About shiny strings!!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

About shiny strings!!!

Some guitarists' strings (especially Kirk Hammett-Steve Vai-Joe Satriani) looks very shiny on concerts and i can't understand how can their techs do that...When you put on new strings on a guitar with floydrose(i have RG 2570) you have to play for a while to make the strings on tune...But when you play for a while the lower strings' colours turns to brown and lose their shiny looking..If thewy don't play how can they do the tuning?

-thanks
-and sorry for my english...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 05:52 PM

Re: About shiny strings!!!

A lot of pros play their strings for a day or two tops, then change the strings. Strings lose a little high end as they get older, so to keep them responding similarly throughout a tour, pros tend to keep them the same age throughout the tour. you can't do that without changing them all the time.
Their techs change 'em, stretch 'em, and tune em. It's good to be pro, eh?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 05:54 PM

You should force your strings to stretch, not just expect that they stretch from playing... Saves time and ensures better tuning stability...
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 06:11 PM

I have known only one actual touring musician in my life, and I remember him talking about the strings being changed every other show. I would have to assume that is norm for most professional players.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 03:44 AM
GAZ

Properly stretching new strings in takes just a few seconds per string so they shouldn't tarnish that quickly !!!!??? Most pros (or their techs actually !! ) change strings for every single gig, and don't forget they usually use several guitars each gig too.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ
Properly stretching new strings in takes just a few seconds per string so they shouldn't tarnish that quickly !!!!??? Most pros (or their techs actually !! ) change strings for every single gig, and don't forget they usually use several guitars each gig too.
Exactly... but he plays until theyre stretched... that way, its gotta take a while...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 08:04 AM

On stage you usually sweat like crazy and play a little rougher than normal. Changing strings is also a simple precaution.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 AM

if i get more than one gig from a set of strings i feel lucky. i buy my strings in bulk (20-25 sets of 9-42 for floyd guitars and 5-10 sets of 10-46 for all others) and go thru them like mad. i usually get 3-4 months worth of strings from my bulk purchases. i need to get endorsed by a string company- a tech would be nice to so i'm not spending soooo much time restringing!
i'm off to get my usual restringing process under way for this weekends gigs!

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:19 AM

I change my strings weekly after every band practice - why spend so much money on a JEM or high end guitar only not to get the most out of it by using older strings. I also find the feel of used strings not very nice
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:49 AM

Well I haven't changed the strings on my rehearsal axe (a Jem90HAM) for 15 months or so. Evos sound good enough with old strings when you're wearing earplugs lol.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 09:12 PM

i change mine evry 3-4 weeks... and its good nuff that way... i have friends whos strings get so bad after like... 2 days// thats gotta suck
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 04:18 AM
Dee

Not that I'm a "pro", but back when I was touring I changed them every gig. This was my semi-guarantee against string breakage because I didn't have a back up guitar. Never broke a string on the whole tour.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 06:58 AM

I change my strings every day when I’m in the studio, every 2 day when I'm out touring/playing shows and every 3-4 day when I’m at home (if I use the guitar).

There are several reasons to change that often, where the main one is intonation, strings start to intonate bad really fast. The second reason is sound, fresh strings sound good.
It is also to prevent string breaking and just the over all feel of the guitar.

I don’t sweet very much when I play, but strings still die, intonate bad and loose there tone.

That’s why people have shiny strings, they change them.

/Magnus
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez-Mag
I change my strings every day when I’m in the studio, every 2 day when I'm out touring/playing shows and every 3-4 day when I’m at home (if I use the guitar).
No offense intended, but 3-4 days at home is ridiculous That's like buying a car, driving it round the block once or twice and then selling it because it's 'old' . Tops, I change mine every 4 weeks. There's not enough difference in the first week to warrant a change, and after that I justify it by my financial restraints. And please don't reply by calling me a newb, and saying I know nothing about guitars lol. I've been playing 5 years nearly
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeswift
Not that I'm a "pro", but back when I was touring I changed them every gig. This was my semi-guarantee against string breakage because I didn't have a back up guitar. Never broke a string on the whole tour.
I usually went 3 shows without changing strings, and this was REALLY pushing it, although ive luckily never broken a string. We were only making around 75 bucks a piece a night (my drinking money lol) Oh god i miss those nights, crazy chicks backstage, going to class with 1 hour of sleep or none, and allt hat comes with that life :P. I have some good storys about those days thats for sure.

Tags
higher strings , joe satriani , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , lower strings , steve vai , string breakage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode