About to pick up an ibanez pgm301 from the store ... some Qs - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

About to pick up an ibanez pgm301 from the store ... some Qs

Hey there!
On saturday I'm going to pick up an Ibanez PGM301 I'm getting my brother for christmas, they're ordering it in from another store. I'm just about to ring them to tell them that I want the guitar set up (for free I hope) by them before I buy it so I can see how it plays properly. Now, on the phone how shall I tell them to set the guitar up? I mean I know I want the action as low as pos, this is gonna be my shred guitar. I've never had an ibanez before, but I hear an action of 1.5mm from the 12th fret is possible on an RG style guitar (same as PGM) without buzzing, should I ask them to set it up to 1.5 mm action? I just want to check that is the figure, 1.5mm before I ask. I'm not going to buy if they can't get it to play with a 1.5mm action (if that's the typical action), I want to make sure it's perfect seeing as I'm buying brand new!

Any help would be really appriciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:16 AM

Re: About to pick up an ibanez pgm301 from the store ... some Qs

good luck man.. for some reason I've been having a hell of a time getting the action low with no buzz on my 301. Then again I am comparing it to my 550 so take that for what it's worth ; v )

You sir, are a fine brother!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchip
Hey there!
On saturday I'm going to pick up an Ibanez PGM301 I'm getting my brother for christmas,
I wish I have a brother like you
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:24 AM

Quick comment about the action, my local music store (called Hermes music) does do a free setup when you buy a guitar, I dont think Guitar Center does that tho (altho im not totally sure).

For low action, I have just recently found the perfect setup for low action. Bascially it buzzes when acoustic but does not buzz through the ampliefer. I have my 2 guitar setup this way and I just love it, for leads it just does not get any better.

Gluck with the purchase =)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
I wish I have a brother like you
+1

My 18 year old brother doesn't even have a job. His excuse? "No time". Yet he still finds time to take long naps during the day.

Anyway, congrats.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 10:43 AM

The nut on my PGM was too high to get a crazy low action so I had to cut it. In fact it was difficult to fret a F chord (or a Bb) in the first position.

After that I just threw some 9s on it, adjsuted the action and saddles and the the mother is like a race car.

Mind you a crazy low action requires a light touch...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 12:50 PM

That's a great Christmas present. I bet he'll be happy. Lucky him to have a cool brother. That is cool.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 12:56 PM

You can ask the tech to set it up..."A.L.A.P.W.O.B." a.k.a. "As Low As Possible, WithOut Buzzing". You'll most likely end up tweaking it to suit your/your brother's playing once you get it home though. Most guitarists are notorious like that. Just as long as they get you "in the ballpark", with a comfortable set up you'll be fine.

Congrats to both you and your brother. Enjoy the new axe.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys, yup I can't wait to give it to him! Well, I'll let you know how it goes when I pick it up on the weekend, just out of interest, how do those with the PGM301 like it? It just looks like a cool guitar, I'm sure he's gonna love it, he has an Ibanez321 (I think that's it, fixed bridge korean anyway) at the moment. Do you think there will be a big difference between thse guitars in playabliity and sound?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchip
Do you think there will be a big difference between thse guitars in playabliity and sound?
Oh yes.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Heh great! ... I hope he'l be made up with it.

I'm actually feeling quite nervous about picking it up!

Tags
fixed bridge , ibanez pgm , local music store , music store

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode