About Premium (Ibanez S 970) quality ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

About Premium (Ibanez S 970) quality ?

Hello,

Today, I'have played a beautiful guitar, great tones, wonderful look,
I would like to know about the quality of frets guitars premium Ibanez, the hardness, the same of Prestige feature or lower quality ?
Tell me about this aspect.
Thanks you very much and sorry for my bad english, i'm french
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Re: About Premium (Ibanez S 970) quality ?

nobody knows about quality line ibanez premium ?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Reviews: 2

I would guess the quality as far as the frets goes is very good, smooth frets,nice rounded adges. As compared to the Prestige line i can't say anything because i don't own any Prestige. I have only played the Premium guitars at music store and had not anything to complain about the frets. Compared to my high end Japan made guitars the Premium frets felt good. I am sure somebody else in here that own a Premium and also some hige end,prestige guitars can tell you some more.

Last edited by maqify; 10-26-2012 at 03:48 PM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thomann, the first european music store tell me about premium Ibanez, it's very good quality, as well as Japan Ibanez (prestige) !!
They tell me, the frets quality are the same, no difference between Japan and premium ibanez.
If the ibanez users say me, it's true, i'll buy a RG Ibanez Premium.
I'm still waiting for advice !
Thanks !
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM

I have an S5470 Prestige and I received an S5EX1 yesterday which is even below the premium models and is made in Indonesia just like the premium. I'll take a few photos for you. I didn't notice anything off hand that seemed like the quality of the Indo model was suffering. The neck finish isn't as nice as the Prestige but I think a bit of micromesh would solve that. The Indo's neck was a bit more glossy than the back of the headstock (used guitar) so leads me to believe that it was either polished at some point or just playing it does that to the finish. We're taking a very minute difference in feel but it is visible.

The one area I did notice something was the locking nuts. All of them had impressions from being locked down over the strings. I don't see this on the Prestige so the materials being used on the Indonesian models may be different. I'll take a few photos of that too.

But overall, I did not notice this huge difference in quality between the two. The Prestige has better overall components and better detailing. I know the ends of the frets were shaped on the Prestige and I didn't really look closely at the Indonesian model. I did run my fingers over the edges and they did not offend. Played it with bad strings and the pickups sounded horrible. But the premium doesn't have the same pickups so they may be good enough.

Now if you have ready access to used S5470's via ebay or other outlet, that's a harder decision. I think if you like the premium, the finish, and you're saving a bunch of $$$, I'd go for it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 06:34 AM

I've owned a S 970 for a few months now.

The overall quality is very impressive, the quality of the frets is also quite good. There not much else to say really.

The only thing that REALLY bothered me, were the quality of the screws attaching the pickups, which might or might now be made out of plastic.

Other than that, I also have problems getting the string height down to where I like it, but I'm gonna take the guitar to a proper tech to get that fixed.

But to be honest, the guitar is quite expensive ( or was when I bought it ). There are a few prestige guitars that you can get for that price, or even go with a used higher end prestige.

The pickups themselves might need a change too, but they're actually pretty decent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelIV View Post
The one area I did notice something was the locking nuts. All of them had impressions from being locked down over the strings. I don't see this on the Prestige so the materials being used on the Indonesian models may be different. I'll take a few photos of that too.
Yeah, I also noticed that my locking nuts got those impressions. Though, I don't think it's a huge problem, since it won't really affect the guitar itself that much. Or will it?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reviews,
I think I'm going to buy a premium. Everyone says the same thing, the premium Ibanez are good guitars, with quality almost Japan guitars. fretwire is identical to the Japanese.
The purchase is not too expensive, I risk nothing!
However, if some premium users want to share their experiences, opinions are welcome. I'll come read this thread reading.
Thank you very much ...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:52 PM

And also if you buy a new one you will have a insurance for at least 1 year,so i think you'll be fine. Just check everyting when you get it so it's flawless and do a nice setup. And as you say yourself it's not too much money. I will eventually buy one myself, might be my next purchase.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 AM

I own the S970 (now with Duncans in it). Nothing amiss when it comes to QC/ playability. Good guitar going at a good price.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 AM

Is there such a thing as bad frets or just bad fret jobs/work?
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

This is a beautiful guitar, I ordered this one. Not available in the store. I will get my guitar in two weeks. I'm happy with this choice. I'll tell you what i think of this guitar.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Is there such a thing as bad frets or just bad fret jobs/work?

I guess he means bad fret work,sharp adges and so on
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM

Hi everyone,, Im Joe,,, I manage a small Music Store here in Australia. I myself also collect alot of guitars..... Main reason is so I am able to inform customers on various guitars and for my own playing pleasure,, I have studied lots of guitars.. I have looked at the overall build quality and tested out the playability of Fender, Gibson and Ibanez guitars plus a few others.. Keeping it as short as I can,,, I will tell everyone my thoughts on Ibanezs Premium guitars including Steve Vai's Jem70V Premium guitar... Playability on all Premium guitars is fantastic.... Sound varies depending on what pickups are in the guitar but this really just depends on ones taste .............. The only negative I see is that none of the Premium range guitars are finished off to a high enough level for the $ that Ibanez retail these at... From a RG1xxv that I have,, to the RG870QMZ and to the Jem70V and other Premiums,,, Everyone I have seen have minor problems with areas on the guitar that have missed being painted correctly.. these areas are places such as around the inside of the neck-bolt recesses, the area where the bridge sits, and other hard to get at places... When paying a Premium price , we should really get a premium job.. However your main concern is the playability and sound, than the premium range is fantastic!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBluesine View Post
Everyone I have seen have minor problems with areas on the guitar that have missed being painted correctly.. these areas are places such as around the inside of the neck-bolt recesses, the area where the bridge sits, and other hard to get at places... When paying a Premium price , we should really get a premium job..
It's the what-you-don't-see-won't-hurt-you QC...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 AM

Yes in my homeland Finland there was 970 at local store. Good finish on neck and frets, but there was a minor paint flaw: a green dot of paint near the neckjoint, and it was quite visible and annoying.

In Japan they would not had let it leave the factory like that

Tags
ibanez premium s 970

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode