Agathis bodies - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: Agathis bodies

Scott, right on thanks man. Yeah chunky is a good word. Fishhead thanks I will check that site out.
~A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith

I remember when people dismissed basswood as a cheap alternative to alder. basswood and poplar both. I'm not a huge fan of poplar but basswood is good...
Poplar is my favourite. It's very predictable as far as pickup performance. I can usually guess what a pup is going to sound like going into Poplar... I can get as much chunk out of my Tele as any LP...
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 08:06 AM

The new Line 6 Variax 300 is made of it, which is fitting because the guitar is all modeled anyway; why worry about the tone of the wood?
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:04 AM

Warmoth also has a great page re: tone woods.
http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/option..._bodywoods.cfm

Oh yeah and Tom Anderson too:
http://www.andersonguitars.com/tonelibbody.cfm

I find wood to be one of the most important aspects of a guitar's sounds, mostly b/c unlike bridge, pickups, fretwire, tuners, etc., wood can't be changed. Wood and scale length you're stuck with.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2005, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyogi
Ok, slightly OT but that page says that the "bass" in "basswood" is pronounced like the fish. dictionary.com agrees with them. WTF? I've been pronouncing it "base wood" for like 20 years. What an idiot!
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 PM

ok, that's explains it!! I have a AX7221 and so surprise that its neck heavy and it claims that the body was made of mahogany, when I check the body, It looks like mahogany but wondering why its so light, so it might be made of agathis not mahogany.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 AM

Reviews: 6

Necro-bump!

Tags
alder bodies , alder body , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , fret board , guitar shop , ibanez guitars , les paul , les paul deluxe , les paul standard , mahogany body , maple fret , maple fret board , maple neck , maple necks , neck thru , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode