Advantages of a Neck Thru guitar? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:42 PM

Re: Advantages of a Neck Thru guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
I actually prefer bolt ons, FWIW. It's something about the harmonic content - there's a bit more in the midrange on a neck thru whereas the fundamental and upper harmonics on a bolt on are a little more prominent by comparison, because of what's not there... It translates into a clearer tone with a bit more sparkle and snap to the attack. Likewise, the body wood comes to play more of a part in the sound with a bolt on, whereas the neck through's construction means the neck wood tends to dominate.

I'm a Strat guy from way back, so I just sort of dig the sound of a maple necked bolt on with an ash or alder body. Personal taste, I'll admit, but it's what I like.
+1

i think this is the most important difference between the 2 types of neck construction. everyone talks about sustain, but honestly there are so many things that affect sustain and neck construction (along with bridge/trem type, body type, neck wood type, pickups, amp settings, distortion, etc.) is just one of them. properly set up guitars will sustain very well regardless of neck construction so this should probably not be the primary concern when comparing the 2. however, the inherent sound of neck-thru vs bolt on should probably be the first. some people prefer a thicker sound and some prefer more attack and 'snap'. it all boils down to preference (as most things in life do) so it's inaccurate to say one is inherently better than another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:49 PM

www.haightguitars.com This is the guy I was talking to... He makes incredible sounding acoustic guitars. With bolt on necks.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 09:01 PM

Wink Re: Advantages of a Neck Thru guitar?

[QUOTE=ELicari;841427]Right! If you break the neck time to get a new guitar,but i`ve had probably over 40 guitars in my time and i never broke a neck!
QUOTE]

You musn't be smashing them properly!
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Things get reputations for all sorts of stupid and valid reasons; it doesn't mean those reputations are valid.
Hmmm..... especially from guitarists ? Point taken (although in this instance I'm pretty sure it's valid).

No-one mentioned the main two reasons to get a neck-through:

1. They improve upper body strength;
2. They look good.

Damn you people! Damn your GAS-inducing threads!
post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 11:15 AM

The thing is, that there are virtually no models where the exact same guitar is offered with both options. Then you have to pile lots of other factors on top of it, because most of the time the same basic model has different neck types, it is usually the lower cost versions are given bolt-ons, in order to save money on lower end models.

It's just a matter of preference as to what you think feels and sounds more comfortable.

Really, unless you are debating on what to do on a custom, it isn't much of a deciding factor. Rarely are you going to see a situation where you are choosing between fairly equivalent guitars and have the options of neck through or bolt on (pretty much Jackson is the only one I can think of where that happens with equivalent quality, stock guitars). A strat doesn't just sound like a strat because of the neck type, it sounds that way because of the neck scale, the pick-ups, the body wood, etc, the neck type contributes, but it isn't the sole thing that makes it sound the way it does.

If you like the feel of one type or the other, you are probably going to be focusing on brands that specialize in that neck type anyways.
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 12:45 PM

I generally go by the neck of a guitar when choosing a guitar; the feel, not the attachment to the bridge. That's the thing you need to live with and be happy with. You can get more sustain than anyone really needs with EMGs or a sustainer, and since I play mostly single note doodling anyway the sustain thing is mostly irrelevant to me. Mahogany or maple, solid body vs semi-hollow or straight hollow, round wound vs flatwound, all of these are a much bigger deal than neck through or bolt on. To me, anyway. Of my three favorite guitars, one is bolt, one is through, and one is glued.
Wood is wood, each piece is different (thankfully!).
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 11:49 AM

Reviews: 1

After playing Bolt-on necks for 25 + years I have just purchased a neck through RGT320z . It's a beautiful guitar but I was a bit surprised at the tone. (by tone I mean the sound coming off the board without any amplification) The guitar has a mahogany body so I was expexting a mahogany tone, Well it doesnt have a mahogany tone, it sounds more like ash, and this is the reason (coming from Rich @ Ibanezrules and it makes perfect sense); The bridge is mounted in the neck through piece of the guitar which is maple and the guitar gets 90% of its tone from the materiel the bridge is mounted in, a bit of tone will come from an inch or so either side but not much.

But the guitar plays beautifully and feel lovely especially in the upper registers. I am still working on an amplified tone and I could use some advice from anyone out there who uses a neck through, I just want to tame it a bit. I love the cut but I would like it to be a bit warmer. I may have to switch amp in the end, I have been using a Mesa MkIV for he past 7-8 years and anyone who has had one of those knows that warm it aint ...

Scott
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 PM

Another disadvantage is that most companies apply the finish to the back of the neck. I prefer a satin or tung finish for the neck, most finishes are rather sticky.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 12:28 PM

It's all in the mind. Play what feels and sounds good to you, who cares if it's bolt-on, neck-through, Ibanez, Gibson, Fender, fixed bridge, floating trem, IBZ, DiMarzio or Duncans, so long as it gets you where you want to go. Just my 2 cents

Rock on!
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:59 AM

Reviews: 2

Yes that is clearly true. But there are advantages and disadvantages of certian specs and there is nothing wrong with asking about them. Knowing them can help you narrow down the list of things to look out. Like a short list to try out when you gone to the store. I know it is sacrilege to say but we don't really have the time to spend half an hour trying out every guitar in every music store in town.

Plus there is that whole ordering online thing.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:08 AM

Yeah, but you also get the situation where someone plays a neck through, and then expects all other neck throughs to sound and feel the same. Each guitar is different(even among different guitars of the same model imho), and ordering a guitar based on the preferences of others is a lucky dip at best.

I'm not trying to be an arse, just saying that alot of the "advantages" of neck through that people have listed so far are really more like "preferences" imho.

Rock on!
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal4Ever View Post

I'm not trying to be an arse, just saying that alot of the "advantages" of neck through that people have listed so far are really more like "preferences" imho.

Rock on!
Don't worry about seeming to be an arse!!! what you've said cannot be stated enough!!!

There is indeed a big difference between advantage and preference
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:15 PM

To bring back this old thread, I have this to say:

Why is it that people that feel a Les Paul is superior when it's not a bolt-on and won't call a bolt-on version a cheapo version, are more than willing to whip out a lot of cash for an American Strat with its bolt-on neck? I find this very unfair to Gibsons and similar makers. Even Fender has made non-bolt-on guitars but it's uncommon. It's cheaper to make a bolt-on guitar. It's as if Fender can get away with it but not their competition.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:28 PM

Reviews: 2

Well,,,I sold my USA Jackson SL2H soloist last year. It was neck through and sounded awesome, but the neck was thick, round, painted, and it was totally uncomfortable compared to the Ibanez necks. Now, I'd really like to try a neck thru wizard neck.
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
Well,,,I sold my USA Jackson SL2H soloist last year. It was neck through and sounded awesome, but the neck was thick, round, painted, and it was totally uncomfortable compared to the Ibanez necks. Now, I'd really like to try a neck thru wizard neck.
Yes, the Wizard 2 neck is my favorite neck. For my fingers it is the most comfortable to play and it seems a lot of people share our opinion on that. Like a guy just told me over the phone just a few days ago. You can have several expensive guitars that you love and won't sell because of their beauty, sound and how expensive they are but they will just sit there because the neck size, width, curve, etc, doesn't fit your hands like a cheaper guitar does.

That's so true. You then start looking for an expensive, quality guitar with the same size and type of neck.

Tags
amp settings , floating bridges , fret access , neck scale , upper fret , upper fret access , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode