Are all AANJs identical? S O S - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Are all AANJs identical? S O S

Ok, so here's the issue,
I have a Perle replacement body, noticed one of the screw holes on the heel is about an 1/8" out when I tried to mount a RG5EX1 neck(the others fit perfect). To my knowledge, the RG5s are a standard 3 piece wizard II neck. Do all AANJs have the same spacing? otherwise, Im guessing they botched the spacing on the body when they made it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:45 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Are all AANJs identical? S O S

Sadly...I think the botched spacing is you issue.
You are right that the screw placement is the same on all RG AANJ's, but the size of the screw used is different between the Wizard II and the original Wizard (and all of it's variants)

Using the incorrect location on your body will not hurt your neck/neckjoint as long as the distance is not more than the 1/8 inch you stated. just be sure to pre-drill a hole in the neck (in the new location) with an 1/8" bit....just be VERY careful not to drill so deep that you hit the fretboard.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:46 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
You are right that the screw placement is the same on all RG AANJ's, but the size of the screw used is different between the Wizard II and the original Wizard (and all of it's variants)

be VERY careful not to drill so deep that you hit the fretboard.
From my understanding there IS a difference in the the placement of screws in RG AANJs. This difference is seen between Japanese, Korean and Indonesian necks. I have encountered this in builds that I have done previously and I believe that there is a post on it somewhere on here that should be found easy enough with a quick search.

I would suggest that the neck you have may be drilled for a Japanese made neck. If you can get a Japanese neck you may have to fill the hole and re redrill.

To get the right depth for the neck when drilling, simply place the drill bit in to one of the existing neck holes and use some tape to mark the height, mark up the location of the new hole and drill - preferably with a bench drill for obvious reasons.

I hope I have understood this request correctly. Good Luck.

-Wolfram
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys! this is why I love jemsite
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:07 PM

Reviews: 4

Sorry for the late reply but there is about a 1mm difference between japanese and korean necks. I had to dowel and redrill my korean neck to fit a MIJ Body.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 04:53 PM

I am experiencing the same thing on my perle fireman..cept all the holes are up and to the right, JUST
outside the original holes..when I bolted it up to the existing neck holes the neck just dosent sit right..when I set it in the pocket it fits beautiful. Im thinkin I need to dowel and redrill right
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:26 PM

sadly, yes you'll want to re-drill new holes........ Of course there's the option of sending it back to Nate and asking for a body that actually fits correctly.......... Hopefully you did a test fit before doing any finish work.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 PM

yeah...ive already stained the body as i got it way before my neck...so thats on me....but i dont mind drilling the holes if thats what i have to do, like i said when i fit the neck in the pocket flush it looks perfect, nice and straight with the bridge and pickups and all...check the mockup pic in my "my fireman project begins!" thread. its sitting in the pocket there...so would i be good to go if i just mark the body holes to the neck when its nice and flush in the pocket and re drill??...also do i glue the holes and then install the dowels...never done that before but i assume i get some that fit nice and snug and tap em in with glue?

oh and to the OP sorry to jack your thread....

Last edited by craigny; 08-30-2011 at 05:51 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 PM

hey craig...what you want to do is go to "Home Lowes" and find a dowel that is slightly larger than the holes you'll be filling (I think you want a 1/4" piece) then walk over to tools and grab a drill bit of the same size..... then walk over to the adhesives and get a small bottle of Titebond or Titebond II.....(I've heard Titebond III is bad for guitar work, I use it all the time, but better safe than sorry)

With supplies in hand you'll want to put something into each individual hole to mark it's depth (toothpicks work well). With a sharp pencil, put a mark on the tooth pick where it is flush with the outside of the neck....you now have a depth gauge for each hole. put a piece of masking tape around the bit slightly closer to the tip than your guage says to......it's better to leave a little room for the glue (I'm talking 1mm here, not a 1/4")

As straight as you can, drill the hole to depth. repeat this process for all 4 holes individually (don't assume the depth is the same for all 4 holes).

Using a toothpick, liberally coat the inside of one hole and the end of the dowel pin (now that you know the depth of each hole, you can pre-cut your dowels to be a little longer). Insert the dowel into the hole...this should require a little effort because of the glue but use some common sense, If it has to be forced in then something got into the hole...pull out the dowel and start over.

Once they're in (this should only take about 10-15 minutes) let them dry as long as possible....I leave things untouched for 24 hours. Once they're all dry you can sand the dowels flush. Now your ready for those new holes!!!!

Take pics during the process and post them up for everybody to see, even if you make mistakes...show those too!! It will benefit everyone!!!

Ryc
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 06:14 PM

Great Ryc, but only use Titebond I. All the others are subject to creep. Not too crucial for the application in question, but I like to make a habit of only using "Guitar Doctor Approved" glues, finishes, and polishes and materials in general.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:58 PM

Ryc..thanks so much man.. this is great info. I'll be starting this tomorrow I will also take pics. Also wanted to sak, I had to thread the screws through the holes in the body as they were like pilot holes..is thats how its supposed to be or should the screws pass freely through and thread only in the neck? also there are 2 longer screws and two shorter screws. I'm assuming that too longer ones are for the two bottom holes as the body seems to be thinner on top of the neck joint...also would they have this glue at home depot?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 PM

yes, the holes in the body should be threaded......I don't know why it's done that way, but it is that way on stock Ibanez bodies. IIRC, the two longer screws go closer to the bridge.... I don't have an AANJ body handy to tell for sure though. Yes, Home Depot definitely has Titebond wood glue, just buy the small size unless you plan to do MANY more projects. This is what the bottle looks like:

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM

Ok great ill have to be a little careful around the bottom right side hole when im opening it up..there is a little cracking going on around the top going down bout 1/4 inch...it holds.a.screw fine but I think I could crack that piece off if im not careful. Or perhaps put a smaller dowel in that hole without drilling it??? I think I can drill it if im careful..whadaya think?
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:50 PM

You need to drill it........ if you just shove a dowel in there (even a smaller one) you run the risk of putting outward force on the surrounding wood....that could easily lead to cracks in the neck over time....... can you post some pics of the hole in question??
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 PM

I will tomorrow morn..

Tags
rg5ex1 aanj issue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode