Alder vs. Basswood - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Alder vs. Basswood

Does anyone have any opinions on Alder as a body wood for 7 strings, especially compared with the standard Basswood found in RGs & UVs??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 08:33 PM

My three favorite woods for a 7 string are in descending order: swamp ash; alder; and basswood. There is some similarity between the three in that they all have very clear highs and a crisp low end. I think basswood is a little more neutral than alder or ash and that makes it a little better for use with a high gain rig or a lot of pedals, but all three work well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 11:26 PM

I've found that with the guitars that I have owned, basswood can vary quite a bit. My UVPWH is really really fat and meaty, but an old 7620 I had was really super bright. My JPM and RG Art (also basswood) are both right down the center, super balanced between lows, mids and highs; simply awesome sounding guitars.

When inquiring with Darren about a body and swirl job at ATD, he explained that the J-custom, signature and UV bodies that are basswood are constructed of American Basswood, while the standard RG line were Asian Basswood...can't verify as fact, but my experience, as scientifically insignificant as it may be, seems to support that there is a difference...but again, each piece of wood is different, no matter what.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 02:24 AM

i think most basswood ive played can tend to sound transparent-ish, that is, unless the guitar is loaded with some kinda middy pickup, ie. Blaze Custom & Tone Zone perhaps
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2004, 04:27 PM

I happen to love alder- it handles depth well, a great, clear attack, and has a nice upper mid curve to it that kills for lead lines, as well. That said, basswood isn't half bad- it's very "balanced" tonally, and lends itself well to the extended register, to my ears.

So, I'm lusting after an alder custom job, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying my 7620.

-D
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2004, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
My three favorite woods for a 7 string are in descending order: swamp ash; alder; and basswood. There is some similarity between the three in that they all have very clear highs and a crisp low end. I think basswood is a little more neutral than alder or ash and that makes it a little better for use with a high gain rig or a lot of pedals, but all three work well.
What have you found to be the difference between swamp ash and alder?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2004, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbjammin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
What have you found to be the difference between swamp ash and alder?
The most obvious issue is cosmetics. Alder is quite plain while Swamp Ash can be really spectacularly beautiful. The tone can be quite similar although ash can be VERY inconsistent depending a lot on the density. Given a moderately light piece of ash, I find the highs to be just a little more pronounced than alder while alder is slightly smoother.

Tags
sounding guitar , swamp ash , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode