Acoustic Recommendations - what's your unplugged weapon? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Acoustic Recommendations - what's your unplugged weapon?

I'd like to add an acoustic to my stable. *I was wondering what fellow Jemsiters have for the unplugged sound. *

My price range is in the $600 ballpark. *Taylors, Martins, Larrivee are out of reach, I'm afraid.

I like wide fretboards. *If they came as wide as a nylon classical that would be cool. *I'd also like a cutaway version, as well.

I've got my hands on quite a few, but few have made a good impression. * Seagull has a couple of nice sounding ones....the Artist series Mahogany bodied one was pretty decent. *Alvarez also had a nice one that was all maple.

I expect at some point to walk into a store, pick one up and never let it go! *I've been shopping for about 6 months now and nothing has struck me.

Any wide fretboard, cutaways that I should be trying out?

Thanks,
Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 04:47 PM

Acoustic Recommendations

try the taylor big baby it has a fender-esque v shaped neck pretty wide fretboard and the tone is loud and clear the action is low all the way up the neck *and the tone isnt overly bright its what i have and man i absoloutley love it and ive tuned it down about 2 steps without it getting oveerly muddy great guitar!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 04:49 PM

Acoustic Recommendations

Alvarez makes GREAT acoustic guitars for your price range, but I'll always favor Guild.

Gabe
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 04:51 PM

Acoustic Recommendations

For the money, Seagull's are actually a great guitar. *Definitely a lot of bang for the buck. *
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 05:07 PM

Acoustic Recommendations

Check out the Carvin Cobalt series.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Acoustic Recommendations

Quote:
DaveSwift on 5:07 pm on Mar. 19, 2002
Check out the Carvin Cobalt series.
I'd like that, but isn't Carvin a mail order company? *I do not want to buy an acoustic I've never played before. *I'm sure they must have a return policy but it's a bit inconvenient.

Do you have one or know of someone who has one?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 07:42 PM

Acoustic Recommendations

Seagull is my prefered acoustic... Sold my Martin after buying my Seagull Artist Mahogany Folk, because the Seagull was a better guitar in every department...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 07:49 PM

Acoustic Recommendations

For the money Seagulls are nice...but I don't recall particularly wide fretboards. *They may have changed or I might be wrong.

I dig my Taylor 414CE to pieces.
Greg
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 08:32 PM

Acoustic Recommendations

I'd take a Seagull anyday. In fact, any Canadian made acoustic. My Simon & Patrick 12 string is awesome.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 09:57 PM

Acoustic Recommendations

I like Seagull & Yamaha at that price. *And ONE Fender model - something-26-something. *For a *slightly* smaller body w/ cutaway & electronics, look into it.

I've heard great things about the Cobalts. *They have a trial period, so you're only out the shipping if you don't like it. *I'd try it in that price range. *The second they come out with a concert sized electric cutaway, I'm ordering one.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 08:03 AM

Acoustic Recommendations

Another vote here for Seagull. *While it always makes sense to stick to your budget, I splurged for a Taylor awhile back after years on low, low-end acoustics, and it's done tons for my playing. *Comparing to the electric market, there just seems to be a bigger spread in quality between the mid-low-priced acoustic guitars vs. the higher-priced ones.

Good luck! *- Chris
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 10:30 AM

Reviews: 5
Acoustic Recommendations

I currently own 3 acoustics:

- Washburn EA20 Festival Series (electric/acoustic)
- Yamaha APX10 (electric/acoustic)
- Custom made classical, nylon-stringed (acoustic)

In the price range you've mentioned, I'd take a Yamaha or Ovation.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 10:53 AM

Acoustic Recommendations

I currently have the acoustic I learnt to play on, which is a very nice washburn. Don't know what model it is, but it's nice
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 07:44 AM

Acoustic Recommendations

I have an old Gibson archtop acoustic that my late grandfather passed on to me as the only guitarist in the family. It's sunburst with twin F-holes, a tortoiseshell pickguard and a real brazilian Rosewood fingerboard that smells amazing. The neck has a deep V shape to it. Looks a lot like the model that Charlie Christian used to play in the 1930s but without the p/up. If you look through the top F hole there is a yellowed paper label which tells you that the guitar is a Gibson made in Kalamazoo. Heres the but........ The headstock doesn't read 'Gibson'. It reads 'Kalamazoo'.
I haven't got a clue about the history or the model number etc but it's a beautiful guitar and I love it. I string it up with tapewound stings for that authentic appeal. I play it every week but keep it the case for the rest of the time. When I can afford a place with more space I will display it properly.

Back to the question at hand: I'm a big fan of the Taylor Big Baby too. Well made, great sound and not too expensive. I'd love to get one but an MM Axis is higher on my shopping list.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2002, 09:32 AM

Acoustic Recommendations

I like the ovation baladeer. *Also, you could do well trying to find a used Alvarez Yari.

Tags
acoustic guitar , beautiful guitar , fat tone , kramer pacer , rosewood fingerboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode