Advice Welcom On RG350DX vs. RG450DX - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Advice Welcome On RG350DX vs. RG450DX

Hi guys, new here. Also (relatively) new to playing. Here is my dilemma.

In 2009, I bought a new RG350DX. It comes w/ a Wizard II neck and the Edge 3 Tremolo. I had played it for about 5 months, but then got away from it due to various personal circumstances (I know, REALLY, REALLY STUPID - this time around I'm sticking with it for good).

Anyway, flash-forward to last week. I decided I'd start practicing again, whipped out the ol' axe, and had begun to do just that. I soon found myself on the Ibanez website (not to mention Guitar Center and Musician's Friend) and I see that the 350DX has been replaced by the 450DX. Additionally, the new 450 model has a Wizard III neck, and the Edge-Zero II Trem.

When I was practicing w/ the 350, I did find that I had to tune it at least once a week, and if I was playing around w/ the whammy bar, I had to tune it even more frequently.

Word has it that, the new Edge-Zero II tremolo is a far better tremolo, and I've seen a lot of commentary on the web that says it stays in tune regardless of tremolo or heavy use. I'm not saying no one w/ this rig never has to tune their guitar (that's ludicrous), but that it stays tuned for a munch longer time than the Edge 3 trem system.

My question is, is it worth it to upgrade, or am I just splitting hairs?

Any help, thoughts, or financial donations (just joking) is greatly appreciated.

- Fletch The Wretch

Last edited by Fletch The Wretch; 04-19-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:58 PM

Re: Advice Welcom On RG350DX vs. RG450DX

I personally think if you really want to up the ante you should go for a used prestige... Dosen't matter if it's equipped with Edge, lo pro edge, Edge Pro or the Edge Zero. They'll all make a major difference to what you have now.
The prestige line is truly superb on every plane.

Going for a new 450.. well perhaps the trem is better but not the rest of the guitar. Just my opinion.

But what's the rush? Play with what you have for now and see if the guitar is holding you back after a while?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskil View Post
I personally think if you really want to up the ante you should go for a used prestige... Dosen't matter if it's equipped with Edge, lo pro edge, Edge Pro or the Edge Zero. They'll all make a major difference to what you have now.
The prestige line is truly superb on every plane.

Going for a new 450.. well perhaps the trem is better but not the rest of the guitar. Just my opinion.

But what's the rush? Play with what you have for now and see if the guitar is holding you back after a while?
Thanks for the input & advice, Eskil! Yeah, I'm not really in any hurry to make a purchase, and like you said to stick w/ my current 350DX, time will tell.

Not too sure about the Prestige line, a little pricey (and I do not favor buying used).

They are sweet axes though, now I've got my eye on them, perhaps I can find one that is not too much or a new one from a previous year that no one bought.

Thanks again Eskil, much appreciated!
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 04:18 PM

Once you go prestige (or MIJ) you'll never go back =)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:34 PM

I have had both tremolos and I think the Edge Zero II is much more stable... But you might also check around for lightly used MIJ RG's with an Edge. Might be around the same price for a well made guitar w/better tremolo and pickups. The 450's a pretty solid guitar though!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Once you go prestige (or MIJ) you'll never go back =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I have had both tremolos and I think the Edge Zero II is much more stable... But you might also check around for lightly used MIJ RG's with an Edge. Might be around the same price for a well made guitar w/better tremolo and pickups. The 450's a pretty solid guitar though!
Hey guys, I really appreciate the feedback, it makes me feel welcome here, and yes FireEagle, the 450 is a solid unit for sure, and @ $400, you really can't go wrong (roughly translated...I'm on a budget, lol).

By the way, what is an "MIJ" RG?

Anyone else feel free to chime in.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 09:17 AM

MIJ = Made In Japan

Older Ibanez guitar doesn't have the prestige logo (which is made in Japan as well as the J-Custom (of course!))

Therefore you have to check if the guitar is made in japan...

For instance old RG starting at 450 and above are MIJ

But the 550-570 (750-770) of old are comparable to todays prestige line, of course there's some differences like the trem, Square heel och All Access Neck Joint (AANJ) and the huge hick-up for many... The newer prestige guitars are whopping 2 mm wider at the 24 fret
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
MIJ = Made In Japan

Older Ibanez guitar doesn't have the prestige logo (which is made in Japan as well as the J-Custom (of course!))

Therefore you have to check if the guitar is made in japan...

For instance old RG starting at 450 and above are MIJ

But the 550-570 (750-770) of old are comparable to todays prestige line, of course there's some differences like the trem, Square heel och All Access Neck Joint (AANJ) and the huge hick-up for many... The newer prestige guitars are whopping 2 mm wider at the 24 fret
Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification! Anybody here ever looked into JamPlay.com? I'm teaching myself how to read music (as well as tab), but I was thinking it might be beneficial to take some online lessons (real lessons are rather expensive these days), and it seems like it might be a good place to get lessons.

Eskil, I have a question for you. When I go to YouTube and see people playing Steve Vai tunes or Satch tunes, they have all the music but the lead guitar, and they play along with it. Where does one get tracks that don't have the lead guitar in it? I'm very curious, so if you check back on this thread, lemme know! Thanks again for the advice and input!!!

- FTW.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch The Wretch View Post
(and I do not favor buying used).
Biggest mistake ever. I bought my first used guitar, an RG550CA. Then about 2 weeks later, another used guitar, an RG560PN. Then my RG685, then an RGR580M. These are solid workhorse guitars and were taken very good care of by the previous owners. I also have 2 prestiges, and an MIJ Roadcore (I guess it would be considered prestige); these I bought new.

Point being, as long as you know how to set up your guitar and know what to look for when buying used, you won't have any problems. You may also find something cool and rare that most people would kill for (I know a few people here who would kill me for my 580 and 685 )

Even when I bought my player's condition 550 (I sold it some time ago), while it had a fairly dirty maple fretboard, it played GREAT. I just didn't like a few things about it and my 560 was in far better condition than it. Nothing wrong playability wise with the 550 though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Biggest mistake ever. I bought my first used guitar, an RG550CA. Then about 2 weeks later, another used guitar, an RG560PN. Then my RG685, then an RGR580M. These are solid workhorse guitars and were taken very good care of by the previous owners. I also have 2 prestiges, and an MIJ Roadcore (I guess it would be considered prestige); these I bought new.

Point being, as long as you know how to set up your guitar and know what to look for when buying used, you won't have any problems. You may also find something cool and rare that most people would kill for (I know a few people here who would kill me for my 580 and 685 )

Even when I bought my player's condition 550 (I sold it some time ago), while it had a fairly dirty maple fretboard, it played GREAT. I just didn't like a few things about it and my 560 was in far better condition than it. Nothing wrong playability wise with the 550 though.
Unfortunately, I don't have the slightest clue as to how to set up my guitar, especially when it comes to lowering the action as close to the frets as possible w/out string buzz. I'm pretty sure that as I stick with practicing and finally playing something, I'll have more knowledge and feel more confident about working on my axe on my own. Being inexperienced as I am, "hidden" damage to a guitar would be my biggest concern. I read in another forum of a guy who bought a used guitar from a person as opposed to a store, and it turns out that the truss rod was stripped out (or something to that effect), so I don't know if that's the kind of damage that can be repaired or if he'd need a new neck or truss rod. This is the kind of thing that concerns me about used items, especially a guitar. Also, I like keeping my guitar's finish in pristine shape - no stickers, no scratches, etc.

Just my two cents on used items of any kind, ESPECIALLY ELECTRONICS -and guitars are just that ...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 12:37 PM

Yes, buying used can be good or bad. I bought a 1999 RG520QS from a guy in the classifieds on this site. Wonderful guitar... Super Wizard neck, made in Japan, Edge tremolo, original hardshell case... all for well under $400. I trusted the guy, saw the pictures, etc... and the guitar is immaculate, not a scratch or ding. Maybe I got lucky, but ever since then I have bought used guitars and gone for the higher quality instead of new. Sometimes a new guitar needs a setup too. After being made, shipped, stored, etc... you can likely expect to need an adjustment or two. If you order online you would have to take your guitar to a local shop, unless you want to learn how to do it yourself. If you buy a new guitar from a local shop, they will likely set it up for you at no charge and you can watch and learn. Just things to ponder... and don't be too afraid to learn the adjustments yourself. Here is a link to some excellent information - http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/ - some are so easy even a guitar player can do it...

The tracks you hear people jamming along with are called "backing tracks" or "jam tracks" most of the time. You can find these on youtube easily... Since I just play at home and don't really know many musicians where I live, I use backing tracks a LOT. Great fun and really helpful to practice to an actual song regarding timing. There are other sites, like www.guitarbackingtrack.com - but the quality is hit and miss.

Good luck!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, buying used can be good or bad. I bought a 1999 RG520QS from a guy in the classifieds on this site. Wonderful guitar... Super Wizard neck, made in Japan, Edge tremolo, original hardshell case... all for well under $400. I trusted the guy, saw the pictures, etc... and the guitar is immaculate, not a scratch or ding. Maybe I got lucky, but ever since then I have bought used guitars and gone for the higher quality instead of new. Sometimes a new guitar needs a setup too. After being made, shipped, stored, etc... you can likely expect to need an adjustment or two. If you order online you would have to take your guitar to a local shop, unless you want to learn how to do it yourself. If you buy a new guitar from a local shop, they will likely set it up for you at no charge and you can watch and learn. Just things to ponder... and don't be too afraid to learn the adjustments yourself. Here is a link to some excellent information - some are so easy even a guitar player can do it...

The tracks you hear people jamming along with are called "backing tracks" or "jam tracks" most of the time. You can find these on youtube easily... Since I just play at home and don't really know many musicians where I live, I use backing tracks a LOT. Great fun and really helpful to practice to an actual song regarding timing. There are other sites, like - but the quality is hit and miss.

Good luck!
Excellent FireEagle, thanks a bunch!!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 02:02 PM

I can recommend Guitar Pro 6. It's tablature editor with playback options, with multiple tracks. Say if you wan't to learn Holy Diver (we all want to) you just download the guitar pro tab and open it with Guitar Pro. Then you can chose to mute the lead guitar track and just follow the tab and play along with the rest of the tracks.

The sound is fair enough, and you can easily make your own backing tracks with it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:02 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Yes, buying used can be good or bad. I bought a 1999 RG520QS from a guy in the classifieds on this site. Wonderful guitar... Super Wizard neck, made in Japan, Edge tremolo, original hardshell case... all for well under $400. I trusted the guy, saw the pictures, etc... and the guitar is immaculate, not a scratch or ding. Maybe I got lucky, but ever since then I have bought used guitars and gone for the higher quality instead of new. Sometimes a new guitar needs a setup too. After being made, shipped, stored, etc... you can likely expect to need an adjustment or two. If you order online you would have to take your guitar to a local shop, unless you want to learn how to do it yourself. If you buy a new guitar from a local shop, they will likely set it up for you at no charge and you can watch and learn. Just things to ponder... and don't be too afraid to learn the adjustments yourself. Here is a link to some excellent information - http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/ - some are so easy even a guitar player can do it...

The tracks you hear people jamming along with are called "backing tracks" or "jam tracks" most of the time. You can find these on youtube easily... Since I just play at home and don't really know many musicians where I live, I use backing tracks a LOT. Great fun and really helpful to practice to an actual song regarding timing. There are other sites, like www.guitarbackingtrack.com - but the quality is hit and miss.

Good luck!
I couldn't agree more. For me, the only reason to buy a new guitar is if there's a new model out that I absolutely couldn't get in a used guitar. Used guitars typically offer far more bang for your buck. Admittedly, FireEagle got a KILLER deal on his 520. I haven't found any guitars for myself that were THAT cheap for such an amazing guitar, but I HAVE found guitars that were immaculate being sold by great guys for very good prices. The money saved can go a long way into mods, upgrades, pedals, amps, a new strap....... or, as in my case, pet food...... lots and lots of pet food....LOL

Anyway, my opinion regarding the differences between the 350 and the 450 is that they are both really good intermediate guitars. The WizardIII neck is the same thing as the Wiz-II. it's only slightly wider at the heel where the neck bolts to the body. Otherwise- "same-same". The Edge III is a pretty bad bridge because it doesn't have hardened knife edges ( the pivot point where the trem meets the studs). These softer knives inevitably deform and cause tuning issues as you've seen when playing with the bar. I doubt yours are bad though if you only have to tune once a week when not using the bar.

In my opinion, I'd stick with the 350 until the right guitar comes along for the right price. The 450 IS an upgrade, but you can get more for your money if you patient.

Most of us here are always happy to help someone find a great guitar and there are a TON of great guys selling in the "for sale" section. There are very few people in there that we don't know. It's highly unlikely that a regular member will try to screw someone with a garbage guitar here on Jemsite. They have a rep to try and uphold. If something perks your interest- talk to the seller and ask LOTS of questions here on the boards. For the most part- we're very familiar with the members AND their guitars.

Tags
rg350dx & rg450dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode