Acoustic dilemma, opinions sought - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Acoustic dilemma, opinions sought

Okay, I am caught up in a vicious circle of GAS and I need some help getting out.

I work at a summer camp/outdoor education center and my main acoustic guitar is a 1970s Gibson Blueridge. Belonged to my dad. Great, balanced tone. I would like to get a "beater" acoustic to keep in my office or strapped over my shoulder as I work because I want to minimize the risk to this special, vintage guitar.

Now, "work" for me isn't like I go somewhere and do work until a certain time and then come home. I don't really have a typical day-- when we have groups here, my day would involve hosting meals, riding on a golf cart, teaching, leading games, solving problems. (At a campfire, for example, work might mean that I am playing guitar!) When I am the designated host, I am always on duty, which means that I might arrive at 7:00 am and go home at 10:00 pm, but there would be a fair amount of downtime throughout the day. It would be perfectly appropriate for me to be strumming or picking as long as there wasn't anything pressing to do at that moment.

So here's the problem. I went to check out some cheap acoustics, and they sounded TERRIBLE. Already being an Ibanez fan, I checked the Ibby acoustics out and the lower-end ones look good but were some of the worst-sounding to me. The cheap Fenders were the same, tinny and just . . . unmusical. The best ones I found were the Epiphone Masterbilt series (Chinese-made, all solid wood) and they sounded GREAT for $500-600.

But then, I thought wow, if I'm gonna pay five hundred bucks, I could go up a little higher and get a decent Martin or Taylor. And then I found that the all-solid-wood Martins were a screaming value at around a thousand dollars . . . 80-90% of the sound quality of a D-28 for 30-50% of the price. And then, of course, my reasoning collapsed and I found myself back where I started . . . with a nice guitar that ought to stay nice. So I'll just get a beater . . . but they sound terrible, so . . .

I need a guitar that I can play the *@%& out of, indoors and out, don't care if it gets dinged, scratched, stolen, whatever. Oh, and it has to have decent sound, acceptable tone. And it has to cost less than five hundred dollars. I know this doesn't exist, and I keep going around and around between "buy the best you can afford and protect it" and "pay about $150 and get over it -- live with the tin can tone."

Thoughts, recommendations, advice, whatever ya got, gladly accepted.

Peace

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 06:22 PM

Re: Acoustic dilemma, opinions sought

I play a taylor 414ce and baby it, amazing guitar. for my travel acoustic I use a 70's Alverze yari i picked up used not to long ago for $500 its sounds great and luckly it already had a piezo added to it. If i hadn't have found it i was going to get a cheaper used taylor like the 214 or even the 110ce i have played them and think they sound the best for the price range. I say just go pawn shopping and dont worry about name just tone and feel. Keep that $500 handy and be patient. good luck
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 10:42 PM

Re: Acoustic dilemma, opinions sought

Art and Lutherie is the cheapest good sounding acoustic IMO. (The solid top model). Then would be the entry level Seagul guitars. You might also want to look at Blueridge. They have a good reputation although I haven't tried them.

Last edited by Rotti; 04-30-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Tags
acoustic , cheap acoustic , epiphone , gibson , martin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode