Adjusting Zero Point (ZPS3) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Adjusting Zero Point (ZPS3)

Hi!

I have some doubts about the Zero Point System. Recently I have bought an RG2550Z. When it arrived I was struck by the fact that the bridge was not parallel to the body. I have always read about making them parallel on all Edge bridges. So I adjusted it to this position but then the stop rod doesn't contact the tremolo block and the whole ZPS doesn't make sense. If I make it contact the block, the trem is tilted. A friend of mine tells me it can't be adjusted and I have to go one way or the other. For now, I have dismounted the stop rod and use the tremolo as fully floating but I would put it back if it could be adjusted somehow. Is it possible or is my friend correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:43 AM

Re: Adjusting Zero Point (ZPS3)

Your friend is correct in one way, but there is a way so that you can have the cake and eat it. It involves making a custom stoprod that is thicker in the middle so it actually touches the block when the trem is in parallel position. I've made a few rods for myself, I have access to a lathe at work.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 10:46 AM

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/ng...ds-129776.html

Check out the pictures in this thread and you'll see what I did.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply and explanations. My friend suggested a similar solution (adding a thin layer of aluminium to the centre of the original stop rod). I guess he is right. I'll think about it as I am not able to do a custom stop rod. Thanks anyway. It's strange that Ibanez hasn't made it fully functional, though.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2015, 06:42 PM

Dude, right?! I have the same situation. And I have a 2550z AND a 3550mz that do the same thing. With the ZPS bar in, the bridge tilts forward, like an original Edge. But with the bar out, I have to tighten the springs using the wheel to counter the string tension to bring the bridge back parallel. Now mind you, I do like the feel better with the ZPS in because of the fact that there's less spring tension and a little of that pull is supported by the ZPS bar when the stop bar is snug against it, but just the fact alone that it's not level irks me so I leave it out...Also I like the flutter effect too much to give it up for a much slinkier feel. I actually tried it tilted forward with the ZPS out and found it's still a bit slinkier and did like it but again, I get finicky about particulars and just changed it back so I could sleep at night lmao. I think I've read in one of the newer Ibanez catalogs that for the EZ bridge with the bar in it can do a small divebomb, but with the bar out it should sit level so they must be aware of it. WHY that is the case? No idea. I've even looked on Ibanezrules (Best Ibanez site ever) to look at pictures of any EZ bridges to see if they tilt forward at least a little but they look pretty much level. I've even had the whole bridge out of the body on both guitars and it's a pretty good even looking piece of hardware so.... The whole thing still leaves me feeling open ended. For now I'm still just leaving the ZPS out. Might as well, it's still a floater and I trick myself into justifying the bridge by thinking "Well, even the J-Customs have em, so they must be good...right?" I Googled the crap out of this issue yesterday so I'm glad you brough it up! Ha
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:04 AM

The Edge Zero is a superior trem when used without the zps system. But if you care to do the mod I suggested above, it's even a better trem. I have one guitar fully floating and one with a custom stoprod (both fully leveled).

I got nothing bad to say about the Edge-Zero, it's flaw lies in the hit and miss during production and installing of the zps system.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 AM

I haven't had any real trouble with my ZPS (I have an RG2550MZ and RG1550MZ) and I prefer it in, just because it makes my guitars feel a little different than the OE/LPs and OFR I have. I'll have to look into this more I guess.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 01:07 PM

I've had issues with a couple of my Edge Zero J-Customs in the past, but not with their function. It was more of a case of poor quality parts in the early runs of these. I had a saddle collapse and I had some strange rattles between saddles on another. The good news is that on my 3727 7 string, it is absolutely perfect. No issues. I would have preferred an edge lo pro on that but it works nicely as is.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:04 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I haven't had any real trouble with my ZPS (I have an RG2550MZ and RG1550MZ) and I prefer it in, just because it makes my guitars feel a little different than the OE/LPs and OFR I have. I'll have to look into this more I guess.
I agree. I have 2 guitars with Edge Zero trems (RG2550Z and RG3770Z) and you shouldn't have to modify anything - it sounds like you need to spend some more time understanding how to adjust it properly. Don't get hung up on how perfectly parallel the trem is - that will change a bit as you adjust it. Mine aren't perfectly parallel but the action is nice and stop bar is roughly where it should be and they seem to work fine...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I agree. I have 2 guitars with Edge Zero trems (RG2550Z and RG3770Z) and you shouldn't have to modify anything - it sounds like you need to spend some more time understanding how to adjust it properly. Don't get hung up on how perfectly parallel the trem is - that will change a bit as you adjust it. Mine aren't perfectly parallel but the action is nice and stop bar is roughly where it should be and they seem to work fine...
No you shouldn't have to do that but sadly sometimes there's so much gap between the rod and block when trem is parallel that's not even possible to use the zps system. And for perfect set-up the rod should be touching the trem when it's leveled.

ZPS is not adjustable... It's where it is from the factory. If your unlucky the only way to use it is to have an angle on the trem or leave it out. Or mod it to get it perfect.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 04:18 PM

The reason you have the stopbar is to avoid unintentionally flutter and always have a set point where the trem return to after the dive. You can't have this if bar isn't touching the trem. And the trem itself works best when it's leveled.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I think we need to get Rich in here and hear his opinions on the EZ/ZPS and if Eskil's comments hold any truth to them..
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskil View Post
Your friend is correct in one way, but there is a way so that you can have the cake and eat it. It involves making a custom stoprod that is thicker in the middle so it actually touches the block when the trem is in parallel position. I've made a few rods for myself, I have access to a lathe at work.
I've been trying to think of a solid fix for this and never thought about making a custom stop rod. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I think we need to get Rich in here and hear his opinions on the EZ/ZPS and if Eskil's comments hold any truth to them..
Well, I can tell you this; When set-up like I've done with a custom rod you really get the best of both worlds. The trem acts like a fixed bridge cause the zps springs counter all sort of flutter from heavy playing plus you don't have worry about return to pitch after a dive or pull for that matter because you have it levelled. (try doing a pull-up with a bridge that has an raised angle and see where you return to).

I'm not trying to BS you, it's just a matter of mechanical sense. Ibanez developed the ZPS system for the trem with ball-bearings (don't remember the name for it now, is it ZR?) and that trem don't need to be levelled like a knifetype trem.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 08:18 AM

And I'm not telling anybody how they should set up their Edge-Zeros with zps, just stating my opinion about it and what I have done. Each to their own.

Tags
edge zero , rg 2550z

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode