lot of stuff between the 12th and 24th frets, will likely prefer something that is comfortable. Comfort is subjective... Most guitarists I follow these days seem to favour ergonomics (AANJ-style bolt-on, set-neck, neck-thru).

I don't really have an issue with square heel when sitting down and playing either.. Just have to adjust to it a bit with my hand/wrist position... but playing standing up at gigs is a different story. I find it tough to get around the heel unless the strap is extremely high up.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveche View Post
No doubt AANJ is more ergonomic for quick leads. People with different styles and different skill levels with have different opinions... It really depends how much time people spend on the high frets. Neck joint will literally not matter if the player rarely goes beyond the 15th fret. But for people who are mainly lead players, and play a lot of stuff between the 12th and 24th frets, will likely prefer something that is comfortable. Comfort is subjective... Most guitarists I follow these days seem to favour ergonomics (AANJ-style bolt-on, set-neck, neck-thru).

I don't really have an issue with square heel when sitting down and playing either.. Just have to adjust to it a bit with my hand/wrist position... but playing standing up at gigs is a different story. I find it tough to get around the heel unless the strap is extremely high up.
Think early 80's, when it all started. Guitarists are shredding out of a standard Stratocaster and Les Paul neck joints(I also own both with Standard Neck Joints) and they're standing up most of the time. Why should things be any different now? I'm not saying it's easy for me, I don't have big hands and I spend most of my time up 12th frets and above and the bottom corner of that tilt metal plate is wearing off due to excessive palm contact.

People should just adapt. Lazy culture I know. I have an RG350 with AANJ and I don't play it as much as my RG550 with tilted neck joint. It almost feels like a sacrilege to shredding.

Can't stop thinking that the AANJ is a cost cutting measure, but that don't mean I won't get an RG with AANJ if the specs are right like the RG6UCS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode