Advice on new guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Advice on new guitar

I'm thinking of buying a second guitar for drop tuning and active pick ups.. Preferably between below $600ish since I'm not from the US and guitars cost 30% more here.. what are your suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:50 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Advice on new guitar

what guitar do you already have, and what do you want to play on the new one? Do you need a trem or do you want a hardtail?

Welcome to Jemsite!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Well I have an RG1570. Considering I'd use it for drop tuning and stuff, I was wondering if a hardtail would be the best choice..
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 06:29 AM

Reviews: 19

ESP.
Explorer,
Eclise
Horizon
best bet Mirage MII
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:55 AM

probably the ibanez mick thomson signature, considering He uses active pickups AND downtunes. if ur buying a non ibanez guitar, then probably an extended scale schecter/ESP.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I thought about a Schecter or probably a used Ibanez S if I can find a good deal.

What advice could you give on acoustic guitars? Something that I can set with reasonably low action (considering it's an acoustic) and with a neck that feels like an electric (by this I mean that it shouldnt have a really fat/wide neck).

By the way, happy new year
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 AM

For an electric I would be very tempted to look at the RG321E w/fixed Gibraltar Standard bridge and non-active EMG's. The pups can be switched to actives at any time:

[img]http://*****************.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/eg/products/test/RG321EWH.gif[/img]

Or the RGA42FM that has the same bridge but active Ibanez LZ pups.

[img]http://*****************.com/resourceservicehost/images/Ibanez/web/eg/products/RGA42FMTGB.gif[/img]

For acoustics, the only one's I know of that are close to the feel of an electric are the Joe Satriani JSA's and the Steve Vai Euphoria's. The specs on these necks are VERY close to that of an electric.

http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/Series-jsa

http://www.ibanez.com/AcousticGuitars/Series-EP
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:32 PM

for acoustics, you could probably try the fender kingman. i have that, and while it is a dreadnought, its actually great- call me crazy, but i chose it over a taylor. Otherwise, one of those Ovation acoustics.
the kingman costs 600 dollars new, i dunno about the ovation.
and happy new year
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 01:42 PM

I found an Ibanez GAX70 for $60 bucks. The neck is fast, I down tune all my stings from one to two steps. Sure it needs a pickup upgrade but if it is in good condition you can get away with just that as everything else is pretty well up to par. Its not set up for active pups though, you'd have to have a battery cavity drilled or routed into it. Also Deans are well equipped for downtuning and are usually a little cheaper.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

I'm looking into the Joe Satriani model. I havent heard many good things about Ibanez acoustics but I'm already looking for more feedback about them.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM

How about an RGD model?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode