Advice on new pickups! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Advice on new pickups!

Hello. I am an avid Ibanez owner.

I have a stock RG321MH, that I am wanting to try to get close to the famous David Gilmour tone.

Has the two stock humbucker INF3 and 4 in it at the moment.

I will be playing into a Fender Blues Deville 212 with pedals.

All of my ibanez's are set up with very low action but with this one I would like the challenge of doing something different with it and thought I would start with the pickups.

I have changed pickups on tons of other guitars but I have always played the fast heavy stuff and knew exactly what i was looking for. Now I am deciding to slow things down a bit but i am not willing to give up my Ibanez's lol to get a specific tone I am looking for so I am really at a loss.

With just the two humbucker slots I know my choices may be limited, but thought I would seek advice any how.

Thanks

Scott!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM

Re: Advice on new pickups!

Whatever you decide, It would be a good idea to coil tap to get the tone you are going for.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM

Re: Advice on new pickups!

If you get a sufficiently strong enough humbucker, a split coil may have enough of the characteristic to make the guitar work.

My current LTD Viper 301 has two relatively strong enough ceramic, passive humbuckers (EMG HZ 1 model) and when split, they get a good single coil tone. The humbucker tone is a little oversaturated and lacks the definition of vintage passive humbuckers like the Seth Lover PAFs especially on an all mahogany guitar with rosewood fretboard.

Therefore, I only play this guitar in split coil mode and I don't find I am lacking in any power. I pretty much treat it like any strat and it works like them with high end and percussive attack.

But if you have a Seth Lover PAF, or reissue, as I had one of each in my old guitar, splitting them leaves an underpowered, weak signal too anemic for lead guitar work.

Gilmour loved the emg SA single coil and that has a lot of balls so make sure your split humbucker is at least a Duncan Distortion or DiMarzio EVO or in that medium high to high output range.

Sometimes however you can have the least Gilmour like setup with guitar and pickups yet still get his sound, so check this out: (Part of the trick around 0.38 and 1:30 is the pick attack where the very tip attack with more percussion can make the lead humbucker pickup sound quite a bit like a stratocaster). There's no mud or growl and while it's not easy to do with distortion on a humbucker, it's still possible as this master shows us. If you can get that tone with an SG, which as a model is closely associated with AC/DC, then your metal related RG can tone it down too and get that classic rock Gilmour tone. Gilmour himself uses vintage Fender pickups as well as the hot and midrange induced EMG signature set and while both very different, he still gets his certain sound.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=NVPFVR

Here's a different attack, but still the Gilmour sound, and on an RG:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...=0&FORM=NVPFVR

I like the attack of the early part of the solo on the first video and the latter parts of the solo from the second video. Also what both players wisely employ is the deep left hand tremolo technique to get that Gilmour like expression. The secret is how both end the Gilmour phrases which lends to that signature. I don't know if you know that but sometimes those tips help more than the actual pickups themselves.

Last edited by 63Blazer; 03-01-2013 at 03:06 PM.

Tags
pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode