Acoustic around 300? - thinking about those taylors... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Acoustic around 300? - thinking about those taylors...

Hey all, have most likely a gig at NJ Performing arts, and would maybe like to buy an acoustic for it, trading in my ESP (ltd) mv 200, around 300$.. * I've been thinking about a Talor baby, anyone got impressions about it? *Are there any similarly priced Alvarez or Seagull I should check out? *Thanks all, *BTW, please check out my other thread on the buzzing and fret crowning,.... its getting lonely.. * = *D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 10:36 PM

Acoustic around 300?

I bought one for my sister later year (who never plays it). For the money, I don't see any better guitars out there.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 05:20 AM
Banned

Acoustic around 300?

Try a Seagull that has the Cedar body or possibly a Yamaha with a solid Spruce top. They will both be in that price range
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 07:26 AM

Acoustic around 300?

Aother vote for Seagull or Yamaha. *Some cheap Fenders used to be very Yamaha-ish (10-12 yrs ago), but I dunno what they're like now; might also be worth a look.

If you can go $400, the Carvin Cobalts look promising, but you gotta buy to try & return if unhappy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 12:18 PM
Banned

Acoustic around 300?

No dice on the Fender. I hate to say it but the Fender quality is about as poor as the Ibanez accoustic ( I don't know why the quality on the accoustics isn't as good as the electrics). Oh well. *A taylor 410 is my main accoustic
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 10:54 PM

Acoustic around 300?

I have a baby taylor its small bright but has a nice low end it has low action and a really nice neck with a v-shape contour its a breeze to play and its looks cool too , bye the way its tough as hell too a lil kid fell on it off the top bunk at summer camp i didnt even have to retune it
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Acoustic around 300?

Can you guys gimmie a skinny on all the types of wood available and the quality sound they will produce? *Sorry, I am new to the acoustic world..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:10 AM

Acoustic around 300?

One factor to consider is that although wood is a high determinate factor. The overall sound of an acoustic can improve with the time taken for the varnish to dry. Which in my opinion is almost as important. Thatís why many older guitars are favorites of many rock artists. I've heard varnish can take up to 10 years to dry completely, I cant tell you if that's exactly true but I have 3 acoustics, a 20 year old Fender a 10 year old Yamaha and a two year old ovation. The fender has the deepest most full tone, the Yamaha has a beautiful tone that's easier to play and the ovation is the most comfortable and easiest to play but the sound is not something to be desired. Especially with the feedback I get from the 3 band EQ it sports. Try some local shops that have some decent used acoustics and "listen" to them carefully compared to some new acoustics. Pick out the sound that's the best matched and compare it with any other important factors and you'll find a guitar that will be part of your gear for life. So have fun and keep strumming. *Riff.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 08:14 AM

Acoustic around 300?

Here's one view:
http://www.bourgeoisguitars.com/tapping_tonewoods.htm

Remember to think about the purpose of the guitar, too. *A solo player might choose a full sounding dreadnaught where someone in a band with bass & keys might opt for a brighter, less deep concert style body.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode