Advantages of a Neck Thru guitar? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:47 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Advantages of a Neck Thru guitar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchfan6 View Post
Well,,,I sold my USA Jackson SL2H soloist last year. It was neck through and sounded awesome, but the neck was thick, round, painted, and it was totally uncomfortable compared to the Ibanez necks. Now, I'd really like to try a neck thru wizard neck.
Like this??........LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Reviews: 2

Yes........very nice.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 PM

I have come to the conclusion over time that a bolt on neck is a superior design. More adjustability,(many ways) they are replaceable, can be easily paired with other tone woods with the body. I own all three types of guitar, they all work, but if you really want to get right down to it, that's what I think. And really glue in is the cheapest way to build a guitar, the glue costs less that the screws and neck plate.

Bolt on is still a strong type of joint as well. Don't believe me, go outside with a bolt on guitar and beat it on the ground a couple times. It's stronger than you think. I have done it. The neck will usually break somewhere else before the screws come out...
post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:21 PM

The resonance gets weaker the more closer to the headstock, just stum the guitar and touch the headstock and then body-quickly one can realize there lots more resonance (rumble) on the first frets compared to the body.

Funny actually we change or modify bridges for tone but usually forget there is also another end of the string

So I guess the main concern with neck thru is to eliminate this as much as you can by "sharing" the resonance through body and neck.

One solution is if you don't have a nack-thru but want the tone is the place weight on headstock, similar to idea of brass block upgrade used on floydrose trem.s.

The link shared a picture where satriani used something like that. A brass plate can be cut to shape of headstock so this upgrade can be almost invisible.
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post
The resonance gets weaker the more closer to the headstock, just stum the guitar and touch the headstock and then body-quickly one can realize there lots more resonance (rumble) on the first frets compared to the body.

Funny actually we change or modify bridges for tone but usually forget there is also another end of the string

So I guess the main concern with neck thru is to eliminate this as much as you can by "sharing" the resonance through body and neck.

One solution is if you don't have a nack-thru but want the tone is the place weight on headstock, similar to idea of brass block upgrade used on floydrose trem.s.

The link shared a picture where satriani used something like that. A brass plate can be cut to shape of headstock so this upgrade can be almost invisible.
The solution to the problem of a resonant headstock is a volute on the neck to stiffen the transition point from nut to headstock. Manufacturing takes a lot of wood away from that area to insteall the nut, the screws for the nut, and the truss rod.

This is a major reason products like the Groove Tubes Fat Finger get mixed reviews. They work great on a strat or a Tele, because the headstock isn't angled and isn't a seperate piece of wood, on top of not having a volute and the distribution of force is changed by the string trees.

On guitars that have properly designed headstocks, with a volute and a decent break angle on the strings, very much less energy is actually transferred into the headstock and so a Fat Finger doesn't work anywhere near as effectively, because it counteracts resonance by adding mass (And thus you end up with the same amount of energy in the string, trying to move a larger mass in the headstock, and basic physics tells us this is more difficult than moving less mass. The result is less headstock movement, and that energy has to go somewhere, so it simply remains in the string, where it can be reliably converted into kinetic energy through vibration)

So yes, making a headstock larger can improve sustain. But not because thats the technically correct way to improve sustain. More can be achieved, and more reliably, with less variance from different pieces of wood, by simply designing properly.

(This is also a reason I don't like a lot of ibanez necks. Wizards with no volute don't just fit my hand badly, they rob sustain since there's an absolute minimum of material at the weakest point of the guitar neck, and that means bad **** goes down in terms of reliability, tone, and sustain. For some shredders, thats no big deal because it can be counteracted by using a metric ****ton of gain, which compresses the sound and makes it sustain longer at a given level.)

As far as neck through goes, the principle is that if you have one piece of wood, there are no glue joints or screws through which energy can be dissipated unnecessarily, and thus we remove another possible point through which our vibrating string can be robbed of vibration. Its nothing to do with feeding resonance "back" into a string, and everything to do with making sure the energy stays where it should be in the first place.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Thanks, you described what I meant way better than me and my poor english
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 PM

There's also that side adjusted trussrod thing that warmoth do. Because its adjusted at the heel of the neck, its both easy to get to (compared to old strat style truss rods, wheere you had to remove the neck), and it also means you don't have to drill or route material away from the headstock.

The result is a stronger joint at the headstock, which helps with this.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannydingo View Post
To bring back this old thread, I have this to say:

Why is it that people that feel a Les Paul is superior when it's not a bolt-on and won't call a bolt-on version a cheapo version, are more than willing to whip out a lot of cash for an American Strat with its bolt-on neck? I find this very unfair to Gibsons and similar makers. Even Fender has made non-bolt-on guitars but it's uncommon. It's cheaper to make a bolt-on guitar. It's as if Fender can get away with it but not their competition.
Heck, even Les Pauls are not neck through construction. They are set neck (neck just glued to body). A set neck guitar probably costs more to make than a bolt on, but its got to be cheaper than a neck thru. IDK... just thinking out loud
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertay View Post

There have been experiments done with this years ago... they used to put slugs in the headstock of acoustic guitars, trying to force the vibration into the body where the sound comes from.

I personally think dampening the vibration of the headstock on an electric kills the tone, and sustain... the smaller the headstock the better. The solid body is only going to resonate so much.

Different types and densities of wood effect (affect?) the tone of a guitar by either enhancing or cancelling certain frequencies of the vibrating strings. A neck through will have the sound characteristic of the the neck wood only for the most part. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is another limitation of that design.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM

Hiya, sorry if my posting etiquette is off but this is my first one:
Regarding the comments on a larger headstock or adding brass weights, perhaps there is something in that: just try strumming your unplugged guitar when the tip of the headstock is touching something big and solid - furniture, a door, the wall etc - instant volume, sustain and 'aliveness' boost.
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_alpha View Post
Hiya, sorry if my posting etiquette is off but this is my first one:
Regarding the comments on a larger headstock or adding brass weights, perhaps there is something in that: just try strumming your unplugged guitar when the tip of the headstock is touching something big and solid - furniture, a door, the wall etc - instant volume, sustain and 'aliveness' boost.
Thats not the same thing. In that instance you're transferring vibration to a large surface area which acts as a sort of kinetically linked speaker membrane.

Tags
amp settings , floating bridges , fret access , neck scale , upper fret , upper fret access , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode