Agile making a 9-string??? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 18
Agile making a 9-string???

So I just went to Rondo Music's website to look at some 8-strings and something caught my eye. Under the categories '9-String Guitars' was were 8-String Guitars used to be. Nothing is up on the page yet, but what do you guys think of the idea of a 9-String? Do you think it'll be a bassier string or maybe a high A string?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 18
Re: Agile making a 9-string???

Found this, they are definitely making them!

http://www.rondomusic.com/photos/ele...d928mnnat1.jpg
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:26 PM

Reviews: 4

God that's horrid...
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrendel View Post
God that's horrid...
I can't agree more.... :/
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 PM

I'm holding out for double digits
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 04:02 PM

Uhhh yeah.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm waiting for the 24 string, 1 fret model.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I'm waiting for the 24 string, 1 fret model.
That will only come with EMGs though
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 02:43 PM

Reviews: 11

i wish they would censor out EMG like they do to evilbay on here. it would be so nice to not see people putting EMG's in their guitars just because they want to be as metal as possible. heres an idea, play metal on an Air Classic haha now THAT would be cool. and as for the 9 string, id buy one if the put the high A on there instead of a low D or whatever it would be haha im considering putting the high A on my 7 string and putting it in drop C.......
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 65

now the eight strings were already useless... nine ist just stupid.

emg should be banned.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 PM

Cool Re: Agile making a 9-string???

EMG makes a great product. It's not for everyone, but there's no denying it's abilities. It seems most Jemsiters are DiMarzio fan boys. Look at some of Petruccis DiMarzio ads with his fruity hair and designer shades. Now who should be banned??
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
now the eight strings were already useless... nine ist just stupid.

emg should be banned.
Excuse me? I hope you're kidding.. If not, then: If you can't play more than 6 or 7 strings, it doesn't mean that 8 or 9 is useless and stupid.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostStorm View Post
Excuse me? I hope you're kidding.. If not, then: If you can't play more than 6 or 7 strings, it doesn't mean that 8 or 9 is useless and stupid.
It is not about playability (which is not as good as the fretboard becomes to wide), it is also harmonic facts:
a 7th low string closes the gap to the base player.
a 7string downtuned is already many times at least 1 string in the bass players range.
8 strings = you could reason with me that this is slightly usefull as it would make it less important to downtune the other strings (keep the guitar in standard tuning) while skipping in parts that usually the bass should play, but you want distorted

9 string: you are way in the bassplayers region (I guess some might even downtune that lol) and harmonic progression from the high E (if you did not downtune) to the lowest string in a scale that is not overloaded or I would not like to open my veines for when hearing it is not likely.
also you could argue special needs (higher strings, or two strings with same tuning etc.), however the people I know that could make use of such an instrument are so rare, that most of those players already own such special weapons, custom made. I cannot envision a mass produced modell for this. (you can get such beasts from basslab for example)

but hey: I am always open minded. if you buy one and post a video giving a demonstration what this beast is for (mass produced), let me know and I might make up my mind.

And I sure hope before you post such a thing, that you can make use of those strings. As I have seen several people with 7s and about 30% of the people I have seen play 7s really make use of that guitar in a reasonable way, as many do not understand how scales expand over the new string. Many just use it because they do not want to switch downtuned guitars between songs and many of those folk actually would need a 3 string powermush guitar. (No idea if they play actual powerchords as most of the time you cannot hear which chord they play anyways.)
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
EMG makes a great product. It's not for everyone, but there's no denying it's abilities. It seems most Jemsiters are DiMarzio fan boys. Look at some of Petruccis DiMarzio ads with his fruity hair and designer shades. Now who should be banned??
nah we are most comfy with Seymore Duncans, Harry DeArmond, Lace Sensor, Lundgren, Fralin, Rhodes and others too... we just do not like EMGs. But hey it does not mean that they make a bad product, to each his own.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:18 PM

Wink Re: Agile making a 9-string???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
It is not about playability (which is not as good as the fretboard becomes to wide), it is also harmonic facts:
a 7th low string closes the gap to the base player.
a 7string downtuned is already many times at least 1 string in the bass players range.
8 strings = you could reason with me that this is slightly usefull as it would make it less important to downtune the other strings (keep the guitar in standard tuning) while skipping in parts that usually the bass should play, but you want distorted

9 string: you are way in the bassplayers region (I guess some might even downtune that lol) and harmonic progression from the high E (if you did not downtune) to the lowest string in a scale that is not overloaded or I would not like to open my veines for when hearing it is not likely.
also you could argue special needs (higher strings, or two strings with same tuning etc.), however the people I know that could make use of such an instrument are so rare, that most of those players already own such special weapons, custom made. I cannot envision a mass produced modell for this. (you can get such beasts from basslab for example)

but hey: I am always open minded. if you buy one and post a video giving a demonstration what this beast is for (mass produced), let me know and I might make up my mind.

And I sure hope before you post such a thing, that you can make use of those strings. As I have seen several people with 7s and about 30% of the people I have seen play 7s really make use of that guitar in a reasonable way, as many do not understand how scales expand over the new string. Many just use it because they do not want to switch downtuned guitars between songs and many of those folk actually would need a 3 string powermush guitar. (No idea if they play actual powerchords as most of the time you cannot hear which chord they play anyways.)
Ofcourse everyone's entitled to their opinion.. I am not going to buy a 9-string guitar, all I meant is that in capable hands 9 strings could be very innovative. I'd like to see what 9-stringer would sound in the hands of.. say, Devin Townsend. As far as I'm concerned, he makes very good use of his 6 and 7 stringers and he also uses cool tunings, like open C or open B.

Tosin Abasi makes some cool stuff with his 8-stringer too. And I like meshuggah, they're cool also. I don't know if they even have a bassist in the band, since they're tuned so low. Sounds good to me anyway.

Hmm.. I think someone from sevenstring.org has a schecter hellraiser c-8 and he plays some very cool tapping stuff with it. Clean sounds and so on.

I am going to build myself a 8-stringer just to try it out. If it isn't my thing, I'll just warm my sauna with it. If I'll be able to handle it, I'll make sure I post vids here. I hope you weren't offended by the message I wrote about being able to play the 9 string guitars, as I meant nothing bad with it. You just seemed to condemn the whole idea of playing a 9 stringer.

Tags
8 string , 8-string , 9 string , 9-string , agile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode