abyss guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

abyss guitars

i know these have been talked about a little around here, but has anyone actually played one?? i would love to get some feedback from first hand experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Re: abyss guitars

nothing??
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:57 AM

Those are kind of pricey, dontcha' think? Base prices start at 4500 and go up fast. Not many folks trading 550's for them!
But no, I've never seen or played one. They do remind me of the Driskill guitars to look at them, though.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 03:16 PM

I only got to try one of these once at NAMM many years back. I didn't like the feel of it too much myself. If I was to ever actually buy one it'd probably end up on my wall as a painting. For the amount of money they wanted to charge for one of thier nicer looking 6 strings, I could have gotten ESP to custom build me the same thing and I'd STILL have cash left over.

Nice looking guitars, but you may find better value buying a PRS.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
I only got to try one of these once at NAMM many years back. I didn't like the feel of it too much myself. If I was to ever actually buy one it'd probably end up on my wall as a painting. For the amount of money they wanted to charge for one of thier nicer looking 6 strings, I could have gotten ESP to custom build me the same thing and I'd STILL have cash left over.

Nice looking guitars, but you may find better value buying a PRS.
just outta curiousity.. what about the feel of them didn't you like?? i guess i'm looking at the price i could get for arch top quilt maple neck thru 7 strings from smaller builders. If you can even find them, they are all pretty close in price. alembic, DTMcnaught, Abyss, etc. Builders like that are all 4000+ for custom shop. did you feel that you just didn't like the way it felt, or did you think it wasn't well made?? their body shapes have really caught me. and being that i'm willing to spend the cash for one of these higher end guitars. i want to make sure it's not just looks. but good players. even though you didn't like the way it felt. did you feel that it was a well built instrument??
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 03:25 PM

If you are looking for a custom 7-string Carvin is good choice. DC727 or DC747 and they are very cheap too. But don't let the price fool you, they are high end guitars.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitars.php?CID=GTR
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbest
just outta curiousity.. what about the feel of them didn't you like?? i guess i'm looking at the price i could get for arch top quilt maple neck thru 7 strings from smaller builders. If you can even find them, they are all pretty close in price. alembic, DTMcnaught, Abyss, etc. Builders like that are all 4000+ for custom shop. did you feel that you just didn't like the way it felt, or did you think it wasn't well made?? their body shapes have really caught me. and being that i'm willing to spend the cash for one of these higher end guitars. i want to make sure it's not just looks. but good players. even though you didn't like the way it felt. did you feel that it was a well built instrument??
The main thing I didn't like was the feel really. Thing looked really nice but I couldn't really get a good feeling out of the neck. I remember trying the Abyss and then immediately went to the Vigier booth and found the Vigier stuff to play a whole lot better. At that time I wanted a custom guitar that looked kinda evil and had more of a Jem feeling neck so I went to a local luthier/cabinet maker to help build me one. After about a year of designing and building it with the luthier I ended up with this:

Given that it was the first guitar I designed, it does have some minor flaws on it, but I'm going to build another one that's more refined. Moral of the story, if you're going to spend $4000 on a custom guitar, you can spend a whole lot less by going to a builder that's less known. Small builder with some sort of world wide reputation charge WAAAAYYY too much because it's all handmade.

(Oh yeah.. also don't design/build your own guitar unless your 200% sure)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredfreak
If you are looking for a custom 7-string Carvin is good choice. DC727 or DC747 and they are very cheap too. But don't let the price fool you, they are high end guitars.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitars.php?CID=GTR
i tired some carvins at one point.. one store had a bunch of the DC series in.. and i didn't like the way they felt very much. Buddroyce, who would you consider going with?? not a lot of carved top neck thru 7-string makers out there.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:05 PM

*cough* ESP or Jackson *cough*
You'd actually be paying less than going through a small builder. Even though you get quoted $4000+ on the custom shop quote, you actually pay about 60% of the price quoted. As for going to the smaller builders, quality wise I'd suggest trying one of thier guitars if possible first, but I'm pretty sure they're all capable of doing some great quality work, but it depends on their willingness(and cost) of building something outside of what they normally do.

My suggestion here is to get a list of things you want(spec wise), figure out the shape you want(draw it out and scan if it you need to) and possibly an idea of what kind of neck you want. I mean if you're confortable with something like a wizard neck or something like a wizard with some differences, ask them if they can make it for. A 'true' custom guitar builder should be able to build you anything you want and not just limit you to whatever options they give you. You want a true custom guitar, not a variant of an existing model.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

here is where i'm thinking prices will go up.. the jackson i had custojm quoted was 4900. and i realize i'll pay about 3000 or so of that.. but that was with some very standard options. mahogany body, maple neck, regular ebony fingerboard. black headstock. if i start adding like black limba body wood, specially built necks, macassar ebony fingerboard and headstock overlay, different inlays, AAAAA quilt tops, body shapes, headstock shapes, custom carves, piezo electronics, the jackson list price will probabyl go way up to being about the same price anyway. i may get a qutoe on the internet for 4900, but when i tell them i want all the other stuff that you can't choose on the internet quote form, they may be like "oh well the list 7200 with all that stuff". i'm not trying to to say your reasoning is not correct. i'm just trying to think through all possibilities.

does anyone know anyhting abut eric christman guitars, as his stuff looks pretty nice and hs base prices are more realistic, like $2000 for something with a custom body. plus he gives you a 48 hour trial period
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:16 PM

That's why I'd suggest doing a comprehensive list of requirements and going to the various vendors. Jackson is pretty conservative with the custom stuff they do so unless what you're looking for falls into what they normally do, go somewhere else. The same goes for the other vendors actually, but you should seriously have a good idea of how you want your guitar to be like before talking to any of them.

(or if you REALLY want to save some big time $$$ and REALLY want to learn about guitars, you can always design and build your own)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
(or if you REALLY want to save some big time $$$ and REALLY want to learn about guitars, you can always design and build your own)
haha.. i'm not that skilled.. i wish i was.. but with my job and practice and girlfriend taking up time, i would be done with a guitar in about 20 years. but yeah.. there are a few exotic things i'm looking for that i probably won't be able to get from the bigger companies, and if i can it'll probably be just as much. i'm pretty most of the small hand made buiders will do any scales, radii, neck carves.. etc

Tags
black headstock , body shape , custom guitar , custom shop , ebony fingerboard , headstock overlay , headstock shape , local luthier , mahogany body , maple neck , neck thru

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode