Advice on Prestige models - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Advice on Prestige models

Hey guys this is my first post, ive ended up here after a disaster buying a new guitar.

Ive played a white ibanez prestige with gold hardware for 6 years now, and it has THEE thinnest neck ive ever found on any guitar. Could someone please help me to identify which model it is, and what neck is on it?

On the back of the head it says FO332701 Ibanez Prestige

The reason i ask this, is because i decided to buy a new guitar 6 weeks ago.
I wanted to try a different brand, so i got a Jackson DK2m. Big mistake, sounded like a toy compared to the ibanez. Sold on.

Then i bought an Ibanez RG2610e . Im very pleased with the guitar , but once again disaster strikes. I went to fit an EMG 81 , my favourite lead pickup , but the recess isnt deep enough to house it and give string clearance.

Meaning i have to stick with the Seymour Duncan Full Shred that was in it. The neck on this guitar is also much much larger than what im used to , i find it a bit of a high ruiner to play on , so im considering buyign a new neck for it - thats why i want to know the model of the neck on my white prestige.

Any help atall would be totally great dudes!

www.myspace.com/almightyexcalibur

Last edited by Shredragrammaton; 05-10-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: extra info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:10 PM

Re: Advice on Prestige models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredragrammaton View Post
Then i bought an Ibanez RG2610e . Im very pleased with the guitar , but once again disaster strikes. I went to fit an EMG 81 , my favourite lead pickup , but the recess isnt deep enough to house it and give string clearance.
Maybe someone can answer this decisively but can't you just route it out to make it (EMG 81) fit?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Did you get rid of the foam that sits inside the cavity?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Im considering getting it routed out now for the emg ...

Yes i took the foam out lol.

Anyone any idea about what model the white prestige is ?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:25 PM

Looks like an RG1550GXWB. If you go to www.ibanezregister.com you can find pics of it there. (at the top left, click on "The Old Gallery" and then click on "Guitars") It has a Wizard Prestige neck. But all necks labeled Wizard Prestige aren't alike in dimensions/feel. The RGA has a Wizard Prestige but it feels much different than the RG2610 like you said. And I played a new RG2550Z the other day and it has a Wizard Prestige but is quite different than my RGA neck as well. Different frets too. The 2610 is 18mm and 20mm thick. Maybe your 1550 is 17mm and 19mm? Those are typically called "Super Wizard" necks though. The new J.Customs have them.

As far as the EMG pickup, you would just need to route out the cavity to make it fit. Or maybe try the newer DiMarzio actives that are shorter?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:33 AM

Did you try the SD Blackout? Perhaps this fits and gives you the sound you want. Cheaper than finding a new neck/routing the body...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

"Maybe your 1550 is 17mm and 19mm"

thats the info i need bro , cheers man. I think that RG1550GXWB is it -

Ive decided to buy a replacement neck for my prestige 2610e , is 17mm and 19mm "super wizard" definately the thinnest neck available ?
Whereabouts could i buy one of these necks? E b.a.y seems pretty sparse at the moment
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzedout View Post
Did you try the SD Blackout? Perhaps this fits and gives you the sound you want. Cheaper than finding a new neck/routing the body...

It's about the same size as the EMG.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Im considering getting it routed out now for the emg ...
I believe you need to get it routed. I believe Matt Bachand had to do the same thing with his RGA's, before he had his own sig models.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
"Maybe your 1550 is 17mm and 19mm"

thats the info i need bro , cheers man. I think that RG1550GXWB is it -

Ive decided to buy a replacement neck for my prestige 2610e , is 17mm and 19mm "super wizard" definately the thinnest neck available ?
Whereabouts could i buy one of these necks? E b.a.y seems pretty sparse at the moment
The super wizard is the thinnest one I know of. If you want to buy one, try Rich Harris at Ibanez Rules (there is a banner at the top of the page). He would likely know where (if) you can buy one somewhere other than the bay.

Tags
seymour duncan , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode