Advice on Premium or Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 10
Advice on Premium or Prestige

Hey all, for a short time I have been giving guitarlessons. Now I don't have any guitars in standard tuning with a decent inlay, so now I want to buy an Ibanez Premium or higher.

Now was my question, would you guys say Premium is good enough, or do I really need Prestige for good, high quality guitars?

I'm in doubt between the RG821 and the RG3521. I don't want a tremolo, but I've heard a lot of bad things about the CAP-pickups from Ibanez. The money is no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:42 PM

Re: Advice on Premium or Prestige

There are several threads on Jemsite already in which the pros and cons of Premium/Prestige are discussed. Give those a read and you'll have a better perspective.

Is the guitar you're buying going to be for your students, or for you? If it's for students, the RG821 would probably be just fine. If it's for you, and money is no object, I'd buy the Prestige.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 02:44 PM

I had one premium in my hands the other day at a music store and it was really sweet. Don't see the need for prestige.
post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:27 PM

Reviews: 2

Premiums are based on J custom quality....now before you all flame me, im not saying that they are J Custom, you do however get alot of MIJ freatures for a decent price...they do this by selling these with gigbags instead of hardcases and using figured wood veneers instead of 4mm tops....NICE guitars...again they are PREMIUM...not Prestige, not J Custom, but PREMIUM.

Last edited by craigny; 03-28-2012 at 03:32 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 05:57 PM

Have been playing guitar for twenty years.
Have Japanese 2 RG's, they are very very fine guitars.
A couple weeks ago bought an RG premium....it is even better....
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 PM

Have a shot on both, try them out. Which ever one ticks all "YOUR" boxes is the guitar for you. I had a Jackson DK2M (japanese) a while back and tried a Jem. Although the Jem was very nice and all that, I perefered the £400 Jackson. Just felt right for me. The Jem felt big and chunky for some reason, Maybe I just needed to grow into it I dunno. In the end I sold the Jackson because the 24 frets just werent for me. The good thing about Ibanez is there variety.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Okay, thanks guys, I think I'll just get the pickups swapped out and buy the Premium. I've played one and the neck feels so much better than normal RGs. Slightly thinner but also rounder, which is more comfortable.

Thinking of putting DiMarzio D-Activators in it. Anyone pro? Anyone against? Tips?
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJGB View Post
Okay, thanks guys, I think I'll just get the pickups swapped out and buy the Premium. I've played one and the neck feels so much better than normal RGs. Slightly thinner but also rounder, which is more comfortable.

Thinking of putting DiMarzio D-Activators in it. Anyone pro? Anyone against? Tips?
Dont dismiss the Dimarzio IBZ's right off the bat. they are good pickups.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigny View Post
Dont dismiss the Dimarzio IBZ's right off the bat. they are good pickups.
Unfortunately, in Europe they come with the CAP pickups.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 08:43 PM

Have a prestige and a premium, like the premium more. Plays better and sounds better. Not saying that the prestige is bad, the premium is just better IMHO.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Reviews: 21

I've played both and the Prestige is still better. If you tell me an RG821 is better than an RG3521 I'd find it hard to believe - unless Prestige quality has really gone in the tank.
Premium are good but there's a reason they're priced where they are. If Premiums were the same or better quality than a Prestige then why bother selling Prestige guitars for several hundred more dollars for an "identical" or "inferior" model?
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geiri View Post
Have a prestige and a premium, like the premium more. Plays better and sounds better. Not saying that the prestige is bad, the premium is just better IMHO.
And WHICH Prestige do you have that you've compared to the Premium?
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
The prestige in question is the 1451. But don't misunderstand me, the 1451 is a stellar guitar with tone zone air zone pups. But I don't know I somehow find the premium to play a little better and I think I prefer the premium neck. But the difference is very small and I fall in love with each one when I'm playing it. Mabe it's just the honeymoon stage but the premium seems to be the one I choose to play a little more.

And given the fact that these are similarly priced guitars the premium wins hands down.

Love 'em both tho and plan on adding more prestiges and premiums to my collection.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post

There is another factor that comes into play. My premium is the european version and has the cap pups from ibanez. They sound really good and to my ears better then the dimarzio in the 1451. They are very clear and articulate, have a slightly less output then the dm. In the overall sound trough my gear they just well sound better or more clear but still with enough output for metal and they clean up really well also when volume is rolled off on the guitar.

I'm using a mesa rectoverb combo and a boss gt 10 in 4 cable method.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM

Reviews: 39

I really really like the premiums. Having now played all the new 25ths on several amps against my own, I can say that the neck/fret quality is right there with my late MIJ 550 neck on my 470 (and while my MIJ rosewood is very very dark, I can't tell how stained the Premiums are just yet, but they all appear very very dark, lending well to their tone). The pickups are good, but you can pick and choose things you like or dislike about them the same as the V7/V8's. In the end, the Dimarzios in my Prestige sound the best, and it's quality as an instrument seems more "perfect" or "complete" (however, my PGM is also a much higher tier guitar - and it shows!). I'd say though, a pickup change in the premiums would make all the big difference; they are awesome guitars and gorgeous to boot.

Tags
ibanez , lolboobies , premium , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode