Ad hoc purchase: RGR321EX - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Ad hoc purchase: RGR321EX

I got a good deal on a second-hand Ibanez RGR321EX a couple of days ago. These things are made in Indonesia so my expectations weren't that high, but I wanted a cheap, moddable hardtail RG, so I decided to give it a shot. Apparently this model isn't available in USA, but I would guess the RGR421EX you guys have is at least somewhat similar.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box. This thing looks amazing, better than in those catalog shots. The body binding is a nice touch.

Reverse headstock goodness! The neck is probably best part of this, especially if you prefer the Wizard II profile (I have to say it's not my personal favorite). It was really well crafted, actually just as well as the MIJ counterparts I've owned and tried out. The frets are even and they don't stick through the binding. Also the tuners and nut seem to be pretty good since this thing stays in tune no matter what.

The "Designed by EMG" pickups were a complete mystery to me before this. I'm not completely sure to what to think of them yet compared to a V7/V8 set for example, but one thing that stands out is that the sound is bassy as hell. The bassiness and slight muddyness were there even when I EQ'd bass below 9 o'clock and boosted mids and treble.

I think the neck pickup is pretty good for leads, and the cleans are surprisingly nice in neck and middle positions. As for the bridge pickup, changing it probably wouldn't be a bad investment. Dropped tunings are out of the question because of the muddiness, and overall its sound lacks definition. Who knows, it might work in a body other than basswood though. It'd also be interesting to do some A/B testing and hear how identical these are to the passive EMG HZ series. I haven't tried those personally.

Other electronics do their job alright. There's not much use for the tone pot with these pickups though, you might as well wire it to have separate volumes for both pups. The control cavity was shielded throughout which was a nice touch.

The only finishing flaw I found was that the body binding isn't even, there are small chips here and there. Luckily they stick out only when you start looking for them. Also it looks a bit weird when the neck binding is snow white, but the body binding is cream.

Simon says everything is OK though. I'm glad he doesn't work at the J-Custom line :)

And finally, here it is with its cousins.

Overall, the guitar was way better than I expected it to be. What I'd like to do is swap the neck for a maple fretboarded Wizard and put a brighter pickup in the bridge. In cany case this seems like good bang for the buck, well worth checking out if you want a budget hardtail RG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 AM

Re: Ad hoc purchase: RGR321EX

Looks cool and if they are cheap enough then the small flaws can easily be overlooked

I think the RG321 was a decent axe for the right price but the bound neck and body and reverse headstock on that RGR321 really sets it off.

I wouldn't mind getting a second hand RG321 for cheap and have a reverse headstock, Wizard profiled neck made for it.

What pups are you planning to install?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
What pups are you planning to install?
I'm not really sure. On the other hand I'd like to try some of the Guitar Fetish pickups, but on the other hand I'd like a blue Air Norton / Tone Zone set for my 550, and after that I could install the leftover Breed in the 321.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 01:34 PM

where did you buy that guitar?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 PM

I also purchased it with .11 strings and c-drop tuning. Works well for that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP13 View Post
where did you buy that guitar?
Classified ads section of a Finnish music-related website. If you want to buy a new one and can't find it locally, lots of European music stores carry it and also ship internationally.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , ibanez rgr , maple fret , maple fretboard , music store , neck binding , neck pickup , reverse headstock , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode