Adjusting the bridge radius - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Adjusting the bridge radius

Hello!
I own a Ibanez Prestige model (with Edge Pro) and I'm thinking about how to adjust the bridge radius to the neck radius. I also own a Yamaha with an vintage tremolo, and on this guitar each string lays on a saddle (like on the Ibanez) but each saddle can easily adjusted with two tiny screws (between these two screws is the string and you can individually adjust each string in its height with this screws). I think you know what I mean.
On my Ibanez Edge Pro I didn't find something like this to set the radius, so I have searched in the net. On the site: www.ibanezrules.com I have read that he adjusts the radius with special "shims". I wrote him a mail and asked where I can get these shims, but he said he makes them. I live in spain, so it's not very easy to buy them at his shop, I think. Has anyone of you an idea how these shims should look like or how I can make/get them?
Thanks for reading and your help!
Felix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 05:16 AM

Re: Adjusting the bridge radius

Try www.allparts.com

Search on "shim"
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Do you mean this one: http://www.allparts.com/categories.p...KING%20SADDLES
quite at the end of the page, article number: BP_2214-001 ?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 07:20 AM

That's what I thought you'd use. I haven't used them myself, but I assume they'd work as well as Rich's homemade ones - or you could make them yourself like Rich does. Maybe worth the purchase if you only need them to set up 1 or 2 guitars and can afford $10 (although I don't know about shipping to where you are might make it not worth the cost).

Rich sets up so many guitars, he'd have to spend a small fortune to purchase them at almost $1 per (allparts.com charges $10 for 12 of them) - he is smart to make them himself.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 07:26 AM

BTW - allparts.com has a link on the their page(s) for their International Distributors - you could try that route ...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Vendor

He misunderstood, I said I have them made. Allparts went over 6 months with no supplier and I got very tired of spending 20 minites per guitar just to make shims for it. The allparts shims only come in one size, too thick.
Rich is online  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

I am sorry! I'm not always very safe with the english grammatic... So you told someone to made them, didn't you? Is it possible to give me the size of the shims and the material they are made of? This would be very helpful for me! I really have to say that this is just one great site. Thanks Rich and RedShifterRider for your help!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
...The allparts shims only come in one size, too thick.
Ah ha, they are too thick...good thing you checked here V! Thanks, Rich!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 01:07 PM
Vendor

Use Pepsi cans and cut your own with scissors. Make sure it's Pepsi or it won't taste right.
Rich is online  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2006, 01:15 PM

Naw - for the ultimate taste use BEER cans
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great idea! I think I'm gonna mix the taste with different cans...
One last question: Where do I have to put these shims? ( http://www.jemsite.com/tech/img/t_edg.jpg ). They don't have to be just layed between the string and the saddle, do they (cause when I restring the guitar, the shims would always fall off )?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:38 AM

UNDER (beneath) the saddle lad
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:01 AM

Reviews: 1
Talking Re: Adjusting the bridge radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Use Pepsi cans and cut your own with scissors. Make sure it's Pepsi or it won't taste right.
Of course pepsi rules !!! but sometimes its just a pain in the a$$, anyways about that shim??? what are the for? didnt really understand
JJ
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironjose
Of course pepsi rules !!! but sometimes its just a pain in the a$$, anyways about that shim??? what are the for? didnt really understand
JJ
To raise the string height. Sometimes you need to raise individual strings for correct radius and to ease fret buzz, etc.

And BEER rules
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
And BEER rules
I agree, as long as it's not a Silver Bullet!

Tags
fret buzz , ibanez edge pro , neck radius , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode