Action of my RG3120 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Action of my RG3120

Hey everyone........

Currently my RG3120 has got an 2,1mm action on the low side and 1,9mm on the hight side measured at the 24th fret. I'd like to get it lower but it won't go without fretbuzz. Since this is a Prestige model I'd figured out it would be able to go lower since the fretwork is perfect. I think it might be the nut that is shimmed too high or the neck angle. Any tips for checking these 2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:14 PM

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
You'll prolly find all that stuff right there.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontalonis
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
You'll prolly find all that stuff right there.
Thanks for that.........I just found out my nut hight on the low E string is 1mm and according to ibanezrules.com that's about 0,7mm too high.
Sadly I don't see any shims under the nut so that's gonna give me a bit trouble..

"Most of the new Jems I receive have nut height at the first fret low E around 1mm, about .7mm too high!! "
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:16 PM

Yeah you may want to take it to the luthier and have him recess shave the nut route a little lower.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah you may want to take it to the luthier and have him recess shave the nut route a little lower.
Just a quick question. Just that I don't see them without having removed the nut really means they are not there? Or is there a change that they are still there though?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 06:38 PM

The shims i've seen come in sizes of .1, .2, and .3mm so you may just want to check. It isn't hard though. What you do is unlock the nut loosen the strings a lot, unlock the from the bridge. The strings should be completely off the bridge now. Then you take the nut off and look. Then just put you nut back (SNUG UP THE ALLEN SCREWS ON THE BACK, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!) and then lock the strings back in the bridge. Lemme know how it goes.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The shims i've seen come in sizes of .1, .2, and .3mm so you may just want to check. It isn't hard though. What you do is unlock the nut loosen the strings a lot, unlock the from the bridge. The strings should be completely off the bridge now. Then you take the nut off and look. Then just put you nut back (SNUG UP THE ALLEN SCREWS ON THE BACK, DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!) and then lock the strings back in the bridge. Lemme know how it goes.
Alright I'll check it today.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:17 AM
Vendor

There's a much easier way to tell. Pull the outer pads and look in the bolt holes, if you see brass there's shims, if you see wood there isn't
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
There's a much easier way to tell. Pull the outer pads and look in the bolt holes, if you see brass there's shims, if you see wood there isn't
Nice one......that way i don't need to remove the entire bridge again (not that it is hard work or anything ).
Thanks!

Going to school now.......have some tests to attend to.....
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Just checked it by unsrewing one screw. I see some silver metal in there (not the screw ring). I suppose this means that there is a shim there? In that case....good
Can anyone confirm this?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
Just checked it by unsrewing one screw. I see some silver metal in there (not the screw ring). I suppose this means that there is a shim there? In that case....good
Can anyone confirm this?
No luck......just removed the nut.......no shim........

Think I'm going nuts
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 06:52 PM

If you're very careful you can use a wood file, then some sandpaper (on a block) to remove the wood yourself.

I did this on my 1999 RG520 that not only had too much wood, but shims as well!!! (I think I measured the nut at about 1.3 mm at the first fret.)

The neck, when I got it, was dead straight and at first I didn't really notice how high the nut was, then I did a top to bottom set up and DAMN! LOL

You have to maintain equal pressure on both sides of the file, and you should use a fairly fine file and do it just a little at a time, checking often how low you've gone (you can use the edge of the fretboard as a reference point).

DO NOT do what I did. I used a fairly course routing file and took off about .5 mm too much (actually woked out okay, once I ordered shims from Rich)

Ideally you'll want to wood to either be perfect, or slightly lower than needed (that way you have room to go up AND down as the guitar ages and the wood changes).

Oh, one last thing, if you do try it yourself, masking tape is a must. (Thank God for paint "marker" sticks. LOL)

Mic

Tags
neck angle , nut height

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode