About The RG-GEAR - RG-GEAR - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
About The RG-GEAR

$2100 is about 40% off the LIST price shown on that guitar. That is assuming the LIST is indeed as marked,which seems correct. Good pricing new from dealer... glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 12:26 PM

About The RG-GEAR

I wonder how comfortable it is with the corrugated wood. *Anyone actually played one before?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 12:37 PM

About The RG-GEAR

Wait til' Kevan gets back, it was his newest acquisition.

(Didn't need my better have to figure out how to post....)
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:49 PM

About The RG-GEAR

Better have what? OOhhhhhh, better HALF.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 01:53 PM

About The RG-GEAR - RG-GEAR

I saw this RG-GEAR In this store once. It was brand new and the price was 2100$ (Im quite sure that I bemeber the price wrong tough).
Then I was at the J-custom site that had a picture of the RG-GEAR and there was a price for 3600$.

The guitar was a real beauty, so does somebody know the specs to this fine piece of wood (p.us)? And what is the price for these as Im not sure that should I trust my memory...?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 04:28 PM

About The RG-GEAR

Sorry I'm so late to this one guys. *I couldn't figure out which "POST REPLY" to click on. *(just for you, Glen! *LOL)

Fortunately, I got one of the 1997 J-Custom catalog supplements a couple of weeks ago (Thank you Anonymous!). *A week before that, I picked up an RG-GEAR. *:biggrin:

The body *does* leave indentations on your forearm if you play w/o moving your arm (like me), but it's not painful. *It looks kinda kooky. *I'll take a pic next time it happens.

Here's what floored me about the GEAR:
The top is a 4mm mahogany piece that's separate from the mahogany body. *The "gears" are ebony- and are cut with a laser! *No kidding. *To match them up with a Dremel or hand-sanding is a task even Paul Reed Sm!th would say, "wow...ummm...no. *Do it yourself." *LOL *There is NO filler between the pieces. *Also note that the word "Ibanez" is also inlayed in the headstock.

But wait...there's more...

The grooves in the top are ALSO cut with the laser. *To do it with a router or by hand, *you'd probably have missing chunks from the edges. *Plus, cutting through ebony with ANY tool sucks. *That's some seriously dense wood.

Here are the specs from my J-Custom sheet:

Neck: *3-pcs. Maple (no volute)
Neck Shape: *Wizard
Fingerboard: *Rosewood (with WICKED abalone standard dot inlays)
Fret Wire: *Jumbo
Machine Heads: *Gotoh
Neck Joint: *AANJ
Body Material: *Mahogany
Body Shape: *RG
Bridge: *Lo-Pro Edge
Hardware Color: *Pearl Gold Plated (different than the gold we're used to like on the JEM7VWH)
Front Pickup: *DiMarzio FRED
Middle Pickup: *DiMarzio Blue Velvet (tasty single coil)
Rear Pickup: *DiMarzio Super 3
Controls: *1-Volume, 1-Tone, 5 Way (Split-5) Switch
Strap Buttons: *Gotoh Free Lock *(these suck and were quickly replaced with gold Dunlop Straplok's)

The sustain on this rivals any LesP*ul. *The price on my site of $3600 was the LIST price back in 1997. *$2100 is a great street price esp. if you get the J-Custom case with it. * Also, remember that these were done in VERY limited numbers (my guess: *about 12 of them on Earth).

Wicked guitar, craftsmanship that makes the guys at Tom Anders*n go, "Damn! *How'd they get that so clean?", and rarer than pics of Nikki Cox pre-implants. *:biggrin:

(Edited by Kevan at 9:18 am on Dec. 13, 2000)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 04:45 PM

About The RG-GEAR

How were the grooves laser cut without scorching the wood?

I've seen laser-cut paper sculptures and there's a slight fringe of yellowing around the ****
where the laser did its work. I would imagine to cut thick mahogany, they'd have to really crank it up, and as a result, it would probably cause more burning.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-12-2000, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

About The RG-GEAR

I don't know... is this Ibanez' official "shredPaul" model. Gibson's are no bargain either, and all of these "customs" are overpriced nowadays but until Ibanez learns how to build quality guitars with a FIXED bridge i think I'd take the real thing myself. I look at that axe and ask myself "what is the point". *Sorry to interrupt the J-worship :biggrin:
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 03:52 AM

Reviews: 3
About The RG-GEAR

Glen,
Wow.

Between grill marks on my arm and a Gibson... I'll take my Tom Anderson. *:biggrin:

Personally, I think any guitar with a floyd rose, string retainer and locking nut has horrible sustain. *I must agree that few of the Ibanez fixed bridge models... if any, offer anything too pleasing for a sustain freak.

Back to the GEAR... it is actually not that difficult to cut with a laser. *Burning the guitar is a challange even. *You can program all of the cuts and grooves into a computer in several easy steps (easy for a math major hehe). *The laser only uses the energy needed to go through the top layer of wood. *It is the same way a laser can cut through the lens in your eye without frying your brain.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 04:05 AM

About The RG-GEAR

12 On Earth...Oh Yeah...
Well my price was WAY OFF!!!
I think the price was actually 3670$ or something...

Thanks for the specs Kevan!
I have to start selling my mother for this one...:biggrin:
****e! Its been years since my last visit to the store.
I bet someone buyed that thing off the wall and is playing it right now with a stupid smile on his/her face !:angry:

(Edited by ytsejam at 3:36 pm on Dec. 13, 2000)
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

About The RG-GEAR

Jay - i wont say "horrible" sustain but pickup differences aside the fixed bridge will always win. I think Ibanez needs to rethink their "tremolo on every guitar" stance if they want to create LesPauls for the shred generation. Just my $0.02... glen
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 11:29 AM

About The RG-GEAR

I'd pit my CST against ANY fixed bridge guitar and compare sustain.

"Just bring it."
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 01:56 PM

Reviews: 3
About The RG-GEAR

Do we need to start a "let's buy Kevan a blueshawk for Christmas" fund?

Your CST huh? *Can I use my Guild? *How about my bass? *:cheesy:

Thanks to the way that tremelo saddles and locking nuts are not at all conducive to sustain... the m ***
of your guitar is usually increased for other downfalls... sorry, but I think the CST would have to be about 75LBS of wood in order to match one good LP style guitar (which, coincidentially is already about 75lbs of wood). *
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
site founder 0% owner

About The RG-GEAR

Rumor is the CST and J-Customs are about 75lbs (give or take a few ounces) before they take the laser beam to them, whiddling them down to the weight of a box of toothpicks
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 03:58 PM

About The RG-GEAR

I understand why a fixed bridge and a massive, dense body should be superior for sustain purposes. *Heres the weird thing *I have owned and played several LPs. Except for the one with the bridge bolted to a giant chunk of br *** (EDIT: b r a s s) embedded in the body, my UV has superior sustain. *Im not saying it makes scientific sense. *Im just claiming that it IS so.

The scale on the UV is a bit longer. Maybe thats a contributing factor. *I dont know Im just trying to be scientific.

I will concede that the G string looses some sustain in the upper registers on my UV. *Once again, I dont know the scientific reason.

(Edited by bob oakman at 5:05 pm on Dec. 13, 2000)

Tags
bob oakman , body shape , dimarzio blue velvet , dot inlay , dot inlays , ebony fretboard , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge model , fixed bridge models , flame maple , floyd rose , fret wire , ibanez guitars , les paul , locking nut , locking nuts , locking trems , mahogany body , maple neck , neck joint , neck shape , paul reed , pro edge , strap button , strap buttons , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode