Accoustic recomendations? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Accoustic recomendations?

Hey guys, what can you tell me about Yamahas (the APX line)? ive tried some at stores and they seem nice, but i really dont know much about accoustics to be judging build quality and stuff...

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 08:09 AM

what features are important to you? what uses are you going to need it for? those answers might help dictate body size, woods and other features that are inportant to pick the right acoustic for you.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 08:18 AM

Yamaha has always been known for great quality for the price. In fact, even with their 'cheap' offerings, I'm generally impressed with the quality when compared to other cheaper lines by Takamine, Martin, etc.

I have not personally tried the APX line, but I have tried several models in the CPX line. I've owned a CPX15S and currently have a CPX15E. If I were going for a mid-priced acoustic that was versatile (condenser mic AND piezos), and played close to an electric in feel, I think I'd go with a CPX8. Any guitar store should have a CPX8 laying about- really, try one out. Then pick one up on the 'Bay ... something like this item: 3740816348

-Ben
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 11:52 AM

I played one quite a bit when shopping for acoustics a while back. I actually intended on buying it, as used one in a local shop. I was looking for good value, balancing tone with price and this looked to be my best bet....until I picked up the Taylor 714CE that I now own.

I don't know what your budget is, but I have to say that with high end acoustics it appears that you get what you pay for. The Taylor was 3x more expensive but the difference in tone and feel is simply astounding. I didn't want to pay that much more, but when it came down to it, I had no choice...it was that much better.

Against other guitars within the same price range, I would recommend that you play some Tacoma and Seagull guitars. Look for used Gibsons and Guilds as well, heck play everything you can find. Acoustics vary a great deal from guitar to guitar within the same make and model. I played every guitar in 3 shops to finally arrive at my decision to buy the Taylor so take your time and be very picky. I would avoid mail order for an acoustic due to the variability.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Im gonna try and spend no more than $500...

What im looking for is, "decent enough" sound when unplugged, and "nice, clear" sound when plugged, with nice lows and mids... I was looking at the APXs cause of the thinner body (i have been playing electric for too long, so the bigger box of more "real" guitars is not that comfortable...) and id also like the cutaway...

to give a picture id say id like a sound like Paul Gilbert's on Acoustic Samurai, not the most authentic acoustic sound, but it sounds too sweet... i guess thats an Ibanez AE, but there are so many i get lost...

my biggest problem is that i "think electric", so when i check acoustics out at stores i see most of them are korean, or taiwanese, and i cant help gettin itchy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 01:56 PM

So you're going for that Acoustic Samurai thing... but you want nice lows and mids? Sounds like a conflict! I found the AS album to have terrible acoustic guitar tone - thin, AND kinda muddy. But I love PG so I love the album

Anyway- I found an mp3 of me playing my CPX15E; may give you an idea of the Yamaha CPX line. This was only a test to check out the settings on a new mic preamp, so don't expect like a song or anything. This isn't plugged in, but honestly it sounds similar when plugged in, only a bit punchier and brighter (piezos + condenser in the guitar). I still think a CPX8 would be a good bet for you. It will be brighter than my CPX15E if that's your taste since the CPX15E has a quilted mahogany back and sides while the CPX8 has spruce (I believe). They're not big guitars, and I can transition very easily between my electrics and the CPX.

Only marianozz can download this! It's embarassing!!! (Right click and save)
http://www.mindspring.com/~bcoutu/testvtb1.mp3

-Ben
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

lol yeah, i was thinking about the album sound... think more "Always for Allison"...

thanx for the file, ill check it out when i get home (at work now)... and ill check out the CPXs when i go see gear
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 08:34 AM

about a year and a half ago i bought a Tacoma and it was less than half the price of a Martin D-18 and sounds equal but looks twice as good. play as many as possible and like it was said- don't buy mailorder on acoustics! i have had identical models at my store and you will get such variations across the board that i cringe every time i hear about mail order acoustics. don't worry about where it was made - just worry about how it sounds to you and the overall feel. a friend just bought a Godin L6 from eBay and i fell in love with the guitar! the neck is the same as most electrics and the body is super thin. the sound was very useful when plugged in but it won't give you any "lap-tone". sounds like a small banjo when not plugged in. i was hoping to try out an EP7 at Guitar Center last week and they didn't have one or expect to get one.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Hey Beast i heard the file, i love that sound

congrats!!!

and Demon, thx
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 01:53 PM

Thanks marianozz... it's not too traditional an acoustic sound, but I like it Hope you can get a chance to try out some of the CPX's in your area!

-Ben
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 07:09 PM

Sounds nice
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 04:43 PM

Hey, I own an APX- 5LA. I can say that it is a pretty decent guitar.

I strongly recommend it. It's not a Taylor or anything, but it gives you what you need, and the price is affordable too.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man, and welcome to the forums!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 01:47 PM

My dad has an yamaha Apx 7 or something like that. Best Acoustic I ever played. It beats several Takamine and stuff of the like out there. I own a Condor Acoustic that gets close but the Yamaha is just Out of this World! go for it

Tags
acoustic guitar , condenser mic , paul gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

how to re-string a 12 string accoustic
how to lower accoustic guitat action

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode