About the Ibanez AR250 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

About the Ibanez AR250

I'm planning to sell my Dean doubleneck (7/6-string), which has been my "Les Paul" for a few years. It sounds awesome and it's a good guitar, but I haven't found much use for the 7-string neck and it's very heavy, so it's the guitar I seldom pick up these days (I usually grab my 1989 Ibanez RG550 or Kramer Stagemaster Custom 1).

Anyway, I recently tried an AR250, which seemed like a good replacement for the Dean. I couldn't figure how it would compare to a Les Paul soundwise (the one I tried seemed pretty much flawless except for a few mm. paint mess in the binding), because I couldn't try it with my amp, thicker strings (I use 10s), or better pickups. The store didn't have any LPs either to do an A/B test. I can't afford an AR2000 and don't want a Les Paul (even a copy) because I don't like the lack of upper fret access on them.

So, those who have A/B'd a Les Paul with an AR250, please tell me if it would be worth getting, I'm basically looking to get a nice, fat Les Paulish tone to go with the sounds I get from my Kramer and RG550.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 12:53 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: About the Ibanez AR250

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaXu
So, those who have A/B'd a Les Paul with an AR250, please tell me if it would be worth getting, I'm basically looking to get a nice, fat Les Paulish tone to go with the sounds I get from my Kramer and RG550.
If possible, you should test-ride an AR250 yourself. I say this, because you want a "fat les paulish tone" and what you hear would be different from the next guy. The AR250 is a double cutaway that is quite similar in specs to les pauls and is a good bang for the buck. The tones would be what you expect for a mahogany/maple/rosewood 24.75 scale guitar with vintage type pickups... glen
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
If possible, you should test-ride an AR250 yourself. I say this, because you want a "fat les paulish tone" and what you hear would be different from the next guy. The AR250 is a double cutaway that is quite similar in specs to les pauls and is a good bang for the buck. The tones would be what you expect for a mahogany/maple/rosewood 24.75 scale guitar with vintage type pickups... glen
I actually did try an AR250 as I stated in my post, but I wasn't able to test it against a Les Paul. It certainly didn't sound that fat thru a Laney TT20 amp..it just didn't sound as warm and thick as my Dean (although my Dean has a massive mahogany body and no maple cap so that might be why the AR250 sounds brighter). I liked the playability of the AR250, Ibanez designers sure think about playability! It was also a very good looking guitar.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 01:06 PM
site founder 0% owner

sorry about that from what you're saying, i don't think you'll find it as "fat" as a lespaul... of course if you can A/B compare in one room that will settle the matter Good luck... glen
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
sorry about that from what you're saying, i don't think you'll find it as "fat" as a lespaul... of course if you can A/B compare in one room that will settle the matter Good luck... glen
Do you think it would sound thicker with quality pickups? Ibanez pickups all seem to sound thin (at least my RG550 sounds 10x thicker and more articulate with Seymour Duncan pickups). I'm after a Gary Moore or Santana type tone, sweet and singing. The Dean has it, I'd actually buy another Dean if their other models didn't have similar problems LPs have: the heel is on the big side, even tho Deans have contoured heels they are still not as comfortable as double cutaways.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 02:01 PM
site founder 0% owner

if your 550 sounds "10x thicker" w/ a pickup change, it may dramatically change things with the AR250 also ... glen
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 08:44 PM

ahhhh ive been waiting for months to be able to post about my AR250

i LOVE mine. I threw gibson pickups in, a 57 classic in the neck and a 57 classic plus in the bridge. the thing is so fat, it makes yo mamma jealous! the onlything i DONT like about the guitar is the output of the gibson pickups, which is below what im used to. Im planning on a change to some more kickin pups, perhaps a duncan JB and 59'. but thats not a HUGE hurdle if youre playing with alot of gain to begin with. it sounds great with all my amps except for my peavey classic 50, due to the fact that it doesnt have a ton of gain to begin with. the only other thing i had a hard time adjusting to was the location of the pickup switch. when i went nutz and got the strings floppin i had a tendency to hit the switch by accident. losening the switch and turning it upside helped a LOT. so if i hit it, its already int he position i want it in hehe. but again that wasnt a major issue, one that was easily solved. and truth be told, the axis 1 and 2 buckers it comes with ARENT all that bad at all. i was just lookin for somthing a wee more articulate, and bluesy. which is what i got. but i discovered that i wanted somthing less bluesy while still being bluesy lol but thats not important. I really like mine, once i play for a bit and get used to the short scale

oh, i bought mine mail order and the finish was down right awesome. no oversprays anywhere.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2002, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info BZ Beetle! I feel the GAS rising again..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 09:56 PM

*does the ar250 chant*
artist artist artist artist artist

lolol cmon join the clan!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 12:09 PM

Guys, I picked up an AR250 for 160 us$ it's a beautiful guitar but notice the neck is a bit off balance from the body when you put it on a strap it tilts down. Though it plays very nicely I prefer my epiphone LP over its sound and will probably end up selling it again due to non use. Good guitar but don't spend a bunch of $$$ on it. see http://www.youtube.com/user/ood2112#p/u/4/1n-eIppBNxI for my review.

Tags
double cutaway , duncan pickups , fret access , gary moore , ibanez pickups , les paul , les pauls , mahogany body , peavey classic , pickup switch , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pickups , upper fret , upper fret access

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode