AFS77T project complete - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By JsXLine6
  • 1 Post By peromucho7
  • 1 Post By Mathurin Picard
  • 1 Post By peromucho7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

AFS77T project complete

took a long time to find an suitable example for this project. this particular model was only available 2 yrs. All laminated Maple construction in the fully hollow 2 5/8" deep body, 3pc Maple/Mahog/Maple neck.
first step was to remove all hardware and electronics. i then glued Rock Maple blocks to form a center block making this a semi-acoustic. I got the fine folks at Action Sound in Hawkins Tx to install a chrome bushing mounted Wilkinson roller bridge instead of the stock floating bridge. I chose the minimalist B11 Bigsby in polished aluminum to replace the stock trem. I replaced the stock machine heads with a chrome Gotoh 18.1 with cream Keystone knobs and made a new deco truss rod cover. I lucked out and found a set of OEM cream ACH humbucker mounting rings- these are next to impossible to find- to replace the stock black ones- the cream matches the binding. I had a custom wiring harness made up with CTS 525k pots and rare Hopkins Paper in Oil caps- .015 uF for the neck and .022 uF for the bridge and located new cream speed knobs. I found a supplier who had a 3ply cream/blk/cream pickguard material that I was told will "turn" to match the rest of the trim and made a different shape pickguard.
and the best for last- a genuine Gibson 57 Classic at the neck and an underwound 57 Classic + at the bridge.
strung with Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinkies .009-.042.

you can have your 335's- the material and build quality of this guitar was top shelf- just check out the inlay markers. and that nice slim 2 5/8" body is super comfortable. and with that center block you can push the 57's all you want with zero feedback.

and playing her through my 65 re-issue Princeton Reverb with a 12" Cannabis Rex speaker is pure pleasure.

Last edited by doctorunderhill; 01-22-2020 at 01:06 AM. Reason: additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 04:52 PM

Gorgeous!! What a peice!
doctorunderhill likes this.
JsXLine6 is online  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:24 AM

Re: AFS77T project complete

That is nice guitar.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 08:41 AM

I love the color!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

it's listed as MG metallic gray, but depending on the light it can appear from a silver to an almost olive tint. as you can tell from my photos the color shifts significantly. a chameleon finish.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:31 PM

Guitar is great looking but my favorite part are pickups and tone blocks. It must sound great.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

she plays and sounds just as nice as she looks. the Classic 57s tucked into that 2 5/8" laminated maple body are just amazing and the center block- made from the tightest grained rock maple I could acquire- let's you stuff as much signal as you want with no pesky feedback even sitting by the amp.
i'm 66 and have been playing since 1963- including some time in the 70's working in a Fender/Gibson dealership- and I have never picked up a guitar that sounds like this, or is even close to the playability of this guitar. and I can attest to the superb workmanship- the fit and finish on this far, far exceeds my 1996 ES-135 re-issue Gibson- they're not even close.
and I just love single cuts- I've always liked knowing-at least on set necks- that increased material on the pocket can provide a more solid neck joint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode