About The RG-GEAR - RG-GEAR - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:24 PM

Reviews: 3
About The RG-GEAR

Part of the reason your UV may have "superior sustain" is that the pickups kick out WAY more gain than a Les Paul (minus a Zakk Wylde) could ever dream of. *Gain = sustain for all practical purposes. *

"186 toothpicks on the ground... yeah..."(or something like that)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:38 PM

About The RG-GEAR

I know what you’re saying Jay, but no… *I have always exchanged pickups for the latest sizzling monsters available. *The stock PU’s in my UV are the weakest ones I presently own. Like I say, it defies scientific explanation.

Maybe we’ll have to have “Sustain Wars” at Jemfest.

I don’t mean to get side tracked from the RG Gear topic. *This just kinda’ popped up.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 05:43 PM

About The RG-GEAR

Nice new J-Custom Kevan! Just think, in a jam you can grate cheeze on it!

Just kidding, it is a nice guitar...
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 06:41 PM

About The RG-GEAR

Wow, that's a neat looking guitar.

So the top really feels 3D? How deep is it cut?

I hope you bring it to JEMFest so we can appreciate it IRL.

Kevan: you need to post some more pics of it.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 01:23 AM

About The RG-GEAR

RG-GEAR, Sigh.
Well, I am going to stick with what I have, and hopefully someday I get to visit Kevan to see the RG-GEAR in person.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 03:04 AM

Reviews: 3
About The RG-GEAR

The top is cut... what.. 4 or 5 mm? *

Cheer up David... You've got more than enough to make up for some silly guitar. *I know this is probably a real backwards way of thinking on a guitar forum... but there's much more to life than pieces of colored wood. *I think once people get mad/upset about not getting a guitar... they are missing out on a lot of other great things in life. (no, I did not become an optimist)
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 03:59 AM

About The RG-GEAR

Does the RG-EGYPT look similar to that as well? I wasn't able to find any pics of it on the net...
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 02:13 PM
lek

About The RG-GEAR

My friend in Malaysia bought a RG-GEAR for about $9500 ringgit a few years ago. It does not come with the J-custom case. I think the exchange rate for ringgit a few years ago was much higher than it is now. Did my friend get screwed by the shop?

I'll be visiting him in X'mas to get a glimpse of the imfamous guitar in person. Maybe he will gimme the guitar as a present
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 12:03 PM

About The RG-GEAR

I think we need to differentiate between the sustain of an unplugged guitar and the sustain of one that is plugged in. *I agree that Ibanez guitars have less sustain unplugged, but I bet you dollars to doughnuts that if you tried to post up my 7V against a Les Paul plugged into my amp the 7V would have WAY more sustain when distorted.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 03:41 PM

About The RG-GEAR

This is a truly interesting conversation. *I agree that a Paul will sustain quite nicely, but I have a Hamer Californian that holds a note forever compared to the couple of Pauls I used to own. *It's wierd, I think. *It does make sense that a stop-tail would be more condusive to the sustain, but the Schaller/Floyd on my Hamer does every bit as well. *The Hamer is a heavy guitar, though. *It's just 2 pieces of bookmatched heavy flame maple. *No mahogony or anything, just maple with an ebony fretboard. *Suppose that makes a difference? *Anyone ever tried putting a brass nut on a Les Paul? *I'm guessing that a person could get some really ringy open chords with one. *

Great site, all, and cool subject matter!!
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 02:42 PM

About The RG-GEAR

One big problem with double-locking trems is the way many people set them up. They have them setup so the can pull up (which is fine) but sometimes sacraficing the angle at which the string crosses the bridge saddle. It needs to be a nice sharp angle with plenty of preassure on the saddle or your sustain will suffer.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 10:36 AM

About The RG-GEAR

In my experience, a good set up and the judicious use of gain will supply me with all the sustain I need - maybe there won't be as much as a 18lb. neckthrough all mahogany & brass hardware behemoth from the '70s, but more than enough for my needs. I have an Ibanez Artist and an Alvarez Summit Custom, both with the shorter LP scale and stop tail, and both have great sustain. I hardly ever play them *As a rule, I'd rather have a trem at my disposal than have endless... and if I can cover Santana with my trem equipped guitars, they must have enough

Anyone out there have a pic of an RG Egypt? I'd love to see one!
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 PM

Re: About The RG-GEAR - RG-GEAR

I had to do it!!! Maybe not the first, but very early thread! I had a RG550, blue, blue mirror pickguard, maple neck, loved it. I put a white VWH pickguard on it, looked better! Favorite guitar until I got a JEM7VSBL!!!!!!

I'm going retro!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 AM

You bumped an 8 year old thread for that?
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 AM

Reviews: 1

Maybe the "T" is missing in his name?

Tags
bob oakman , body shape , dimarzio blue velvet , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony fretboard , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge model , fixed bridge models , flame maple , floyd rose , fret wire , ibanez guitars , les paul , locking nut , locking nuts , locking trems , mahogany body , maple neck , neck joint , neck shape , paul reed , pro edge , strap button , strap buttons , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode