Adjusting Action (Advice Please) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Adjusting Action (Advice Please)

So the other day it was mentioned in a forum that to adjust the action on an Original edge it was not necessary to release tension on the strings because its made out of high quality hardened steel. What are you opinions on this and also if I release the string tension when adjusting action do I also block the tremolo or let it sink into the body while I adjust? Also if you're releasing the string tension to adjust the tremolo and you do block it does blocking the bridge to preserve the 90 Degree angle negate the tension released by detuning the strings? I'd like to have a healthy conversation. Also just to add to said conversation I spoke with a Floyd Rose tech about this a while ago concerning a FRT 01000 series bridge which is also made out of hardened steel and he noted it was not necessary. I do realize these are different bridges made to different standards and what not but similar metals are used. Thought it might be worth mentioning. Thank you in advance I appreciate any and all input on this matter. I've heard so many different opinions on this its nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:05 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Adjusting Action (Advice Please)

no need to remove tension while adjusting the Edge, LoPro, EdgePro studs. Anyone saying otherwise is just lacking in practical application of knowledge.

if you want to (for no reason) just pop off the springs then bridge takes 30-seconds (but of course and risk of scratches, damages, etc.).

Never discuss "Floyd rose" and in the same manner... these are entirely different systems with different quality, knife edges, posts & inserts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Adjusting Action (Advice Please)

Thank you for the speedy reply. If it really is not necessary to release tension on anything I think you're right to avoid the headache of scratches, possible damage and wasted time I'll do like what you said. And I apologize about the 'Floyd Rose' comment I didn't mean that as a comparison, I guess I was thinking since the metals we're somewhat similar and the Original Edge being manufactured to much higher standards, Quality control, etc.. It would also be safe to adjust the Edge the same way. I do apologize tho and I will heed what you said for future reference. I guess I want to make sure by no means do I damage my guitar in anyway. Knowledge is power
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 06:15 AM

If you want your term to stay fresh you should defiantly remove tension when adjusting the tremolo poles. The trem knifes and the slot in the poles will die fast on you, with tuning ability problems, otherwise.

Feel free to think that I lack practical application of knowledge, it is fine with me (I will never come in contact with, or buy, your used guitars anyway).

/Magnus
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 06:40 AM

I learned a lot from Mr. Rich, but on this, I will always totally agree with Mr. Magnus.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:41 AM

I also agree with Magnus. I ruined a stud once. Luckily the knife was still good, but the stud needed exchange. The studs are not expensive, but it took me quite a while to find the failure of the tuning stability problem (a bad return to neutral can have various reasons and you try everything else first if you don't have a spare stud on hand).

Rich has an excellent description of how to remove the trem. This can be done in a few seconds. I don't see any reason not to do this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 09:39 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

If rotating the Edge studs wrecks the trem knife edges or the stud then so will using the tremolo.

Please read that again.

You should not be playing that axe.

In this event it is likely a current issue with the trem knife edges that is overlooked & needs immediate attention. Anyone with trem instability should pull it an inspect (and fix) the knife edges first.

An Edge equipped axe that holds tuning does not fall in this category.

I used to have to file the OFR studs every few weeks as they burred up. I think some of you are spoiled by the overall quality of axes sold today and their metal parts and tend to underappreciate their quality.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
If rotating the Edge studs wrecks the trem knife edges or the stud then so will using the tremolo.
The knife edge is designed to ride in the stud's groove, not to cut through metal with frictional force.
A small contact with minimal friction is why the floating trem works this good.
And yes: Even if it takes years, every use of the trem will wear it down.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:58 AM
Vendor

Rich is online  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:29 AM

True, but there are not too many new technical aspects about the original edge we could have such a nice discussion about.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post

Please read that again.

You should not be playing that axe.

In this event it is likely a current issue with the trem knife edges that is overlooked & needs immediate attention. Anyone with trem instability should pull it an inspect (and fix) the knife edges first.

An Edge equipped axe that holds tuning does not fall in this category.

I used to have to file the OFR studs every few weeks as they burred up. I think some of you are spoiled by the overall quality of axes sold today and their metal parts and tend to underappreciate their quality.
Yes, using the tremolo will eventually wear out the poles and knife edges too.
You have to change them every now and then, depending on how much you play.
The frets, my picks, the strings, even the wood, gets worn out too.
But why care? It is a tool meant to be used.

/Magnus
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 08:01 PM

If you have previously lubricated the trem studs, then there really should be no issue if you are moving them to adjust the action.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
If you have previously lubricated the trem studs, then there really should be no issue if you are moving them to adjust the action.
Lubrication lowers friction, it doesn't remove it (or the pressure from the strings).
It will be an issue even if you lubricate.

Metal against metal moving with pressure on it, will always wear out no matter what you do.

A set of 10-46 strings puts a pressure of 46,51kg on those little metal parts, no lubrication in the world can prevent that from wearing out.

/Magnus
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:50 PM
Vendor

Magnus, you have every reason to feel like that as you have as many 3rd world Ibanez as you do Fujigen, and all your Edge3 knife edges are deforming as I type just hanging on your wall, especially with 10's. If detuning everything you own works for you, great.

To the rest of the world, Edge, Lo Pro, Edge Pro, Edge Zero, and EZ2 guitars do not need to do anything more than turn the lubed stud [after unlocking of course].

But in the end everybody should follow their own path to feel comfortable adjusting as you see fit, which means being as careful or as careless as you want. You're the only one that has to be comfortable with your process and it doesn't matter what anybody else says to you.

That said, the rest of you may return to -

Rich is online  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Magnus, you have every reason to feel like that as you have as many 3rd world Ibanez as you do Fujigen, and all your Edge3 knife edges are deforming as I type just hanging on your wall, especially with 10's. If detuning everything you own works for you, great.

To the rest of the world, Edge, Lo Pro, Edge Pro, Edge Zero, and EZ2 guitars do not need to do anything more than turn the lubed stud [after unlocking of course].

But in the end everybody should follow their own path to feel comfortable adjusting as you see fit, which means being as careful or as careless as you want. You're the only one that has to be comfortable with your process and it doesn't matter what anybody else says to you.

That said, the rest of you may return to -

I am with you, Rich. What I have said in the tread are with edge (low pro etc) in mind.
But I don't remove the tremolo on my guitars (don't tune down either) when adjusting it.
But it is a bit careless, it will ruin them faster than if I didn't do it.
But when out on the road and no guitar tech with you are there just no time for caring to much. I just change the trem when it starts to behave bad.

With that said, tech type care are overkill for most players out there.

I love beating dead animals.

/Magnus

Tags
action , adjust , ibanez , original edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode