About Carvin guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

About Carvin guitars

So I am maybe buying a new guitar in future. Carvin seems to be great guitar especially DC400. 1200$ for a custom guitar doesn't sound too bad. It would have my dream specs like quilt top, neck thru, H-H pickups, ebony board, gold floyd etc...

Well the problem is that I can't play it before I buy it. As you may know Carvin sells their guitars only from their factory. I can't go there to try out them and I don't know anybody who owns Carvin in Finland and I haven't seen one ever. So what to do? I'm not sure but I think they have some kind of returning thing, that if I don't like it I can return it?

What kind of experience you guys have? Do you own Carvin? Are they any good? I know that their resale value isn't very good, so if I sell it I won't get too much but if I like it I won't probably sell it.

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 05:00 PM

Re: About Carvin guitars

Carvins are great guitars, but the resale value tends to be low (likely because so many still haven't played them). If you can handle something thicker than a Wizard I think you'll like them.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 05:24 PM

I'm already set that my next guitar is going to be a Carvin I just need to sell my Jem 555 and find time to order the beast (C66) .

Regards

André

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 05:51 PM

sellin a lefty 555 eh? hmm tempting
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 06:03 PM

I never got a whole Carvin guitar, but their necks rock. Of course, I sand mine down to the thickness that I like; they're just a LITTLE too thick from the factory for me.

Actually, I did get a whole kit once and sold it but kept the neck. If they'd only offer a JS body style I'd finally buy their guitar...
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 08:20 PM

after getting a used Carvin from e-bay, (sorry Jem guys) my Jem7vwh is now my backup. pics(c'mon, work):

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:28 PM

I've owned two Carvins - both bought used. Because they're such a good deal used, that's the route I'd go. I no longer own either because I discovered Schecter USA guitars and the quality and tone are like night and day. Check the archives for the widely reported neck issues (supposedly their woods are not cured long enough and the graphite rods are there to prevent warpage) and fret issues (I had to have mine leveled). Also their pups are non standard dimension.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:39 PM

Reviews: 1

I've never played one, but from what I've heard, they're great. Honestly, I've never heard anything bad about them on any of the boards...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:40 PM

In July I ordered a Carvin CT3. It was thier lowest end carved top model. The body was died a deep red with a bird's eye maple fingerboard. The guitar was beautiful. One problem. When they shipped it, the tone knob was not attached properly and slid up and down the guitar during shipping. They took it back with no questions asked and I had my refund in a day or two. Oh yeah...they accidently charged my credit card twice which took them about a week to refund the $500.00 deposit.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfzednem
after getting a used Carvin from e-bay, (sorry Jem guys) my Jem7vwh is now my backup. pics(c'mon, work):

Nice guitar! Carvins are nice. Especially their 7s.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 01:37 AM

I just got my 4th Carvin neck, and my first was back when they didn't use graphite AND the necks were almost wizard thin. No issues. The fret issues I've had were on an Ibanez wizard - crappy fretwork (leveled but not crowned) and a popped fret. And I've had fret issues with a couple of Warmoths. Never on a Carvin.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfzednem

Nice with all the fun stuff in it .

Regards

André

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
Carvins are great guitars, but the resale value tends to be low (likely because so many still haven't played them). If you can handle something thicker than a Wizard I think you'll like them.
Thick necks aren't problem for me since I love 50's and 60's Fender V- and C-necks.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlintz
I've owned two Carvins - both bought used. Because they're such a good deal used, that's the route I'd go. I no longer own either because I discovered Schecter USA guitars and the quality and tone are like night and day. Check the archives for the widely reported neck issues (supposedly their woods are not cured long enough and the graphite rods are there to prevent warpage) and fret issues (I had to have mine leveled). Also their pups are non standard dimension.
I've heard that their pups are different size than Dimarzio and other pickups. If I like the pickups it won't be problem but if I change the pups how much I would have to do routing?

Never heard about neck issues on their guitars, is this relatively common for Carvins or just bad luck?
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredfreak
I've heard that their pups are different size than Dimarzio and other pickups. If I like the pickups it won't be problem but if I change the pups how much I would have to do routing?

Never heard about neck issues on their guitars, is this relatively common for Carvins or just bad luck?
YES, the pups are different. On a pickguard guitar the mods should be minimal - probably just the pickguard. On a rear route, any routing on a finished guitar is a pain. I'd head over to their forum and search on this topic; some good guys over there.

The neck problem is bad luck, I think. I hang on their forum and you don't hear this complaint. As to the wood not being cured enough, I suppose that's possible (and taken care of by the reinforcement), but since I've heard that rumor applied to several companies from Kramer to Warmoth, it's hard to believe in any given instance.

Tags
custom guitar , custom shop , ebony board , flame maple , maple fingerboard , neck thru , parker fly , parker fly deluxe , shred guitars , stainless frets , stainless steel frets , steel frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode