Acoustic guitar help!...nick sizes...vintage yamaha, suggestions? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Acoustic guitar help!...neck sizes...vintage yamaha, suggestions?

***oops, I mean neck...not nick

So I picked up an awesome deal at gc a few of months ago. A vintage yamaha fg450sa for 150 bones. It was a steal in the condition it is in...i'd say a solid 9.0 at least. The guitar has tone for days...I love it. I actually picked it up for my Uncle since he was in the market and sold it to him for the price. I had recently bought his old goya nylon from him with the intent that he was in the market for a steel string. He liked the sound of my cousins steel string (takamine). But he just can't get used to the neck. I can feel that the yamaha neck profile is a slight v shape, whereas say a takamine is a little more round. I think it is also the difference between nylon/classical vs. steel string spacing. I urged him to try it a bit longer but it just seems that he isn't "feelin' it". I will be buying it from him so he can look for another (which I am stoked about since I have actually been scouring for another one ever since...3bay, CL, gc).

My question: Before my uncle goes back to classical...is there a company that makes a steel string is fatter than your average neck (wider fretboard, C profile)? and still has a great tone. But nothing in the price range of a taylor or martin.

guild, A&L, S&P, Seagull, Norman, etc...

tried takamine...still a little thin
don't like fender acoustic tone

Any suggestions welcome.
THANKS!

Last edited by megawzrd; 12-13-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-14-2006, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Re: Acoustic guitar help!...nick sizes...vintage yamaha, suggestions?

Well I went to gc and actually got an excellent recommendation: Seagull and gretsch. They only had a couple of seagulls but they sounded alright, I will definately have my uncle check em out.

Anybody...out there know of a couple more companies?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode