Advice please - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Advice please

Ok, so I have an RG2020X. The problem is, it seems to me like its way harder then it should be to fret notes. Ive gotten it professinally setup, and it helped a lot, but its still not up to my expectations of what this guitar should play like. Is there anything you guys can say? My friends 02 RG570 outplays this by quite a bit, and thats not really an understatement. I know there will be differences because of the thinner neck, but i mean come on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 10:13 AM

You'll need to give us some more information here. What's the trem angle like, what is your action (in mm at the 1st, 7th, 12th and 24th frets) what gauge strings are you using, how many trem springs are in the guitar. Is there any forward or back bow in the neck or is it dead flat.

These guitars are pretty tricky to get set up until you learn some tricks and get used to doing it. I REALLY suggest that you learn to do it yourself. Only you know how you want your guitars set up, so you're the best one to do it right. Plus it's much cheaper and saves time.

So go to the guitars section of the main jemsite website and click on the setup section. The guitars being set up in that section are Jems but it's same same. If you walk through that step by step you should be fine. It takes a long time at first, so don't start at mid-night, and be very patient with yourself. Your fighting tensions all over the guitar and each little move in one area causes a reaction somewhere else....it's tricky to get in balance. But once you do, it's pretty much done.

Also check out Rich's tutorial at ibanezrules.com (banner above). He's got a great area dedicated to cleaning and set up.

I will caution you in one area though. Rich's advice on trem removal for neck adjustments (shimming the neck pocket) is great and I do it all the time, however I would caution against that with the piezo trem unless you are exceedingly careful.

I like the bottle cap method for maintaining pressure on the trem and I think Rich has that one on his site as well. He takes two 2-liter sized plastic screw on caps and a decently thick piece of something with some padding to it and uses that to keep the trem from dropping down inside the cavity due to lack of string pull (cuz the strings are off the guitar). This works like a charm.

If you really get fed up with it, just PM me and I'll see if I can be of more help...although it's tough without having the guitar in front of me. Another option is to just let me know and I'll buy that sucker off of you and rid you of your problems.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 11:02 AM

with the risk of sounding obvious...did you also check the actual string gauge?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 11:07 AM

Where in the world are you, and who set up your guitar? Just because someone charges a fee to setup guitars doesn't mean they know that they're doing.

jim
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Im in Tucson, AZ. I took it to a shop called Bevins. It's much better then it was when I first got it, but still not to my expectations of what I think this guitar should be playing like. I use 9s, generally 9-46. The relief and action should be pretty good. There are 4 springs.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Vendor

4 springs is going to make the guitar feel much stiffer to play that 3 will. New springs will feel stiffer than old springs. Higher tension set of strings... ditto.

If you're comparring compare apples to apples.
Rich is online  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 10:45 PM

A properly set up 2020x should play like butter. The bigger neck should give you more leverage than a wizard neck and make fretting easier.Unless of course you have really small hands.

Have you measured the string action? Is it the same as your friend's guitar or higher/lower ?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Its a little bit higher, but any lower and it starts to buzz like crazy.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

bump, help please
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 11:26 PM

Assuming tht the guitar is set up properly, you might find the other guitar easier to play due to a wider and flatter fret material. Some of the older RG's from the 80's had some wide frets and after a grind or two, would have a really flat crown instead of what a proper crown should be.Playing on frets like those would give a bit of a scalloped feel

Since your friend's guitar is not ver old, I imagine that it has similar Japanese fretwire to your 2020. I have a 2020 tht I bought from Rich and a 2120x with stainless wire and they both play very well and can maintain very low action.

I would try comparing string action to yoru friend's guitar. See if oyu can find a set of feeler gauges and take some readings from both guitars and compare.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Ok So here is what ive done. I read on Rich's guide about neck shimming, and I figured mine could use one. This is because the bridge was almost bottoming out, and the action was still fairly high. I used printer paper, 6 folds. I see now that this was a little much, 4 folds probably would have been perfect. Anyway, now the action is SUPER low, and there is absolutely ZERO resistance to fretting. It is quite a bit buzzy, and sounds horrible on the piezo because of it, but im leaving it like this for now (because the bridge is already so far out of the body, I need to cut down the shim). I also am now using 3 trem springs.

Tags
gauge strings , neck shim , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode